• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I am not familiar at all with the Malinois, just did a little checking and sounds like higher energy German shepherd. How are they for training? Just basics like house breaking, leash walking, catch, etc.
    The Mals (I hate to say it) are superior to a German Shepherd. They train faster, are faster and are german shepherds on speed! They also bite 20x harder than a GSD. My male will get to a balls falling spot before it gets there from 40yds+ away. He rips the sod up when he launches! They are truly amazing dogs and I wouldnt have never believed that a Malinois's potenital until I saw it myself (Ive owned 3 GSD's). There is a reason why the secret service, many law enforcement agencies, etc. prefer them over the GSD. It was a Belgian Malinois that went in with seal team 6 to get Bin Laden.

The father was going to be a Greenwood police K9 but the dept could not get a officer to committ to 10yrs. (Thats what I was told). He was trained in german and only responds to german commands. He will look at you like you are stupid if you tell him No, Sit, Stay, Let go. :D

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'm not a dog expert. Not even on the internet. But lovemachine, do your homework before you switch to a malinois. I've been around a lot of GSDs and a lot of mals, and I'd take a GSD every single time. Mals are frequently hyper. Waaaaaay too much energy for me. Most GSDs are completely capable of turning it off and chilling on the floor (or couch...) when they don't need to be active. Mals, often not so much. As to the bite force claim, find me something scientific anywhere that supports that claim. Personally, I don't care much about that in the first place, but that bite force claim doesn't match with anything I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, mals are great dogs. They're very smart, they're very fast, they're very "driven", and everyone I've known who had one loved it, but they're significantly different than an average GSD. The claim about them being like a [miniature] GSD on speed, that's accurate. If that's what you want, that's the dog for you.

If I had little kids around, or the potential for it, that would also be a point in favor of the GSD (IMHO, as stated earlier -- I'm not claiming any knowledge other that experience.)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm not a dog expert. Not even on the internet. But lovemachine, do your homework before you switch to a malinois. I've been around a lot of GSDs and a lot of mals, and I'd take a GSD every single time. Mals are frequently hyper. Waaaaaay too much energy for me. Most GSDs are completely capable of turning it off and chilling on the floor (or couch...) when they don't need to be active. Mals, often not so much. As to the bite force claim, find me something scientific anywhere that supports that claim. Personally, I don't care much about that in the first place, but that bite force claim doesn't match with anything I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, mals are great dogs. They're very smart, they're very fast, they're very "driven", and everyone I've known who had one loved it, but they're significantly different than an average GSD. The claim about them being like a [miniature] GSD on speed, that's accurate. If that's what you want, that's the dog for you.

If I had little kids around, or the potential for it, that would also be a point in favor of the GSD (IMHO, as stated earlier -- I'm not claiming any knowledge other that experience.)

That is a very good point.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

"Miniature" GSD? :n00b: My Mal is longer, just as tall as my previous male GSD, taller than all female GSD's ive had. The Mal is typically not as wide as a GSD but they are muscular instead of alot of fat.

As for the biting....bring your butt over and lets stick your arm in the Mals mouth but bring witnesses to see you cry like a lil girl when the dog brings you down. :rockwoot:
    Mals are twice as fast as a fit human. They are working dogs and CANNOT be just put in the backyard on a chain or in a cage and left alone for days like many people do with dogs. They have to be worked, its what they live for. My girlfriend and I have 3 kids that are around the Mal everyday. My 4 year old son works with the dog doing training practice.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    "Miniature" GSD? :n00b: My Mal is longer, just as tall as my previous male GSD, taller than all female GSD's ive had. The Mal is typically not as wide as a GSD but they are muscular instead of alot of fat.
    I think any dog size chart around will back up my assertion that Mals are generally smaller/lighter than GSDs. Yes, there are big mals and small GSDs, and there are tall ones and short ones and all kinds of variety, but still, Mals tend to be smaller than GSDs. That's one of the reasons some depts/groups prefer them.
    As for the biting....bring your butt over and lets stick your arm in the Mals mouth but bring witnesses to see you cry like a lil girl when the dog brings you down. :rockwoot:
    More of the logic that says if you wouldn't volunteer to be shot by my pellet gun, it must be a valid self-defense choice. Please find me any scientific data that puts the Mals bite at even TWICE the GSD, let alone your stated 20x. Now... if you stipulate that the Mal's probably going to bite 20x as often and add them up, then you're in pretty safe territory.

