• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The problem I saw with it is that I've not seen any men behaving that way (the poor behavior) ever that I can recall.....I've never seen a man cat call except on TV in a drama and it's usually in B&W and the dude's got on a fedora and the woman is smiling back at him.....If they would have said the commercial is a fictional drama of something that never happens I would not have complained...

IMHO and with all due respect Madame Wheel Gun Heroine......

Wow. If I had a dollar for every time in my life I had been catcalled, called "baby", propositioned, groped, or otherwise been treated rudely by men, I could buy a complete collection of vintage Smith wheelguns (and I'm not even close to "hot"). I can attribute a lot of it to working in an 'urban' environment for most of my career, but it doesn't excuse it. Do men really not see it happening, or do they turn a blind eye?

Now that I think about it, it could come down to the environment. Indiucky, I don't really think you would turn a blind eye if a lady were being treated badly by another man. You just don't hang in the hoods that I have hung in. :)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The problem I saw with it is that I've not seen any men behaving that way (the poor behavior) ever that I can recall.....I've never seen a man cat call except on TV in a drama and it's usually in B&W and the dude's got on a fedora and the woman is smiling back at him.....If they would have said the commercial is a fictional drama of something that never happens I would not have complained...

In the same vein, I've never seen a police officer being unprofessional, or a gun owner misuse their firearm, or ...

People are going to magnify the ones that act poorly - we all know this.
    Advertisers are going to jump on whatever trend there is to sell us **** we don't need - we also know this.

TV's have a mute button for a reason. And I find this commercial less offensive than Chevy's "real people".

As I write this, I realize I don't care about the commercial, I don't care about who gets offended from the commercial, I really only care about keeping my post count up because Bug is trying to pass me.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I need to get down to the shop sometime soon. I’ve been working long hours the last few months. Haven’t even had much range time lately.

I think Indi should have a "wall of INGO" where he post pictures of him and each INGO "celebrity" that comes into the shop.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Wow. If I had a dollar for every time in my life I had been catcalled, called "baby", propositioned, groped, or otherwise been treated rudely by men, I could buy a complete collection of vintage Smith wheelguns (and I'm not even close to "hot"). I can attribute a lot of it to working in an 'urban' environment for most of my career, but it doesn't excuse it. Do men really not see it happening, or do they turn a blind eye?

I think it may have to do with where I grew up and the men I hung around as a kid....I really have not seen it happen...Now back in the 80's when I was in my 20's during Derby I would see it but it was mutual between the sexes...Eye contact and a smile between the sexes..Usually a group of girls and a group of guys...Flirty stuff, not cat calling...I remember walking up the steps at IUS as a freshman and two girls grabbing the peak of my Levi's (from behind) and asking where my butt was...I didn't think they were being sexist...I thought they were being funny with my genetic condition of noassatall....I never once thought they were harassing me....

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Now that I think about it, it could come down to the environment. Indiucky, I don't really think you would turn a blind eye if a lady were being treated badly by another man. You just don't hang in the hoods that I have hung in. :)

Work in downtown Fort Wayne, and I honest can say I don't ever see it happening. I can't even recall ever seeing it.

Now head turning and starring - seen it and done it. :)

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg

As I said to Houghmade, you must live in Mayberry.

I've had many female relatives and friend complain of cat calling and being followed, if they are out walking alone. I don't think they are lying (because, why would they?).

I think it's easy for a guy to shrug off these kind of things, since they've never experienced them. But I suggest you ask the women in your life if they've run into this type of thing before.

Hell, my fiancee just told me about an issue she's dealing with at IU with a group of freshmen she works with. A female student and a male student apparently hooked up early in the year. The girl then decided she didn't particularly care for this young man and broke things off. Now, if this were a story being told by many of the complainers on this thread, this would be where the girl falsely accuses the boy of rape. Except that's not what happened. This girl went on with her life.

The boy, on the other hand, along with a couple of his troglodyte friends started a campaign of harassment of the girl, taking pictures of her (both out in public and from her social media) and photoshopping them into mean memes, that they then shared around, calling her names (slut, whore, etc), mocking her body, and worse. They would get together in the lounges in the residence hall and loudly talk about her in front of the other students and mock her. This went on for months, until the girl finally decided to bring it up to the staff in charge. Her story is corroborated by another male student and several female students, who witnessed all this and received some of the pictures.

