• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Counselor1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    I bought a used glock 20. I also reload and buy professionally reloaded rounds (Georgia Arms, Precision, etc). When I started firing this used Glock, I notice that I would have a few fail to fire. I examized the non-fired round and noticed that the primer was struck but there was only a small dimple in the primer. I thought maybe the firing pin spring needed to be replace, so I replaced it. However, the problem still exists. I am wondering if maybe I need to replace the firing pin itself. I do not know how many rounds the firearm had through it before I bought it. I was told it was a police trade-in, so I am figuring quite a few. If any one can shed some light on my problem orcan direct me to a gunsmith that could examine and address the problem, I would greatly appreciate it. I am out of Lafayette, but have no problems traveling to Indy on the weekend to have the firearm serviced. Any open Sundays?

I know the rounds aren't the problem, because when I had some failed to fire (even with the primer strike)rounds ;), I loaded the rounds in a newer Glock 20, and the rounds fired.

Thanks in advance.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Remove the slide from the frame. Depress the firing pin block plunger and shake the slide back and forth to see if the firing pin is moving freely, you should hear it bouncing back and forth. If it isn't you have enough gunk in the firing pin channel to cause an issue and it needs to be completely disassembled and cleaned out.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Remove the slide from the frame. Depress the firing pin block plunger and shake the slide back and forth to see if the firing pin is moving freely, you should hear it bouncing back and forth. If it isn't you have enough gunk in the firing pin channel to cause an issue and it needs to be completely disassembled and cleaned out.

And then don't over oil once you get it cleaned out.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    If the above mentioned doesn't work or you still find yourself in need of a gunsmith let me know, I can get you the number to one that does alot of work for indy area gunshops.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Just a side note, I have acquired alot of used guns over the years and always give them a complete cleaning before attempting to fire them. I check for crack and bent items and I check for the overall function of the gun. To take a dirty gun that has a questionable past to the range and expect it to perform- well good luck with that.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Counselor1977 brought his gun by the shop yesterday and I took a look at it. Upon detail stripping the slide, I could not find any obvious defects on the firing pin itself, though it was the older version. I cleaned the firing pin channel out; got rid of some brass shavings and grease residue. No issue with the channel liner that I could see. The firing pin spring was found to be 1/8" to 1/4" shorter than a new OEM spring; replaced it. Also replaced the firing pin with a current production version, per customer request. Instructed him to re-lube sparingly, test-fire, and report back. We'll see what happens!

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Yep, GLOCKs don't need much oil at all. Just a few drops.

glock-1.jpg

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Counselor1977 brought his gun by the shop yesterday and I took a look at it. Upon detail stripping the slide, I could not find any obvious defects on the firing pin itself, though it was the older version. I cleaned the firing pin channel out; got rid of some brass shavings and grease residue. No issue with the channel liner that I could see. The firing pin spring was found to be 1/8" to 1/4" shorter than a new OEM spring; replaced it. Also replaced the firing pin with a current production version, per customer request. Instructed him to re-lube sparingly, test-fire, and report back. We'll see what happens!

:+1: you are the "man"..... :rockwoot:

Top Bottom