Mals are twice as fast as a fit human. They are working dogs and CANNOT be just put in the backyard on a chain or in a cage and left alone for days like many people do with dogs. They have to be worked, its what they live for. My girlfriend and I have 3 kids that are around the Mal everyday. My 4 year old son works with the dog doing training practice.

Other than your twice as fast claim (which I believe is probably understated), I agree with this. They have to be worked. GSDs also prefer to be worked, but in my experience, GSDs tend to be more capable of taking a day off. Or even a few minutes off. For some people and purposes, I think the Mal is a great choice. For a family dog, and particularly if the owner isn't going to be able to spend a fair amount of time working with the dog and giving it serious exercise, *I* would choose a GSD and that's what I'd recommend to most people looking for a family dog. If you prefer your Mals, that's cool. You and I are different people. We react different to visitors, too, so our needs are not the same.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I think any dog size chart around will back up my assertion that Mals are generally smaller/lighter than GSDs. Yes, there are big mals and small GSDs, and there are tall ones and short ones and all kinds of variety, but still, Mals tend to be smaller than GSDs. That's one of the reasons some depts/groups prefer them.

More of the logic that says if you wouldn't volunteer to be shot by my pellet gun, it must be a valid self-defense choice. Please find me any scientific data that puts the Mals bite at even TWICE the GSD, let alone your stated 20x. Now... if you stipulate that the Mal's probably going to bite 20x as often and add them up, then you're in pretty safe territory.

Other than your twice as fast claim (which I believe is probably understated), I agree with this. They have to be worked. GSDs also prefer to be worked, but in my experience, GSDs tend to be more capable of taking a day off. Or even a few minutes off. For some people and purposes, I think the Mal is a great choice. For a family dog, and particularly if the owner isn't going to be able to spend a fair amount of time working with the dog and giving it serious exercise, *I* would choose a GSD and that's what I'd recommend to most people looking for a family dog. If you prefer your Mals, that's cool. You and I are different people. We react different to visitors, too, so our needs are not the same.

I agree Malinois are smaller than GSD's. They are also a bit quicker. That is generally speaking of course. There are slow Maloinois and fast GSD, and vice versa, same with small and large. And as for being 2x as fast as a fit human.... I had a rescue beagle that was fast as lighting. I would have put him up against any human, at least in the short run. Heck I would have put him up in a medium run. That dog was fast. A friend of my wife let him out once by mistake, the dog was a blur. And it was a small beagle.

I also agree with your statement. I've had to deal with a pekinese you wouldn't want to get bit by, that thing was vicious. I'm not going to volunteer to be bit by any dog.

And IMO the reason that police dept and such are choosing mals isn't because they are better dogs. It's because that GSD's have been so popular for so many years that people are just breeding whatever. Either one breed properly will do what they are bred for. It's just a bit easier to find a good bred Mal now. But then again, they are now becoming popular and people are just breeding and cross breeding them. For instance GSD/Mal mixes.

And again I'm going to have to disagree. You want a good family dog, that can also offer protection. Go for a working line Rott. I had one and she was the best dog I ever owned. Protective over children, very very tolerant to abuse by them, playful but careful, and very capable of aggression when needed. And very discriminatory when it came to aggression. And she was an abused rescue dog.

ETA The working line Rott for a family dog is only if you have the time and inclination to give them exercise, mine was happy to be a couch/lap dog, but she did get exercise. Without the exercise I wouldn't bet on it. Same with all working breeds.

