• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Guys, anytime something has "Bear Grylls" printed on it, consider it a warning label. Just like "New & Improved", and "As Seen On TV".

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    As bound to fail as the Bear himself. But it looks really good falling off a cliff into a ravine for no particular reason other than the camera angle......

No, I did not forget the purple font, Grylls is a joke.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Bear Grylls doesn't even use his own knife namesake. Your first clue should have been availability of wal-mart.
    you can buy kershaw knives at walmart, does that mean their junk? i'm not saying the Gerber is any good or that it's horrible because i don't have one nor have i used one, but i do know it's not a high end blade so it's shouldn't be compared to such. as far as bear grylls himself goes, i notice a lot of people like to bash him because him because he leaves the wilderness to sleep in hotels at night. so what!! that doesn't negate the fact that this guy has the skills and training (and the credentials to boot) to out survive 99% of the people on this board.
    if giving the choice to sleep on the wet ground or a warm bed at night which would you chose?

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    rjstew317- He is a handsome man, and perhaps you are enamored of "the Bear" like my teen daughters. Perhaps you picture the Bear in his hotel room during the midnight hours..... That is the only way I can see you would overlook what an A$$hat he is!! He may have a former reserve SAS background, but if he does the stuff from TV in a real survival situation, my mom will outlast him in the wild.

You will see a lot of us bash "BEAR" because of the STUPID RISKY THINGS HE DOES on his show. If you go through his episodes, he does things no one who is alone and trying to survive would purposely do. He is his own worst enemy. And a lot of the "techniques" he shows are fabricated.

Les Stroud and the pair from DUAL Survival are much more realistic. Although I hate the fact that Lundeen won't put on shoes or grown man pants, he is the real deal.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    rjstew317- He is a handsome man, and perhaps you are enamored of "the Bear" like my teen daughters. Perhaps you picture the Bear in his hotel room during the midnight hours..... That is the only way I can see you would overlook what an A$$hat he is!! He may have a former reserve SAS background, but if he does the stuff from TV in a real survival situation, my mom will outlast him in the wild.

You will see a lot of us bash "BEAR" because of the STUPID RISKY THINGS HE DOES on his show. If you go through his episodes, he does things no one who is alone and trying to survive would purposely do. He is his own worst enemy. And a lot of the "techniques" he shows are fabricated.

Les Stroud and the pair from DUAL Survival are much more realistic. Although I hate the fact that Lundeen won't put on shoes or grown man pants, he is the real deal.
    DanO, perhaps you have spent to much time as an internet commando and forgot that most shows on TV are for entertainment purposes and that they make money based on ratings.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    rjstew - Hope you took my first paragraph as the lighthearted jest it was intended to be. I believe your comment on entertainment and ratings pretty much proves my point.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    rjstew - Hope you took my first paragraph as the lighthearted jest it was intended to be. I believe your comment on entertainment and ratings pretty much proves my point.
    it's cool. I'm just saying the guy is using a specialized skills set that he has acquired through years of training to make a buck, for entertainment. sure there are a ton of things that he does on his TV show that would get you or I killed, but that's what keeps people watching and advertisers shelling out the dough. if people watch the show and think "I can do that" and get themselves killed in the process then I say we chalk that up to Darwinism.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    If you go voer the the Deathvalleymagazine.com site, they have an interesting take on Bear...

Rjstew - Ok, you see what we see. Grylls gets viewers by being a good looking guy with an exotic (for us) accent doing athletic (if stupid) stuff. Stroud is not so great to look at, especially after being bug bitten, sun burned and sleep deprived and as a result he has less viewers, even if that is really what survival is like.

Once a showman like Grylls puts his name on gear, I get very supsicious about the quality control...

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    If you go voer the the Deathvalleymagazine.com site, they have an interesting take on Bear...

Rjstew - Ok, you see what we see. Grylls gets viewers by being a good looking guy with an exotic (for us) accent doing athletic (if stupid) stuff. Stroud is not so great to look at, especially after being bug bitten, sun burned and sleep deprived and as a result he has less viewers, even if that is really what survival is like.

Once a showman like Grylls puts his name on gear, I get very supsicious about the quality control...
    unfortunately they have to take the "reality" out of reality TV.
    and Les Stroud is the man.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Rather than start a new thread, I'm going to revive this one.

Has the quality on this knife improved at all since? My wife really likes them (comfort wise, haven't used one), and she won't put it to extremely heavy duty use like chopping or anything. Mostly a general purpose, camping, skinning, etc. use.

I figure for $50 and no more than she'll put this one to use it's probably worth it since it's what she likes and will make her happy. What say you blade gurus of INGO?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom