• Which would you choose?

• Total voters
    Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Glock = EDC

Kel tec = good backup/boot gun

This.
    I have both (well a G27, but...) and don't carry the PF9 as a primary weapon unless its a deep concealment issue. Moreover, I'd never grab the PF9 in a home defense situation.

That said, its size is nice...but stick with a the glock if a EDC.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    This is my opinion. Having owned both, the glock 26 wins hands down. Shooting the kel-tec once may not be enough to realize you don't like it either. I suggest putting at least 100 rounds through it before you decide on purchasing it.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I like the PF-9 becouse of size but i would take the G26 becouse of parts availability and reliability..

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have a Glock 26 and it is one of the easiest guns I own to CC. You get tons of versatility with the Glock 26, you can leave the mags stock (so they are flush with the grip) for easy CC, you can put the finger extension on the mags to make it a bit more comfortable to shoot, or you can get the g19 mags with the grip extender if you want to carry 15 rounds. Best of all three worlds.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    The Glock 26 is no doubt a more refined pistol. Having said that, I bought a Kel-Tec last year and while the finish and look is not nearly as nice as a Glock or Springfield Armory I have been very happy with my purchase.

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    keep in mind guys, I'm not really "comparing" the 2 guns....these are just the 2 I have it narrowed down to for purchase. I know it's like comparing a Toyota and a BMW....but I like them both and just wanted opinions.

I like what I read one time about this situation:
    "If you had to choose between the pf9 and the g26, and whichever one you DIDN'T choose went to the badguy in the firefight, which one would you bet your life on?"

I watched about 5 hrs. worth of youtube videos last night on the g26 (and weeks of the pf9 previously lol) and I'm leaning more toward the g26 at this very moment.

I can't see ever going somewhere I have to be SOOOO deep conceal that I need a pf9 in my pocket....the gun was gonna ride in a holster any time I carry it.
    Also being a large frame guy, I figure even the g26 is gonna ride pretty nicely.

I guess when I go shopping in the next couple of months I will just have to check them both out in person and go from there. I may think I like 1 over the other but in person I may hate how it feels in the hand and not get it anyway!

hunterft6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Noblesville/Fishers
    If you are constrained to pocket or ankle carry, I would choose the PF9. If your lifestyle/mode of dress allows for any other options, I would choose the G26 without a doubt. The G26 is not hard to conceal, but it is not a pocket gun, at least in my opinion.

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    keep in mind guys, I'm not really "comparing" the 2 guns....these are just the 2 I have it narrowed down to for purchase. I know it's like comparing a Toyota and a BMW....but I like them both and just wanted opinions.

I like what I read one time about this situation:
    "If you had to choose between the pf9 and the g26, and whichever one you DIDN'T choose went to the badguy in the firefight, which one would you bet your life on?"

I watched about 5 hrs. worth of youtube videos last night on the g26 (and weeks of the pf9 previously lol) and I'm leaning more toward the g26 at this very moment.

I can't see ever going somewhere I have to be SOOOO deep conceal that I need a pf9 in my pocket....the gun was gonna ride in a holster any time I carry it.
    Also being a large frame guy, I figure even the g26 is gonna ride pretty nicely.

I guess when I go shopping in the next couple of months I will just have to check them both out in person and go from there. I may think I like 1 over the other but in person I may hate how it feels in the hand and not get it anyway!

If you're a larger framed guy, you should look into something larger and even larger in caliber. Just my :twocents:, but I'm 6'3" and float from 165lbs to 180lbs thanks to this awesome metabolism of mine :). I carry a G26 in OD, a G23C, or a Taurus 605. If I can hip carry a midsized frame like the G23C with just a hoodie, you could probably do much better.

One thing I absolutely LOVE about these Glocks though, I can carry my standard G26 with larger backup mags. IE, my standard backup magazine will be that of a G19. When I plug that second mag in at the range, there are no feed issues, no retention issues, it fires just as if the shorty 10rd is in there. Having the two Glocks, I also don't have to buy a million different holsters...:yesway:

You really are comparing a BMW to a Toyota though. Both will function, both will hit as well as you practice, but it's not even a fair comparison to me. Go with Glock.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Glock 26...pretty simple decision!

Nice thing about a subcompact Glock...you can put a Glock Model 17 or 19 magazine, along with an A&G Grip Spacer on the G-26...and have a 15 or 17 round magazine with a full-sized grip on it, on the smaller Glock. We did it with my wife's 26...and she loves it! :twocents:

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    If you're a larger framed guy, you should look into something larger and even larger in caliber.

Technically I'm sure I COULD get something larger....but I know I would never carry it if it's bigger or heavier!

I'm using this as an example because believe it or not, it was my carry piece for a short period of time....whether anyone likes it or not! lol

I use to carry a hipoint c9....and because of that gun alone, I want something smaller and lighter! That thing was a brick! Forget the fact it was ugly as none other, it was just plain too heavy/big for me to comfortably carry!