This is hardly uncommon and frankly there are much worse things going on on a regular basis. She (my fiancee) usually has to deal with at least a couple of reported rapes and other sexual assaults each year, and her program only has 100 students. And these kids are some of these supposedly upstanding Midwestern young men from right here in Indiana that I saw someone touting earlier in the thread.

This is the **** that women are still dealing with from (nominally) adult men. It goes basically from their school days and follows them through their lives, into their workplace, and on the streets, from random strangers.

But I guess the egos of some the guys on here, who are so upset at the idea there might be a push against bad behavior, whose masculinity is so fragile that a razor commercial can threaten it, is just more important than what their wives, sisters, and daughters go through.

I mean, really, my heart does bleed for them. I read on this thread that they are literally in fear of castration by radical feminists. Can you imagine living in that kind of terror, day in and day out?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    OK, I got the snark out of my system.

I still don't see why this is something that should be upsetting to men.

The commercial is suggesting that man should: a) step in when they observe bullying b) step in when they observe men treating women rudely and c) do some soul-searching to be sure that they are the best example of a man they know how to be to the next generation

If something like this were targeted toward women, I would think it was brilliant. However, the advertising world is much more concerned with how we look, what we wear, and how much we weigh than how we act.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A female student and a male student apparently hooked up early in the year. ....

Who could imagine that premarital sex could have a whole host of negative consequences?

Sorry, I could help but take the opportunity to promote Christian values. ;)

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Who could imagine that premarital sex could have a whole host of negative consequences?

Sorry, I could help but take the opportunity to promote Christian values. ;)

Ah, it's interesting you phrase that as Christian values, since this is still putting the onus on women, for suffering consequences of having sex. That's really more of an Islamic view, where women should cover themselves from head to toe and cover their hair, for fear of arousing men. If a woman gets attacked, it's her fault, for inflaming a man's passion. In fact, if a woman is raped and doesn't have 4 male witnesses to confirm her story, she can be punished for adultery with her rapist.

I mean, if that's how you want to live, it's up to you. I hear Tehran is nice this time of year.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I've had many female relatives and friend complain of cat calling and being followed, if they are out walking alone. I don't think they are lying (because, why would they?).

I think it's easy for a guy to shrug off these kind of things, since they've never experienced them. But I suggest you ask the women in your life if they've run into this type of thing before.

Hell, my fiancee just told me about an issue she's dealing with at IU with a group of freshmen she works with. A female student and a male student apparently hooked up early in the year. The girl then decided she didn't particularly care for this young man and broke things off. Now, if this were a story being told by many of the complainers on this thread, this would be where the girl falsely accuses the boy of rape. Except that's not what happened. This girl went on with her life.

The boy, on the other hand, along with a couple of his troglodyte friends started a campaign of harassment of the girl, taking pictures of her (both out in public and from her social media) and photoshopping them into mean memes, that they then shared around, calling her names (slut, whore, etc), mocking her body, and worse. They would get together in the lounges in the residence hall and loudly talk about her in front of the other students and mock her. This went on for months, until the girl finally decided to bring it up to the staff in charge. Her story is corroborated by another male student and several female students, who witnessed all this and received some of the pictures.

This is hardly uncommon and frankly there are much worse things going on on a regular basis. She (my fiancee) usually has to deal with at least a couple of reported rapes and other sexual assaults each year, and her program only has 100 students. And these kids are some of these supposedly upstanding Midwestern young men from right here in Indiana that I saw someone touting earlier in the thread.

This is the **** that women are still dealing with from (nominally) adult men. It goes basically from their school days and follows them through their lives, into their workplace, and on the streets, from random strangers.

But I guess the egos of some the guys on here, who are so upset at the idea there might be a push against bad behavior, whose masculinity is so fragile that a razor commercial can threaten it, is just more important than what their wives, sisters, and daughters go through.

I mean, really, my heart does bleed for them. I read on this thread that they are literally in fear of castration by radical feminists. Can you imagine living in that kind of terror, day in and day out?

I don't live in Mayberry...I talk to the women in my life on a daily basis and this is not something they have experienced...My wife, who's family is from Argentina, says that does happen some down there but she's not experienced it here nor there...I don't have much of an ego but I am honest...I'm not in fear of castration from radical feminists and I have not seen anyone on here express that fear.....I do not see nor have I seen the bad behavior Gillette and you are speaking of...