Last edited:

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Go to the source; Germany. Totally different quality of animal and if you do your homework, you can find very reasonable pricing. My last two have come from a German kennel.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

If as you state that Malinois are better dogs that GSD, why are you cross breeding them? Why not find a good ***** for your stud and just breed pure Malinois?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Totally agree with the comments on breeding, happens with every breed that gets too popular.

As to the rottweiler, I believe Marc already has (or had?) a Rott and knows the breed. He was asking about GSDs, someone else was kind of pointing him toward a Malinois... That's the only reason I was commenting on GSD vs. Malinois. I think Rottweilers are great dogs. I still prefer a GSD, but it's just a personal preference thing.

ETA: I'll also voluntarily stipulate that the best trained, most obedient dog I've ever personally known was a female Rottweiler. What an incredible dog.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I agree Malinois are smaller than GSD's. They are also a bit quicker. That is generally speaking of course. There are slow Maloinois and fast GSD, and vice versa, same with small and large. And as for being 2x as fast as a fit human.... I had a rescue beagle that was fast as lighting. I would have put him up against any human, at least in the short run. Heck I would have put him up in a medium run. That dog was fast. A friend of my wife let him out once by mistake, the dog was a blur. And it was a small beagle.

I also agree with your statement. I've had to deal with a pekinese you wouldn't want to get bit by, that thing was vicious. I'm not going to volunteer to be bit by any dog.

And IMO the reason that police dept and such are choosing mals isn't because they are better dogs. It's because that GSD's have been so popular for so many years that people are just breeding whatever. Either one breed properly will do what they are bred for. It's just a bit easier to find a good bred Mal now. But then again, they are now becoming popular and people are just breeding and cross breeding them. For instance GSD/Mal mixes.

And again I'm going to have to disagree. You want a good family dog, that can also offer protection. Go for a working line Rott. I had one and she was the best dog I ever owned. Protective over children, very very tolerant to abuse by them, playful but careful, and very capable of aggression when needed. And very discriminatory when it came to aggression. And she was an abused rescue dog.

ETA The working line Rott for a family dog is only if you have the time and inclination to give them exercise, mine was happy to be a couch/lap dog, but she did get exercise. Without the exercise I wouldn't bet on it. Same with all working breeds.

Did you say ROTT?

image_zpse0d52677.jpg

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Totally agree with the comments on breeding, happens with every breed that gets too popular.

As to the rottweiler, I believe Marc already has (or had?) a Rott and knows the breed. He was asking about GSDs, someone else was kind of pointing him toward a Malinois... That's the only reason I was commenting on GSD vs. Malinois. I think Rottweilers are great dogs. I still prefer a GSD, but it's just a personal preference thing.

ETA: I'll also voluntarily stipulate that the best trained, most obedient dog I've ever personally known was a female Rottweiler. What an incredible dog.

I'll agree that it's a personal preference thing. And I'll even stipulate that the best trained, most obedient dog I've ever personally known was neither. It was a English Mastiff. But the guy that owned/raised/trained it was an former military dog trainer.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    A Rott and a GSD would be such a perfect pair...

Dunno if you're talking about breeding, but my parents had, all at once, 2 Rotts and a GSD.

This past winter, their GSD died without warning, I grew up with him, and they lost one of their Rotts soon after from diabetes and blindness.

They still have 1 rotty.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Dunno if you're talking about breeding, but my parents had, all at once, 2 Rotts and a GSD.

This past winter, their GSD died without warning, I grew up with him, and they lost one of their Rotts soon after from diabetes and blindness.

They still have 1 rotty.

Not breeding, just "playmates" and partners in protecting your home and family.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    A Rott and a GSD would be such a perfect pair...

Please no. Just no. If you have a good Rott breed it with another good Rott and continue the bloodline. Don't dilute it. If it isn't a good Rott, break it (neuter/spay, I refuse to call it fixing because it isn't broke). Same with any breed. I'm not a breed snob, but I hate all the "new" mixes. Give me a well bred pedigree or a mutt, I don't want any designer dogs.

Top Bottom