• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've been dying to get into practical pistol shooting lately. Last year I had to sell all of my guns after an untimely layoff. I'm slowly buying some now that I'm gainfully employed again. I'm looking at buying a Glock 23 for carry and thinking of using a Lone Wolf barrel in 9mm to shoot USPSA.

Any thoughts or ideas on this pistol for competition?

Thanks

Joe

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I am not familiar with the Glock numbers. How large is that gun?

EatMeerkats

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    I am not familiar with the Glock numbers. How large is that gun?
    If I remember correctly, the 23 is the compact .40. It won't be idea for USPSA, but it'll work. I know of at least one person who shoots one in USPSA. Something to keep in mind is that conversion barrels aren't legal in Production division, so you'd have to shoot it in Limited 10. At that point, you might as well shoot .40 and get major scoring though. Why not consider a Glock 17 or 19? Having shot a sub-compact in competition last week, you will be at a significant disadvantage with a smaller gun.

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm thinking about a 23 because I've shot a 23 before and I'm comfortable with it as a hd/ccw gun. My main concern is a hd/ccw gun in .40 - the whole shooting in ISPSA is extra. I'm looking for a solid .40 for ccw that I can also shoot in competition.

Joe

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This is just my opinion. I am against compacts and sub compacts because they are very difficult to grip and therefore difficult to shoot. I understand that CC is easier with a small gun, but if you are carrying it the most important thing at the critical momment will be to hit.

I think a gun with a full size grip and at least a four inch barrel is best both for carry can competition.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    A G23 would work just fine. That's what I started with until I moved to the 9mm Glocks because ammo for the .40 was getting rare. I've seen a couple of guys who shoot USPSA/IDPA with the G19/23 models.

I'd recommend a Storm Lake barrel over the Lone Wolf. Since you are using this as a carry gun, you might look at the Straight 8 night sites, as they are pretty good for carry and competition.

You can also look into a 3.5 connector or check out a Vanek trigger if you want a smoother pull.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I think a gun with a full size grip and at least a four inch barrel is best both for carry can competition.

G23 has a 4 inch barrel and a full size grip. I actually prefer the G19/23 grip to the G34... but I know you don't care because it's a Glock :D

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I know of at least one person who shoots one in USPSA.

Uh, that would be me. He's correct that the gun will certainly work, and you will have a great time with it...all the while getting better with your carry gun (I carry mine). You can shoot the gun with a few minor mods in Production, but I've done a few more that pushed mine into Limited.

I shoot Limited-10, just because a fully loaded 13-round mag in my 23 doesn't begin to match up to a fully loaded 17-rounder in the full frame .40 cal Limited guns. At least in L10, we ALL have to reload just as often.

You will definitely want another comp gun for later, but hey why not buy a few. Besides, you'll probably want to trick out the comp gun a little differently than the carry gun anyway.

PM me if you want more info on some of the pros and cons I've experienced with the G23 or with some of the mods to the gun. It's a great carry gun and, even though it will limit you a little in competition, it's great fun there too.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I think you'll be at a significant disadvantage with a Glock 23, but if that's all you have you might as well use it. I have a Glock 19, which uses the same frame and has the same dimensions as the Glock 23, but it's a 9mm. I also have a Glock 34 and a Glock 35. The larger grip on the full size glocks makes them much easier (and quicker) for me to shoot, and they are noticibly more accurate, mainly due to the longer sight radius.

Eatmeerkats is right... you will not be able to shoot the gun in production division if you get a 9mm conversion barrel. You're better off shooting 40 in limited or limited-10, or you can shoot 40 in production, but you won't be able to take advantage of major scoring.

IMO, Glock makes a pretty good barrel. I'd keep the stock one unless you plan on shooting lead. Don't plan on gaining accuracy from a drop-in, aftermarket barrel - it probably won't happen.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Yeah, but remember, he's not wanting to get in it so much for the competition, has he is to get more trigger time with his carry gun. I was the same way when I started.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    show up and shoot. all you need is a safe belt holster and 4-5 mags.
    worry about gear after you've tried it and figured out what you need based on what you want to get out of it.

-rvb

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    A G23 would work just fine. That's what I started with until I moved to the 9mm Glocks because ammo for the .40 was getting rare. I've seen a couple of guys who shoot USPSA/IDPA with the G19/23 models.

I'd recommend a Storm Lake barrel over the Lone Wolf. Since you are using this as a carry gun, you might look at the Straight 8 night sites, as they are pretty good for carry and competition.

You can also look into a 3.5 connector or check out a Vanek trigger if you want a smoother pull.

+1 on the Straight 8 sights. I love 'em.

Glock triggers are really easy to work on and get to your liking. The Ghost rocket is a 3.5 connector with an overtravel stop. Easily the best $25 you can spend on the Glock trigger for competition use. Add that to polishing up the connector and trigger bar with a dremel and some Flitz and it ends up pretty darn nice.

If you want to get really adventurous, there are some other tricks out there that I can walk you through in order to get a trigger that's almost tuned 1911 sweet. But if defense use is your primary purpose, than most of this stuff will be unnecessary.

Also, +1 on the aftermarket barrels not really gaining any accuracy (unless you drop some serious coin on a Barsto barrel and have it hand fitted) The drop in ones from KKM/Lone Wolf/Storm Lake aren't going to much if anything for mechanical accuracy in my experience.

If you reload, however, they're a good idea. First, because you can shoot lead. And second, and more importantly in my opinion, the chambers tend to be better fitting with more support, particularly in 40. This'll give your brass a much longer lifespan.

I think the idea of competing with the gun you actually carry is a great idea overall, and more true to what practical pistol was supposed to be about. :twocents:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Yeah, I was the same way.... then had to get a G34 :D

Denzel carried a G34 concealed in "Man on Fire" ;)
    up-man_on_fire.jpg

I've kicked around the idea of carrying one.

Dimensionally speaking, a G34/35 isn't too far off from a Gov't 1911

Pistol Height length width
    Glock 34 5.43 8.15 1.18
    1911 5.25 8.7 1.28

put a .25" magwell on the 1911, and there ya go.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Show up and shoot it as is. If you ever decide you want to get more serious and that your equipment is holding you back, then upgrade at that time. K.I.S.S.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    I have shot IDPA and USPSA and Steel Matches with G27s and M&P compacts. The worst thing about it is being teased about shooting "half a gun."

I have a shoot what you carry mentality but many do not. If in time you decide want to be really competitive you may want to get a full size gun (maybe a 9mm for faster follow-up shots).

I say go for it and if and when you need/want a better platform then you will have experience on your side.

Buckaroo

Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    In my limited experience i find that using a glock 17 or 19 is the way to go. I also understand the point of wanting to practice with the gun you carry but if thats the case then you should not be altering the gun with a different barrel.

Top Bottom