• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • urban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Greenfield, IN
    I think it's a very good thing that you did not look like a victim. :yesway:

Good call. I wonder if someone else had picked him up if it would have turned out the same way.

BTW... where do people keep their weapons in their cars? If you need fast access... in a glove box, arm rest or under the seat definitely doesn't give you the access you need.

I have seen door boxes but don't know that I want to install one in my Honda Pilot.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Great Story, I always try and help anyone in need as much as I can and I agree having a firearm makes it a much more comfortable situation for me.

It seems that 8 out of 10 times that someone is broke down and needs help it is a shady looking fellow of some sort. You never guy the guy in the caddy who is in a suit and tie or the girl in her mustang and bikini its always the older scary looking guy LOL

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I'm glad you were able to help this young man and that you didn't have to use your weapon in self defense.

However, is it really wise to pick up a hitch hiker? I understand the desire to help people out and so forth, but consider that when you pull over to help someone on the side of the road you don't know anything about that person(s). The police have the advantage of running license plate numbers to check for prior criminal history, arrest warrants and so forth. The good samaritan doesn't.

You are in Mooresville, cool. We should get together and shoot sometime. I am lucky to have a place to shoot right in my back yard.

Yes, you are right. Every situation has to be sized up. Have you ever tried to call 911 in Indianapolis? I have several times. They are a joke, totally useless. I know there are IMPD guys here and I respect them as individuals but it is what it is. You usually get put on hold. This was also on New Year's so I am sure they were all busy and probably wouldn't have taken care of the kid like I did. They would probably insist he have his car towed, something he could not afford. As far as a criminal history is concerned, I would assume, again because of bad prejudice, that he likely did have some kind of history, but that would not matter to me. I made the decision that the kid was not big enough, or bad enough, to mess with me before I let him in the car. He did not look a day over 17.

It must be my week for helping people. I was on my way home today and saw a guy my age on the side of the rode next to his nice F150 pickup. He was changing his tire and somehow locked his keys in the truck. That's two days in a row! I ran him to his home a mile away, nicer home than mine, and brought him back with a spare key. My 16 year old son was with me and I did not consider him to be any risk at all.

My wife and kids give me a hard time because I have a knack for finding people in trouble. I usually have some tools with me and can fix most minor problems. This especially happens when I am out boating in the beginning of the season.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Poverty looks scary sometimes...I have been in that young man's predicament before..Good for you for helping and using good common sense...I refuse to live in a state of caution that does not allow me to help someone in need.It is a little different when my family is along.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    A guy was shot at 30th and Emerson last night while trying to fix his broken down car. A car pulled up next to him and an occupant just opened fire. I travel that street at least once a week or so when I go out to my brothers' place in Greenfield. That area of road is 3 lanes wide and well lit but I still wonder what would happen if I had a break down there. Pretty bad neighborhood and luckily this guy walked to a gas station and got help. Glad your encounter did not turn out like this and hoping we all keep our situational sense on at all times.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    A guy was shot at 30th and Emerson last night while trying to fix his broken down car. A car pulled up next to him and an occupant just opened fire. I travel that street at least once a week or so when I go out to my brothers' place in Greenfield. That area of road is 3 lanes wide and well lit but I still wonder what would happen if I had a break down there. Pretty bad neighborhood and luckily this guy walked to a gas station and got help. Glad your encounter did not turn out like this and hoping we all keep our situational sense on at all times.

That is a terrible but believable story. I grew up at 46th and Emerson. It got tough living there and we eventually moved out, selling the house at a huge loss. Those were ugly times. I felt that kid would have been the one in danger the other night if I would have left him there.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Yep, I lived at 23rd and Park until the 6th grade. It was ROUGH! When Bobby Kennedy and MLK were shot we couldn't leave our apartment for a couple days. I've seen both sides of racism and no matter what the media tries to push on us racism is not a one sided affair. Anyway, I've stopped and helped people who were in need many times. The people I steer clear of are the ones that pull the "I just need enough gas to make it home" at the gas stations or the "Hey, we got some extra speakers in the van" type rip off artist. :twocents:

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    When I told him he was fortunate to have the gas can, he told me that his gas gage was not working properly and he usually could not fill up his tank so he had to guess a lot. Not the first time he ran out of gas.

Gauges can and do fail. Happened to me on my 90 tbird.

Top Bottom