If a gun is too big and bulky, I won't carry it! If I'm not gonna carry it, there is no point in owning it! A really nice gun won't do me any good sitting on my nightstand at home while I'm out with the family!

So far the g26 is still my top pick right now. I REALLY love the size/weight factor of the pf9, but I'm liking the fact that I can use bigger mags for the g26 expanding the capacity AND it will make it easier to use at the range for extended shooting periods!

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    Thats a really good point Zombiehunter, if you're not going to feel comfortable, you probably won't find yourself wearing it. There really are a million options out there though, it's all just a matter of preference. Are you aware that the G27 is essentially the same frame as the G26, but chambered in .40 S&W, rather than 9mm? So you'd effectively be carrying the same size pistol, with a little more punch. Once again, it's all just a matter of preference and what you can feel comfortable with. Best of luck with your decision though!

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    lol chow40cal....its funny you posted about the g27 because I just started reading about it. I didn't realize how many options there were when it comes to "modifying" the glocks! I mean, I can buy a g27 and have a 40 cal. and then buy a lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel and basically have a g26 for cheaper target shooting!

AND if I really felt the need, I could even buy a .22 conversion for the g27! (not that I would, I'd rather buy a dedicated .22)

Edbean: I just got an email about that too, but I don't like the price on it! I'd rather save the money and get a pf9....but I'm leaning WAY more toward the g26 tho (or g27 now)

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    One thing about the conversions. If youre using them only for target practice then great. If youre going to mod the .40 to a 9mm and carry the 9mm be careful. Im not saying its not reliable, but youre using .40 cal springs, .40 cal ejectors, etc.

Conversion barrel mod for targets is great, I wouldnt trust my life with it for an every day carry.

And if you havent tried the .40 yet, please do. I did, and hated it. Its too snappy for my taste but others swear by it. if you have and like it.. GO BUY THE GLOCK! hah

(I own a glock 19, my avatar is me shooting my friends glock 23 (.40))

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    glock if you can afford it...The glock has a much better reputation than the Kel-tecs...Just go to any gun shop and talk to the people who sell them and deal with the issues with Kel Tec...You will have zero issues with your glock...kel tecs and glocks are not in the same class...Ask 100 gun owners and 90% will agree.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    !

The pf9 is not better than a g26...They better have a warranty because you are going to need it. I have shot 1000's of rounds in my Glock 19 with no failures..NONE..PERIOD...Things that are different are not the same...The PF9 is thinner and a good backup/pocket gun but I would not trust my life to this gun if I could afford a Glock...I have a Glock 26 on layaway right now and it is $489 at Elmore's....Wait a few weeks and get the Glock you wont regret it!
    There is no comparison the PF9 is better. Great warrentee, Kel Tec really sticks behind there stuff, and they should, its a great value. Why pay more for the same thing, the PF9 is thinner, and with practice just as accurate. Some people will say that you can't put the hot loads in the PF9, and they are right, but i don't know of anyone who fires hot loads in a sub compact. Well not with any accuracy anyway.

Some people will also say the trigger pull on the PF9 is crap compaired with he glock, I personally like that the PF9 doesn't have a safety, so yes they make the trigger harder to pull, work with that too and soon you will have that under control as well.

this all being said there is nothing wrong with the glock, its a great gun.

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    oh no, I would never do a barrel conversion for self defense....only for cheaper target shooting!

I go back and forth between the g26 and g27 now. lol I've never shot a 40 cal. before but I'm sure I can train myself to get use to the extra recoil it has over the 9mm.

I guess it's all gonna depend on what is in stock when I go to make my purchase in a month or 2! :)

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    oh no, I would never do a barrel conversion for self defense....only for cheaper target shooting!

I go back and forth between the g26 and g27 now. lol I've never shot a 40 cal. before but I'm sure I can train myself to get use to the extra recoil it has over the 9mm.

I guess it's all gonna depend on what is in stock when I go to make my purchase in a month or 2! :)

I've fired my G26, my brother's 26, my buddy's 27, and I own a 23C. The 27 is a little more stout than our 26s, but the 23C is even lighter than my 26. The 23C is compensated/ported, and its recoil is really more akin to that of a stout .380...

Find some friends with 27s or 23s, or talk to some huge Glock fans that have several frames and calibers. You'll be surprised by a .40 in that it's definitely more than a 9mm, but still entirely manageable.

On day 1, we put about 500 rounds through my 23C, and at least 200 through my buddy's 27...my wrist is doing just fine and I really didn't have any discomfort.

Just make sure to shop around, do your research, and consider that you can run 9mm barrels in the .40s...

lol chow40cal....its funny you posted about the g27 because I just started reading about it. I didn't realize how many options there were when it comes to "modifying" the glocks! I mean, I can buy a g27 and have a 40 cal. and then buy a lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel and basically have a g26 for cheaper target shooting!

AND if I really felt the need, I could even buy a .22 conversion for the g27! (not that I would, I'd rather buy a dedicated .22)

Top Bottom