• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The dogs I grew up with, died this past winter.

image_zpse6bacb56.jpg

All 3 dogs together.

image_zps7c4b7db9.jpg

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    From my research and reading it looks like I need to see when USMC might have some pups coming. Malinois look like good dogs but I would fear even with my kids they may be a little too high energy. I had always been told with rotts you have to be VERY dominant, not sure how true that is but because of that I have never considered that breed.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    From my research and reading it looks like I need to see when USMC might have some pups coming. Malinois look like good dogs but I would fear even with my kids they may be a little too high energy. I had always been told with rotts you have to be VERY dominant, not sure how true that is but because of that I have never considered that breed.

That's not true at all. Growing up, we had several different types of dogs. Out of all of them, Rotts were the most laid back.

Of all the dogs we had, Rotts and GSD's were the absolute best ever. With GSD's, we did have to put more effort with the training and activities. With Rotts, not so much. All they need is a couch, and treats.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Rotts need a leader, but I wouldn't say you have to be very dominant. When well bred they are working dogs and do require a boss. Same with any working breed. I was lucky and adopted a very good, but abused Rott. She had no problems with being lower on the chain than my small child. They are a herding/drover dog, along with with other tasks, so they can be a bit independent, but with early training they shouldn't be a problem with younger children. Mine would play rough and tumble with me, but play gently with my 2 yr old son and take orders from him. The funniest and saddest thing I saw was when I was washing dishes, I heard a thump, thump behind me, I turned around and my son was picking her head up off the ground by her ear and letting it drop. The dog was just lying there and looking at me, she had the look on her face" Why? Why? Would you stop this?" but never moved away or tried to stop it. They also had another game they played, chase the stub. My son would grab her stub of a tail and she would spin around and he would run around her back and do it again, over and over and over again......

I'm not trying to talk you out of a GSD, they are very good dogs also. Pick a good breeder and you should be happy if you pick a GSD/Rott/Malinois/Etc.
    Just talking about my preference, which I will admit I am prejudiced.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That's not true at all. Growing up, we had several different types of dogs. Out of all of them, Rotts were the most laid back.

Of all the dogs we had, Rotts and GSD's were the absolute best ever. With GSD's, we did have to put more effort with the training and activities. With Rotts, not so much. All they need is a couch, and treats.

Mine wasn't laid back... But yeah give her a lap to lie in and a few treats and she was happy. She was very willing to learn, it took all of maybe 10 minutes to teach her to stay when I threw a ball. She would sit there quivering, but she would stay. Once I told her go and get it, she was off like a rocket. She had a very strong drive, but also a very strong I guess I would say obedience drive.

Heck the Beagle I just got is one of the worst, he's smart but stubborn. He will accept that I am the boss but not so much with my daughter. And after 2 months I'm still trying to teach him to stay down and not jump. He just gets excited and doesn't care.

Lost 2 last winter. The smaller Rott in that picture is still alive, and just barely a puppy now.

Okay. Glad you still have one to play with. I'm going to have to put down my old dog this year I think, I don't want to consider two in a year.

ETA I'll try to find out where my local PD gets their dogs from, they are Malinois but the breeder also does GSDs. From what I've been told they are very good and a local Indiana breeder.

Last edited:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Other than your twice as fast claim (which I believe is probably understated), I agree with this. They have to be worked. GSDs also prefer to be worked, but in my experience, GSDs tend to be more capable of taking a day off. Or even a few minutes off. For some people and purposes, I think the Mal is a great choice. For a family dog, and particularly if the owner isn't going to be able to spend a fair amount of time working with the dog and giving it serious exercise, *I* would choose a GSD and that's what I'd recommend to most people looking for a family dog. If you prefer your Mals, that's cool. You and I are different people. We react different to visitors, too, so our needs are not the same.

"Their mother is pure German Shepherd and the father is pure Belgian Malinois."

Post 17 2nd sentence.

There is a member here on Ingo that has a pup from my other female GSD and the father was my Mal.....and the member had kids so..........

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    If as you state that Malinois are better dogs that GSD, why are you cross breeding them? Why not find a good ***** for your stud and just breed pure Malinois?

The pure Malinois is not a good choice for a stereotypical family dog. Especially one with small kids. The Malinois is a working dog (and that is an understatement). They are high strung (not like bouncing off the walls like a retriever 1yr old) but more like just waiting to work and then work some more. The Malinois breed is a better choice for someone that needs a all out working dog.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The pure Malinois is not a good choice for a stereotypical family dog. Especially one with small kids. The Malinois is a working dog (and that is an understatement). They are high strung (not like bouncing off the walls like a retriever 1yr old) but more like just waiting to work and then work some more. The Malinois breed is a better choice for someone that needs a all out working dog.

And a good bred GSD is a working dog. Again why with the cross breeding? If you believe that GSD are better family dogs and want to breed for family dogs why not breed pure bred GSD, same with if you feel Malinois are better working dogs.

ETA Neither one is a stereotypical family dog, if you want a "stereotypical family dog" go with a golden retriever, or most of the smaller family dog breeds. Heck even an Irish Setter. Stay away from working dogs, at least working dogs that are bred for work and not for show.

