• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlmx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Should I have any concern about the gaping hole between the back of the magazine and the back of the grip (on the bottom of the grip)? I would guess if some sort of cover was needed, then Glock would have provided a solution. Does the gap serve a functional purpose?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It makes it easier to rip the mag out if there is a malfunction that requires it. That said, all my Glocks had Glockmeister "buttplugs" installed. Never had a problem. It was one less place for dust/lint to collect.

CAT 1000B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    I have never plugged the gap in the grip on my Glocks and they have always functioned great. I just blow out the lint and dust from this area when I clean my guns. I've never really been into "buttplugs".

Last edited:

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I am a glock armorer. This subject came up in at least two of the recerts I have attended. That "hole" is there to let debris fall/drain out of the glock's innards. If you plug it, you are defeating a feature that contributes to glocks reliability and all weather all conditions functioning. I carry a glock everyday at work for the last 10 years and have never had a problem with a failure due to lint, dirt, what have you entering the gap. The grip plug is a totally unnecessary item that somebody is making a lot of money off of. Save your cash or spend it on an extra mag or something.

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    +1 to GPD177 who said it better than this Glock armorer could have said it. No plugs for me or any Glock I encounter!

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Batteries, tactical Slim Jims, firestarter, money...what else does a well-equipped Glock need in that handy reservoir?

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    That "hole" is there to let debris fall/drain out of the glock's innards. If you plug it, you are defeating a feature that contributes to glocks reliability and all weather all conditions functioning

That’s strange I always thought that area up in side was a dead end I also thought the whole area in general was a leftover over when the Gen one G17 first came out…. The bottom area was concave so as to allow for a positive grip with your thumb when extracting a fully charged magazine (prior to drop free mags) or if a mag hung up. I was also under the assumption the smaller hole on the back strap was for an option such as a lanyard which was and is still popular with service side arms.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I put a plug in to act as a mini mag well/funnel. I kept getting cartridge rims hung up on the concave piece, slowing my reloads. before switching to glock my eye/brain was used to naturally centering the mag in the opening, and on a glock that has you hitting the concave bit at the bottom/rear rear of the mag well. w/ the plug in now all I see is the actual opening for the mag and reloads are much smooter and more consistent...

-rvb

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I am a glock armorer. This subject came up in at least two of the recerts I have attended. That "hole" is there to let debris fall/drain out of the glock's innards. If you plug it, you are defeating a feature that contributes to glocks reliability and all weather all conditions functioning. I carry a glock everyday at work for the last 10 years and have never had a problem with a failure due to lint, dirt, what have you entering the gap. The grip plug is a totally unnecessary item that somebody is making a lot of money off of. Save your cash or spend it on an extra mag or something.
    This is exactly what I was going to relay as it was explained to me by another Glock Armorer.

OP, how's it going on your quest to 50 "quality posts"?

At least he's asking intelligent questions instead of "yep", "no", "interesting", or "cool".

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    That "hole" is there to let debris fall/drain out of the glock's innards. If you plug it, you are defeating a feature that contributes to glocks reliability and all weather all conditions functioning

I stand corrected, I had to go look and sure enough you can a tiny bit of light on the other side of the trigger pin up in there, pretty neat.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I usually put them on my Glocks.. I know the reasoning behind the hole but I figure there's room for a lot of "debris" in there before causing any problem. Seems to me that any debris that would build up in there would need to come in from the top and I can't imagine that being an issue, for me personally.. AND I like the looks of it plugged rather than gaping open. . Just MHO.
    There's certainly nothing wrong with leaving it open if that's your preference but I really don't see any drawback in almost any circumstance to plugging it.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Top Bottom