• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    No. You need to buy her a knife guru approved piece of cutlery that will survive a nuclear explosion and be able to cut Chuck Norris after sawing diamond coated titanium and slicing tomatoes.
    For low impact casual use it is ok.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I got the folder as a present. It's very light and the combination of blade grind and steel make it very easy to get it really sharp (on the non-serrated part). I haven't used it much, so I don't know how well it holds up to heavy cutting.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Rather than start a new thread, I'm going to revive this one.

Has the quality on this knife improved at all since? My wife really likes them (comfort wise, haven't used one), and she won't put it to extremely heavy duty use like chopping or anything. Mostly a general purpose, camping, skinning, etc. use.

I figure for $50 and no more than she'll put this one to use it's probably worth it since it's what she likes and will make her happy. What say you blade gurus of INGO?

I would totally recommend staying away from any of the Gerber Bear Grylis knives. Since she is not chopping or going to use it heavy duty, I would look into an ESEE Izula or Izula II for basic camp chores, skinning....etc. They can be bought in the $55.00 to $75.00 range, USA made with a no questions asked life time warranty. :twocents:

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Rather than start a new thread, I'm going to revive this one.

Has the quality on this knife improved at all since? My wife really likes them (comfort wise, haven't used one), and she won't put it to extremely heavy duty use like chopping or anything. Mostly a general purpose, camping, skinning, etc. use.

I figure for $50 and no more than she'll put this one to use it's probably worth it since it's what she likes and will make her happy. What say you blade gurus of INGO?

You have answered your own question. Even if it falls apart she will then be more understanding of spending more for a higher quality knife.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You have answered your own question. Even if it falls apart she will then be more understanding of spending more for a higher quality knife.
    That's a good point. I don't think she will ever put this to a point of it breaking and it's just something that she likes. I was thinking of grabbing one for her as a "just cause" gift OMW home since I have my new ESEE waiting for me at home. :D I like the idea that if it were to break somehow it'll give her an appreciation for better quality.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I would totally recommend staying away from any of the Gerber Bear Grylis knives. Since she is not chopping or going to use it heavy duty, I would look into an ESEE Izula or Izula II for basic camp chores, skinning....etc. They can be bought in the $55.00 to $75.00 range, USA made with a no questions asked life time warranty. :twocents:
    I have my new ESEE waiting on me. I think once she gets a feel for it she will like it too. She's a "feel and cosmetics" lover of blades. She doesn't really put them to heavy use. I saved some $ by buying this ESEE used (even though it wasn't really used any) so I thought I'd grab her the Gerber she's had her eye on for a long time OMW home as a "just cause" gift.

If nothing else, maybe it'll keep her from commandeering my new ESEE and hers may break one day to give her a new appreciation of better quality, LOL.

Are those knives full or even half tang?

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Last edited:

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just remember, pocket knives are one of those things people seem to loose or forget and leave behind a lot out there. I don't carry an expensive or large knife any more, but I have found a crap load of them out in the back country. Some of those are ones that cost $50-$60 bucks. Take care of it because your not going to hike 15 miles back to maybe retrieve it. Just some of my practically worthless advice.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    take it back for a refund if you can get one and spend a little more money for an ESEE. it won't have electric windows or cruise control, but it won't fall apart either. you can get the sane fire starter from "Harbor Freight" for $2.99 each.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Ive seen it at walmart but havent handled one. I would buy one if it was the only option but you can get a better knife for the same or less price. The classsifeds here and online forums have great finds. I do think the extras the knife offers are a good bargain.

Top Bottom