• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I would buy one of the kits, I think Lee has them starting at about $100 some come with dies. The RCBS kits start a little higher but no dies. both come with everything you need except for primers, powder and bullets ( and dies in some cases).
    You might find them cheaper I'm just going from memory
    Kenny

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    Minimum a Classic Lee Loader and a hammer. Of course you will also need case, powder, primer, and bullet. I only reccomend this if you are using it on a bolt action gun since it does not do a full length size.

This produces such good 22-250 for me that I can not justify buying full dies. I modify it by hand priming and actually measure powder on a scale every round.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Something to think about:
    If you're just "thinking" about getting into reloading, in the sense that you'd like to try it out, but aren't sure if you'll stick with it, then I think the kits are a good way to go since they're a relatively inexpensive way to get your feet wet.

However, if you are getting into reloading and are pretty sure/confident you'll stick with it (because you've done a lot of research, reloaded on a friend's equipment, etc.) , then you might consider buying the equipment you need a la carte. The reason I suggest this is that if you're serious, you'll likely find yourself upgrading some of the lower quality stuff that comes with many starter kits anyway. If you intelligently buy the components you need up front, a la carte, you'll likely get better equipment to start with (equipment you won't feel you have to upgrade).

It's up to you. People approach this different ways. But I'd at least price a kit against better quality similar items a la carte and see what the difference in $$ is.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Below is a link to a thread that discusses reloading and the basics. Posted within the thread below are several links that also discuss equipment and the different routes one can obtain the equipment. I would encourage you to read through them and see what you think. Feel free to ask more questions!! And also, I would certainly encourage use of the search function, and you will find more information than you could care to read!

The short and long from my standpoint, you can often find someone who is wanting to get out of reloading and buy their entire setup for much cheaper than it would cost to piece it together on your own. Then you can weed out/sell what you don't want or use and use that cash to upgrade or buy anything that was missing. Take a look at the link below and threads within, there is a lot of great information!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/38257-question_for_reloaders.html

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    If youre just starting out I would suggest an all in one kit. I have seen some of the progressive presses, and while they are nice, they are not friendly on the wallet. I just got Lee Precision, Inc. Reloading Tools and Equipment: Anniversary Kit for $95, and it comes with everything buy dyes, bullets, powder, primers, and brass. Its a pretty good setup for reloading .40, and I'm hoping itll work well with a .308 load.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    my class!!!

:+1:
    I had the idea of reloading in my head for awhile, but after IGW's class I knew I had to. The class was a great overview of reloading, and showed my how easy it can be if you just have someone explain it to you. There's a lot to get overwhelmed with, but just be patient and learn the basics. If he has another this fall I will go back for sure, now that I have my own setup, to work out any kinks I come into.

lancinator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2009
    Dekalb County NE indiana
    once you get your equipment, then you must have a reloaders cook book of some sort. then you must get familiar with the fact that you need to load very specifically to the directions. most important obviously is getting the powder charge right but also getting the COL (cast overall length) correct. especially with semi-auto's. if you push the max COL you will find that it might not chamber very well for you. everytime I start a new load i haven't done before, i load up a few then take them out for a test shoot. to make sure that they load well and shoot well and i also have a chronograph to check the speed. the chronograph isn't needed, a lot of people reload without them, but i like to see what the speed performance is as well. good luck!

MrHank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Westfield, IN
    I started out two years ago with a Lee Classic Turret Press and have never had any problems with it. The nice thing is that you can use it as a single stage press until you get the hang of things. Make sure get some good reloading books like The ABC's of Reloading from Lee, Speer or Hornady and do lots of reading.

Top Bottom