• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr. Pretorius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just bought one of the Police Trade-In 2nd Gen Glock 22's from AIM Surplus, It came with three 15rd mags for $339. I apparently bought the last one, sorry :)

My question is: Should I replace the recoil spring, guide rod & mag springs? how about the striker spring or any other springs?

If so, what springs do you recommend. Original Glock or Wolff?

Anyone else own a Police trade-in Glock and could comment on their experience?

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Fortunately for you...a lot of cops I know rarely shoot their gun other than qualification. Also many departments allow officers to purchase their old guns at trade in value, the officers that shoot usually keep their guns. I have put so many rounds through my Glock, I can not even begin to estimate. Glock armorer said everything was still good. But it is a matter of person preference. The parts are relatively cheap...and worth the piece of mind if you are worrying about it.

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    My friend has a G23, and I just shot him a message over facebook. He assures me that wolf replacement springs are much better, as I recalled he just changed his over a few months ago. Dont ask why though, I'm no Glock expert, and didn't ask for details.

It'd be much easier to change them now instead of later when something might break. Your side arm is there for insurance, so no matter what, you're better safe than sorry.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Use factory parts if you replace any. Glock hasn't spent millions of dollars on research and design to put an inferior part in the gun if there is something better out there. Stay all Glock parts and you'll be happy.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I picked up a police trade-in 22 awhile back. The salesman just happened to be a buddy and a certified Glock armorerand he checked it out for me. Ironically, it was a Marion Co Sherrif's gun. I've put a few hundred rounds through it and it's functioned just fine. Keep you're eye's on CDNN for more mags. They had some police trade-in mags shortly after I bought mine and I stocked up on them. They've fired quite a few rounds through the Glock and my SUB2000 without a single porblem.

Doug K

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Use factory parts if you replace any. Glock hasn't spent millions of dollars on research and design to put an inferior part in the gun if there is something better out there. Stay all Glock parts and you'll be happy.

This is a VERY bold statement!

hasn't spent millions (maybe billions) of dollars on research and design to put an inferior

Many companies have done the reseach and a customer can spend four times that of a Glock and still have a 1-2,000 round breakin period.

I've purchased several police trade-in pistols, mostly just holster wear showing. Shoot it, if the brass comes out without too much damage, don't worry so much.

Good buy. Glocks are great all around beaters and they eat anything you put in them.

Super38

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    congrats on a great deal! i agree it should be just fine, but if it makes you feel better i would swap out the parts and stick with factory parts. they are not very much and cant hurt. congrats again and enjoy.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Here is my Marion County trade-in. Of course it was my issued Glock and when I turned it in for a new IMPD serial number Glock 22 I bought this to keep. This is a pic with my old M6 light.
    DutyGlock228.jpg

DutyGlock229.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The salesman just happened to be a buddy and a certified Glock armorer and he checked it out for me.

That dude's a tool. :):

To the OP:
    Odds, are the gun is good to go. I say shoot it as-is, and if any problems arise, address them at that time. No sense spending money you don't have to.

I normally change recoil assemblies at ~5000 rounds, and mag springs as needed (run 'em till they fail, then replace with Wolff or ISMI). I have yet to change a firing pin spring or firing pin safety spring due to wear, in either my personal guns or those of my customers. Like, ever. :eek:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Denny, cool. I like the mini badge.

One of my Glock M21s has a divot where the agency crest was. I guess they did not want to sell them with the police id on them. But I sooo wanted to impress the police.:D

Doc, only time I've had a problem with a Glock is when I went with non-factory springs in a Glock M23.

It was one of my first classes at Thunder Ranch. The pistol would not go into battery and I kept having Type IV malfs. I threw the non-factory springs away at lunch and slapped in the factory springs and the gun ran like a sewing machine for the rest of the week!

So, if it was me and I was depending on the gun to save my pink backside, I'd keep it original factory and let a Glocksmith check it out.:)

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Last week, I was watching the market places on a few sites. Someone list three G22 mags marked LEO for $20 (shipped). I jumped on that deal. (not that I really need anymore magazines, but really when is a good time to stop buying hi-cap magazines?)

Super38

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    $20.00 each, or for all three? If the latter, that's a friggin' steal.

That's right, $20 for all three. I couldn't believe it when I seen and was more astounded when all three came looking like new.

Sometimes you just have to be in the right place to get the great deals.

Super38

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Funny thing is, I wanted to sell my Glock but now I've changed my mind. I've already got some awesome deals for all the accessories, like; holsters, mags, mag holders, etc.

I have enough to compete with it now.

Super38

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Come out to the GSSF Match at Eagle Creek June 26-27, 2010. There will be a Factory Glock armorer there, and you can get all your springs, gun & mag replaced for free.

You can also volunteer to help work the match and get a chance to win one of two FREE Glock pistols which GSSF donates to the volunteer RO's every year. Plus the usual assortment of free Glock goodies (geez, sounds like I'm recruiting early this year!).

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Congrats on the nice deal on the G22.

For a G22, the official recommendation is to change the recoil spring every 3k rounds. Since they are cheap, I'd replace it with a factory recoil spring ***'y (p/n SP 01533, marked "5579") on a used G22 (if it were mine). I wouldn't replace the others unless needed. Unlike a previous reply, I have replaced weak firing pin springs, but you'll know it if it needs that (light primer strikes).

Enjoy the G22.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Come out to the GSSF Match at Eagle Creek June 26-27, 2010. There will be a Factory Glock armorer there, and you can get all your springs, gun & mag replaced for free.

Is Glock committed to that June 26-27 date for GSSF?

That's the same weekend as the Indiana State USPSA Sectional at ACC. Won't lots of the competitive shooters be unable to attend? I know I won't make it...

Top Bottom