Last edited:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have been laid up due to a medical condition and will be out of work for a while. I am looking for a dog that will help to work me. A good reason to get out and walk around town or go out in a neighborhood field and throw a ball. I had a GSD as a young kid and have always loved the breed, the kids have their lab mix dog, I want a dog to cruise in my truck and go fishing and run around town with me.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I have been laid up due to a medical condition and will be out of work for a while. I am looking for a dog that will help to work me. A good reason to get out and walk around town or go out in a neighborhood field and throw a ball. I had a GSD as a young kid and have always loved the breed, the kids have their lab mix dog, I want a dog to cruise in my truck and go fishing and run around town with me.
    Good luck finding a pup, and best wishes for a speedy recovery. I haven't be able to find out who my local PD gets their dogs from yet, if I do I will post it here. And I agree GSDs are great dogs.

Edited I don't know your medical condition or how laid up you are from it, but have you considered an older dog? There are a few GSD rescues in IN. I broke my leg right after I got my old dog as a pup and yes he made me work, but I wasn't able to get around well enough to train him how he should have been. When he was 3 months old he would dang near take me off my crutches when he saw something.

If you want a puppy, they may have something available also, just giving you something else to consider.
    http://www.germanshepherdrescueindy.com/
    http://germanshepherddogs.info/german-shepherd-rescues/

Heck if you want something that will love all over you, chase balls, and just generally make you work, I can loan you an older English pointer..... Or perhaps a 1 and a half yr old lab.... Please say yes.

Last edited:

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville

Go with good tempered GSD. GSDs that come from working lines and most Malenois will be very high energy dogs with strong prey drives. Definitely get obedience on them early and good luck with your search!

The post above was edited as I was typing and I agree that a rescue may be a great option.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Good luck finding a pup, and best wishes for a speedy recovery. I haven't be able to find out who my local PD gets their dogs from yet, if I do I will post it here. And I agree GSDs are great dogs.

Edited I don't know your medical condition or how laid up you are from it, but have you considered an older dog? There are a few GSD rescues in IN. I broke my leg right after I got my old dog as a pup and yes he made me work, but I wasn't able to get around well enough to train him how he should have been. When he was 3 months old he would dang near take me off my crutches when he saw something.

If you want a puppy, they may have something available also, just giving you something else to consider.
    German Shepherd Rescue Indianapolis
    German Shepherd Rescues | German Shepherd Dogs

Heck if you want something that will love all over you, chase balls, and just generally make you work, I can loan you an older English pointer..... Or perhaps a 1 and a half yr old lab.... Please say yes.

My condition is nothing really limiting in that regard. I was in the hospital for nearly 3weeks and lost a lot of my strength. I have a clotting disorder and some kidney problems. I was pretty active and getting in decent shape working as a order filler at wal mart distribution center before this all came up. Now the medicines I am on keep me tired and hungry which is not a good combination.
    I have tried an older dog before, got a siberian husky that was 1 year old from craigslist. After I got him home I noticed he was pretty nervous and started believing he had been mistreated. About 3 months after I bought him he attacked my wife, she ended up with 5 staples in the top of her head, luckily I was not far when it happened or it could have been much worse.
    I did not put him down but I gave him to a single male friend of mine and did tell him all the details of what happened, he has been fine since. Still older dogs from unknown situations make me nervous now.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My condition is nothing really limiting in that regard. I was in the hospital for nearly 3weeks and lost a lot of my strength. I have a clotting disorder and some kidney problems. I was pretty active and getting in decent shape working as a order filler at wal mart distribution center before this all came up. Now the medicines I am on keep me tired and hungry which is not a good combination.
    I have tried an older dog before, got a siberian husky that was 1 year old from craigslist. After I got him home I noticed he was pretty nervous and started believing he had been mistreated. About 3 months after I bought him he attacked my wife, she ended up with 5 staples in the top of her head, luckily I was not far when it happened or it could have been much worse.
    I did not put him down but I gave him to a single male friend of mine and did tell him all the details of what happened, he has been fine since. Still older dogs from unknown situations make me nervous now.
    Understandable about being leery of older dogs. I was attacked by a dog my Dad adopted, no stitches needed but I was lucky. I got a hold of his collar as he was starting to lunge and was still tore up a bit. But he was I found out later a bit psychotic and had a history. The person my Dad got him from had him chained in a room because he had attacked before, and attacked someone that came into the room.... Not a good thing when it's 150lb Newfoundland mix. The Rott I had was abused and was the sweetest dog, the lab I currently have was from what I understand abused and is timid except around other dogs then she wants to be dominant.

But if your dead set on a puppy(and I don't blame you), here is where my local PD gets their dogs from, I don't know if they sell to non govt or not but you can check.
    Vohne Liche Kennels ETA And they are very expensive. I believe the trained Malinois my local PD bought were around 6-7k each.... But they are top of the line dogs.

Although the offer of a loan for a english pointer still stands, and I will say he is one of the least aggressive dogs I've ever seen and hasn't been abused, so no worries about the wife. He is very loving and I think if he was being eaten alive by coyotes he would just try and rub up on them for loving. Yes I'm serious. He is that affectionate.

Last edited:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I am looking for a road trip, fishing partner, walking buddy. Very nice offer but a loaner just won't do. I am thinking middle of next month when I get some financial issues in order (hospital bills wrapped up, I have a huge out of pocket) I will be looking for either a pure GSD or one of remauto1187's pups. A pup from one of his litters is listed in the classifieds right now and she is beautiful. 8 months old, white coat, obedience trained, great looking dog remauto1187.

Sorry for for the thread Jack but both looking for something similar I figured it would be ok just this once.

Top Bottom