Just curious...What percentage of men do you think behave that way and what percentage of women do you think behave that way????

You insinuated Hough and I must live in Mayberry....That'd be like me asking you if you live in Sodom or Gomorra because of the experiences you are talking about.....I wouldn't do that...I assume you are telling the truth...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Ah, it's interesting you phrase that as Christian values, since this is still putting the onus on women, for suffering consequences of having sex. That's really more of an Islamic view, where women should cover themselves from head to toe and cover their hair, for fear of arousing men. If a woman gets attacked, it's her fault, for inflaming a man's passion. In fact, if a woman is raped and doesn't have 4 male witnesses to confirm her story, she can be punished for adultery with her rapist.

I mean, if that's how you want to live, it's up to you. I hear Tehran is nice this time of year.

153804.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Huh? What? Wait, dude, I was totally on your side till this.

Talk about jumping to conclusions.

Where did I ever blame one gender? Where did I ever say that the consequences only affect one gender? The blame lies squarely on both parties and the consequences are manifold and deleterious to both parties (and the larger society as a whole).

I mean, if that's how you want to live, it's up to you. I hear Tehran is nice this time of year
    Haven't you heard?
    [video=youtube;7hlGqj3ImQI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hlGqj3ImQI[/video]

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

You're right, it's not uncommon, but it's also not a "male thing". It's an "immature thing". It's a "mean thing". There's hardly a day that goes by that you don't hear of some kid in the news committing suicide (boys and girls) because their peers mocked them or bullied them on social media. There are ****ty people in the world. Real *******s. Not all of them are male, and some of the most vicious are not even male when it comes to the sort of thing you're talking about. Want to make a commercial? It could be real short. "People! Don't be *******s!"

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Huh? What? Wait, dude, I was totally on your side till this.

Talk about jumping to conclusions.

Where did I ever blame one gender? Where did I ever say that the consequences only affect one gender? The blame lies squarely on both parties and the consequences are manifold and deleterious to both parties (and the larger society as a whole).

Haven't you heard?
    [video=youtube;7hlGqj3ImQI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hlGqj3ImQI[/video]

I wasn't assuming you felt that way. I just felt like reacting to some of the more religious arguments that were going on in the thread. You just happened to be the most convenient post. Sorry if that came across wrong.
    But yeah, Tehran, from the 50's through the 70's was actually a pretty prosperous and modern place. So was Beirut for that matter. Even Afghanistan wasn't the cess pool it is now. But after the Shah was deposed and the Ayatollah took over, followed by the explosion (pun intended) of Wahhabist Islam, spread by our pals in Saudi Arabia, the Islamic world has been a really crappy place for women to live. Now Turkey looks to be falling down into that pit, along with the non-Assad controlled portion of Syria, except for a few pockets more pro-democratic forces.

A real shame.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I don't live in Mayberry...I talk to the women in my life on a daily basis and this is not something they have experienced...My wife, who's family is from Argentina, says that does happen some down there but she's not experienced it here nor there...I don't have much of an ego but I am honest...I'm not in fear of castration from radical feminists and I have not seen anyone on here express that fear.....I do not see nor have I seen the bad behavior Gillette and you are speaking of...

Just curious...What percentage of men do you think behave that way and what percentage of women do you think behave that way????

You insinuated Hough and I must live in Mayberry....That'd be like me asking you if you live in Sodom or Gomorra because of the experiences you are talking about.....I wouldn't do that...I assume you are telling the truth...

Well, I live on the north side of Indy, so close enough, I guess. Just a few years ago, a couple blocks from where I live, a man was caught breaking into a teenage girl's bed room, naked except for boots, gloves, and a ski mask, carrying duct tape, rope, and a knife. The girls father was the one that discovered him (thankfully before the creep could do anything) and ended up strangling him to death (not that anyone shed any tears for the dead rapist). But yeah, you don't have to look very long for all sorts of bad stuff happening here.

I mean, if it really is different where you live, then that's good. But I've heard of this type of harassment (the type shown in the ad) happening everywhere from little towns like Bloomfield to the bigger cities. So, if you've found an idyllic pocket a gentlemanly behavior, I'd say it's exception, not the rule.

Top Bottom