Girlfriend Wants Handgun to Carry. What should I get her?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kbowers9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Salem
    My girlfriend of five years has recently come around and is now interested in firearms and owning one herself. She has looked at several different calibers and brands. She is really interested in the .38 special S&W LadySmith. Just wanted to check and see if anyone had any thoughts on what is really good to carry in a purse. Help me out with ideas on hammerless revolvers and holsters for her to use. :)

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My girlfriend of five years has recently come around and is now interested in firearms and owning one herself. She has looked at several different calibers and brands. She is really interested in the .38 special S&W LadySmith. Just wanted to check and see if anyone had any thoughts on what is really good to carry in a purse. Help me out with ideas on hammerless revolvers and holsters for her to use. :)

Since she's looked at several different calibers and brands and is really interested in the .38 special S&W LadySmith, I'd go with the .38 special S&W LadySmith. Sounds like she's put some thought into what works best for her! Then a basic class & some range time to go with it! Boone Co. offers a terrific two day class a couple times a year, and there are others out there. GREAT Christmas present!
    --Mog

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Pretty much the best thing is ...

GET HER WHATEVER SHE WANTS .....lol

the reaseon I say this .. if she is not happy with what she gets she wont carry it .

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    ACT has a Basic Pistol course on January 2nd. Sign her up and take the course with her and let her try several different makes and models before she/you buy anything. PM if interested. This course has been very informative for folks in this same situation.
    aron@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com

Eagle_Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    i think if a female is not real experienced a revolver is a good idea. ONe reason is she doenst have to remember is the safety is on when its time to use it, doesnt have to know how to clear a jam or wether it fires with the clip out or not. Its just pull the trigger. if you dont hear a bang, pull it again. For an unexperienced person a revolver is good in my opinion. I bought my wife a model 94 nine shot 22 taurus, (i know it is only a 22). It is not intimidating to my wife like a more powerful gun and it is small and very lightweight and for her specific situation it is good for her, for now. If your woman is not intimidated by a 38, go for it. Teach her things every week. how to load unload, safety practices, and whatever else might be important. Or simply pay for a class. thanks.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    i think if a female is not real experienced a revolver is a good idea.

Just out of curiosity, would you say the same thing to an inexperience male shooter? I only mention that because I frequently hear from women who say that the salesman keeps trying to steer her towards revolvers because they're "not as complicated" even when they expressly want a semi-auto, whereas men do not receive the same treatment.

Top Bottom