Saint Louis
    7c4.jpg

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    You know. I stopped using their blades a long time ago. I got sick of paying $30 for a set of 4 blades that wore out in one shave. I moved over to Dollar Shave Club a while ago and I don't regret it. $9 a month for 4 new blades, and a bunch of other things that I really like.

Regardless I saw the commerical.. Typical broad brush from the NPC's

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Calling out bad behavior as bad behavior is fine with me.

Identifying men as the culprits of bad behavior? Ok, fine. All men don't do this but this really isn't what I have a big problem with.

Where I have the problem, specifically, is that Gillette is mainstreaming and pushing "vindictive protectionism" into our normal culture.

It is bad enough that college campuses all across the United States (and world) are falling to the pressure of a vocal minority to demand compliance with their intolerance of behaviors which may be socially unacceptable but legal, but now it is being brought into the homes and thinking of millions more who wouldn't give a damn otherwise.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

In the above article it describes recent trends on college campuses where, "It is creating a culture in which everyone must think twice before speaking up, lest they face charges of insensitivity, aggression, or worse." This isn't about speaking up, but it is about interfering in some behavior that is in poor taste or inappropriate but that is all.

Take the "boys will be boys" example by all the men grilling. Two (2) little boys are fighting. Is a fight inappropriate? Maybe, maybe not. So let's make a judgement call that all fighting is bad, and little boys cannot work out their differences on their own. Later in the commercial an adult interferes when no real physical harm is done, and thus the alleged victim has NO OPPORTUNITY to learn self reliance. Life is in many ways a struggle. It is in the overcoming of obstacles that gives us strength, not in the avoidance of them.

[video=youtube;vHKrH51ygok]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHKrH51ygok[/video]

[Fast forward the video to 5M25S]

A guy at a party calls a woman "sweetie" and someone has to step up and shame(?) him. Really? "Sweetie" is so horrible it is worth calling out? And let us presume for a moment that it is wrong, why can't the female tell him "I'm not your sweetie, dip***t?"

A male sees a sexy female and says "whoa" and takes a step or two in her direction only to be told, "Not cool, bro' not cool." And then he puts his hand on the guy to stop him! So the unspoken message that is reinforced is that it is acceptable to use physical force to stop a behavior. Not an unlawful use of physical force, but only a behavior? So it is completely acceptable in this commercial for the socially correct to use force to stop a behavior they do not approve of? I do not like this AT ALL!

What this commercial does is encourages extremely judgemental thinking and calls for the use of force to make it happen.

This commercial is wrong for this reason. It gives a pass to ANTIFA, SJW's and all others to use force and any other means available to promote a very narrow and intolerant way of thinking.

Not cool, bro'. Not cool at all.

Regards,

Doug

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    I'm toxic, huh? Guess that's why the wife won't put me in her mouth.

There are many many humorous juvenile replies one can make; however, Gillette has caused me to rethink - I must be careful not to say anything that references masculinity (funny or not) because I may offend someone. Thank you Gillette for reminding me that I have a warm human side of me that is considerate of others and their feelings.

BTW, she never complained to me!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Response to the Gillette commercial by Egard Watches...

[video=youtube;x_HL0wiK4Zc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_HL0wiK4Zc[/video]

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    You know. I stopped using their blades a long time ago. I got sick of paying $30 for a set of 4 blades that wore out in one shave. I moved over to Dollar Shave Club a while ago and I don't regret it. $9 a month for 4 new blades, and a bunch of other things that I really like.

Regardless I saw the commerical.. Typical broad brush from the NPC's

I get that I'm still using the razor blades my grandfathers used 100 years ago, but i bought a 100 pack of blades on Amazon for $15. Screw the four or five edge ridiculousness that is called a "modern" blade.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    [video=youtube;4djLI6DhzJc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4djLI6DhzJc[/video]

[video=youtube;WdexFu7pkqI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdexFu7pkqI[/video]

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I'm just now joining the conversation, and I haven't read everything, but I am stupefied that the Gillette video has generated any serious controversy.

Don't be a bad person. Teach young people not to be bad people. (People, without proper raising/training, are terrible. And I can quote both scripture and history as evidence.) Those shouldn't be controversial messages. And calling on people to be better shouldn't be controversial, either.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I'm just now joining the conversation, and I haven't read everything, but I am stupefied that the Gillette video has generated any serious controversy.

Don't be a bad person. Teach young people not to be bad people. (People, without proper raising/training, are terrible. And I can quote both scripture and history as evidence.) Those shouldn't be controversial messages. And calling on people to be better shouldn't be controversial, either.

...and the book "Animal Farm" gives a great narrative on how to comply, without question, to all demands placed on us by the house dwellers who are obviously much smarter and more savvy than ourselves... riiiiiight.

Personally I wouldn't use what is shoveled out of corporation board rooms to lubricate my moral compass, but if you feel comfortable handing them your proxy... good luck.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    ...and the book "Animal Farm" gives a great narrative on how to comply, without question, to all demands placed on us by the house dwellers who are obviously much smarter and more savvy than ourselves... riiiiiight.

Personally I wouldn't use what is shoveled out of corporation board rooms to lubricate my moral compass, but if you feel comfortable handing them your proxy... good luck.

Wow.

Yes, a commercial saying that we should be good people and raise boys correctly is exactly the type of societal problem Orwell was worried about, and being OK with any message that didn't come from Fox News does mean that I never again need to think for myself.

I volunteer at my local Boys & Girls Club weekly. I see dozens of young men who are growing up without fathers. I see how they interact with women. (And I would wager that some of you would be surprised how your sons occasionally act when you are not around.) This message is needed within our society. If it's not needed for you, then it's not about you and you don't need to be offended.

I should have just stayed away. I knew better.

:ingo:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Wow.

Yes, a commercial saying that we should be good people and raise boys correctly is exactly the type of societal problem Orwell was worried about, and being OK with any message that didn't come from Fox News does mean that I never again need to think for myself.

I volunteer at my local Boys & Girls Club weekly. I see dozens of young men who are growing up without fathers. I see how they interact with women. (And I would wager that some of you would be surprised how your sons occasionally act when you are not around.) This message is needed within our society. If it's not needed for you, then it's not about you and you don't need to be offended.

It really is that simple.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    "Wow" back at ya.

Gee, you were able to accomplish something good before you received this message from a corporation intent on parting you from your own money? According to the ad you must be the only one.

What if I were to buy air time blaming you for all those young men growing up without fathers? What if I tell the world they only acted like that after meeting you and you obviously are teaching them this is "normal"? Feels good, huh? How much of that pain goes away after I tell you, "If it's not needed for you, then it's not about you and you don't need to be offended."

This ad could say "that we should", but rather it claims "we aren't"... none of us, or at best most of us.

With this logic we can figure out the universe! Armies create war, churches create sin, women create rape and on and on.

It is one thing to have someone **** down your back and tell you it is raining, but to go on and act like they ended the drought...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Wow.

Dude, have you stopped beating your wife yet? If so, good for you! If not, you really need to get woke and Gillette is here to help

It's an old, old fallacy. You should know better. Gillette does know better but they want the controversy, they have made a conscious business decision that it will benefit sales by the brand in the long run; maybe that a Gillette razor in his bathroom will be what gets Johnny beyond second base with that TLSJW he's had his eye on

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    It's actually a gradual indoctrinating method.....been going on for years but recently (recent years) we see it become more and more obvious. Look at all the companies that make a political statement. Credit cards (banks) that try to influence gun control, companies who try to restrict your rights to buy a gun, companies that will change policy to fight any advancement that goes against the progressive ideology, companies that actually fight for immorality (i.e. same sex marriage and such).....the list is so long. Companies have become an indoctrinating tool for the progressive agenda. The news media is on board, education systems are on board, many companies are now on board.....all trying (and somewhat succeeding) in changing America. Although it has been going on for years, it has become most blatant in recent years......or maybe we have become more sensitive?

Yet, we sit here and talk about how bad it is. The left is slowing edging forward with increasing speed in recent years. When will enough be enough and will it be too late?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This is how intersectionality works when you take off the velvet glove

All men are pigs
    All white men are racist

Therefore all white men are racist pigs

Divide an conquer, not a new idea

Top Bottom