• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    22 posts in less then an hour. I wonder what he is wanting to sell?

He's all over the place, to be sure. HOPEFULLY it's not a race to the classifieds, but sure seems to be...

In any case, in an attempt to get back on topic, IF this leaked 42 is real, and it seems to be, I find it amusing that it's gone back to the non-finger-groove design of the Gen 1 and 2 guns. Not sure why they would have done that on a new product - unless, and I hope it's the case, we'll see them go to something like a Gen 2 grip design with RTF2 or at least Gen 4 style texturing on the grips on new designs? FNH pretty much did that with the FNS I just got and it's got me wishing Glock would do something similar...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I can understand the lack of finger grooves. Hard to place those bumbs on a small grip in such a way that it will fit a majority of people.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    He's all over the place, to be sure. HOPEFULLY it's not a race to the classifieds, but sure seems to be...

In any case, in an attempt to get back on topic, IF this leaked 42 is real, and it seems to be, I find it amusing that it's gone back to the non-finger-groove design of the Gen 1 and 2 guns. Not sure why they would have done that on a new product - unless, and I hope it's the case, we'll see them go to something like a Gen 2 grip design with RTF2 or at least Gen 4 style texturing on the grips on new designs? FNH pretty much did that with the FNS I just got and it's got me wishing Glock would do something similar...

I can understand the lack of finger grooves. Hard to place those bumbs on a small grip in such a way that it will fit a majority of people.

Yep, I'm thinking that is the case as well.

I'm guessing it is also in an effort to make it as concealable/thin as possible, same reason for no removable backstraps, etc I'm guessing (just like S&W did with the Shield regarding the backstrap). I'm kind of doubting Glock will remove them from the larger guns, but it would be cool if they started offering additional variants that did not change the internals (for parts compatibility) on the larger guns.

Borock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Sometimes I want a little gun conceal completely and use to give me time to run. I have a KelTec P-3AT which I love for that very reason, but I prefer Glocks and the G42 will be a nice purchase for me.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Why doesn't the Glock get points for the loaded chamber indicator? That bump on the extractor that lets you feel if one is in the chamber should count for 5 more points which would give the G25/G28 enough points to be importable. If not, they could have done a minor mod to it to make it protrude enough or show red when loaded to get them over the 80 point hurdle. In my opinion, the 25/28 did not bring enough to the table to be worth the effort to bring in. It gives nothing over a G19 or G26 except a bit lighter recoil. Now, the 42 does bring a bit to the table in that it's new enough that people will buy it because it's the smallest Glock they can buy right now. Then, a year or two later when the .380 sales have slowed to a normal pace, they will offer the 9mm version and the sales will take off again. If they released the 9mm first, the .380 would not generate many sales if released after for the same reason a G28 would not generate many sales today. By releasing the G42 in .380 first, they get to ride two buying frenzies just like Sig did with the P238 and then the P938 a couple of years after. If the single stack pistols do well enough, maybe they'll do a 10mm version of the G36 down the road.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have a LCP that I took in on trade
    My Wife has a TCP
    I bought my Daughter a LC380 (But I won't let her have it until she gets her LTCH

The LC380 is a nice shooter with low recoil.
    Both my Wife and Daughter are very accurate with it.
    I told her about the Glock 42 and she said "That has my name all over it" She has a G17 with night sights and 3.5 lb trigger kit that she shoots very well.

So it sounds like we will be adding one to our stable.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Is there anway someone will make a 9mm conversion with barrel and magazine? Or is the 9mm round to big for this .380 platform??

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    May be the newest and hardest toy to find in 2014, anybody seeing large numbers of the Glock 30S showing up anywhere? Glock-42 could be just as hard to find in the year to come.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Is there anway someone will make a 9mm conversion with barrel and magazine? Or is the 9mm round to big for this .380 platform??

While the same spring can work with the 40 and 357 SIG (Sig offers the barrel with the 226 and 229 as an option) An you can buy other barrels the 380 is a little different and would more than likely have to have a different guiderod/springs. Not a big deal to some but unless you are just a rabid 380 fan It would be better to just get something in 9mm. Most or close to everything in 380 can be had in 9mm, JNHO

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    No need for a 380 myself, and honestly, not sure I'd go for a single stack 9mm either, but it would be more tempting. I'm not real interested in going the route of pocket carry with a Glock, even with a good pocket holster, and if I am going to hang it on my belt, might was well go with the 26 or a 19,

I'll reserve judgement on the size until I see one in person and can handle it, but I can make the call on a .380 now and so, no thanks.

Okimeister

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Glock has been trying to get a 380 in the US for years but the ATF wouldn't allow the importation of them. Has something to do with the design, import requirements etc. just can't remember exactly what it was.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Glock has been trying to get a 380 in the US for years but the ATF wouldn't allow the importation of them. Has something to do with the design, import requirements etc. just can't remember exactly what it was.
    I feel like we've been over this.
    chezuki said:
    Monkey,

If I'm not mistaken, those European .380 Glocks were fairly big-sized guns, and not really concealable at all.
    The are the same size as the 26/27 and the 19/23, and are blowback rather than locked breech.

They didn't meet the point requirements for import, and to my knowledge, Glock hasn't yet made any of these models in the USA. Being the same size as their .40 and 9mm counterparts, and being that "military calibers" are not restricted here like they are in some places (Mexico for example), I don't see much market for those models in the States. Though I'd prefer a 9mm, there may well be a market for a sub-compact single-stack "Pocket Glock".

Here's the point system explained:

Here's some more info on the "point" system. The Glock 26 just makes it with 75 points.

What is the BATF points system and how does it affect Glocks?
    Many of the Glock's parts and sometimes the whole gun are dictated or limited by the BATF's system of "import points". To qualify for import a pistol must score 75 points based on the following system:

Characteristic Points
    Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1
    Forged steel frame 15
    Forged HTS alloy frame 20
    Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1
    .22 short and .25 auto 0
    .22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3
    9mm parabellum and over 10
    Locked breech mechanism 5
    Loaded chamber indicator 5
    Grip safety 3
    Magazine safety 5
    Firing pin block or lock 10
    External hammer 2
    Double action 10
    Drift adjustable target sight 5
    Click adjustable target sight 10
    Target grips 5
    Target trigger 2

For example, here is how the G17 scores:
    Length (7.28") 5
    Weight (24.79oz) 25
    Caliber (9mm) 10
    Locked breech 5
    Firing pin block 10
    Double action 10
    Target sight 10
    Target grips 5
    Total 80

Here is how the Glock 26 scores:
    Length (6.29") 1
    Weight (21.87oz) 22
    Caliber (9mm) 10
    Locked breech 5
    Firing pin block 10
    Double action 10
    Target sight 10
    Target grips 5
    Target trigger 2
    Total 75

Changes and features made to Glocks to comply with the BATF rules:
    - all models are imported with a cheap click-adjustable rear sight that is replaced at the factory with the stock sight
    - target (grooved) trigger added to compacts & subcompacts
    - target grips added to all models (required for the subcompacts)
    - due to their caliber, .380 autos (G25 & G28) do not score enough points to be imported

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The problem with the gun is that the other 380s out there are smaller like the lcp sig kahr etc… I would go with there 9mm counter parts before carrying this glock as they are pretty much the same size… :dunno:

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    If you want one and it doesnt exist, get a db380, it's the SAME gun. Honestly not sure how they've gotten away without a patent infringment lawsuit.

Top Bottom