• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    After reading the article, I'm seriously thinking about having a belt ready to go. Especially since my "lounging" pants have no pockets, and are drawstring.

I like the idea of being able to carry additional mags. And plus, the best would look good with the pants I'd be wearing. Right now they are Batman. Last night it was Mario Brothers. Tomorrow may be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It sounds cool in theory, but violence is faster than that. I mean if you have time to get it on, sure....but in reality you need a gun with a large cap magazine and an attached light because that's really all you can count on having time to grab.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    I have a belt set up just like this but I leave it buckled. Since I sleep commando, I just get up and throw the belt over the "hook". :laugh:

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Interesting idea. I have a somewhat similar setup but not on a belt. My wheelchair has a Safariland holster for my G17 w/TLR1. On opposite side I have flashlight, G17 mag, cell phone.

On the back of my chair I am planning on sewing on MOLLE webbing and adding pouches. Shotgun or AR mags will be easy to attach/reach.

My AR has 60 rounds ready, shotgun has 6 in gun and 6 on sidesaddle, G17 stays in holster. I get up, G17 is always with me. AR or shotgun needed all I need to do is reach 2ft away.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    If I hear something suspicious in the night I am not going to worry about belts or even pants for that matter. I grab my gun, in the dark and quietly move through the house. We have small night lights in various places and I can see perfectly since my eyes have not been subjected to lights.
    I pity anyone I ever meet in that situation. Getting shot by an old, fat man in his underwear would not be fun.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I didn't read the entire thing, but the parts I did read, I saw no mention of a dog. I believe having a dog, or dogs, is the most valuable defensive investment a person can make. I have two medium sized dogs, one is a fox hound, the other is a pit bull border collie mix, and even if someone kicks down the door and is in in an instant, they will almost certainly have to deal with the dogs before they get to me or my family. I think anyone who wants to seriously discuss home defense should at least throw in a line or two about the importance of having at least one dog.:twocents:

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I remember Massad Ayoob recommending setting up a shoulder holster as a bump in the night rig. My question about these war belts is do they flop around if you don't have them secured to an underbelt? I would think it might make it hard to grab your gear out of the pouches if the belt was moving around every time you tried to grab something.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I didn't read the entire thing, but the parts I did read, I saw no mention of a dog. I believe having a dog, or dogs, is the most valuable defensive investment a person can make. I have two medium sized dogs, one is a fox hound, the other is a pit bull border collie mix, and even if someone kicks down the door and is in in an instant, they will almost certainly have to deal with the dogs before they get to me or my family. I think anyone who wants to seriously discuss home defense should at least throw in a line or two about the importance of having at least one dog.:twocents:

We have a Sibe, a Sibe/Golden mix, and a Sibe/German Shepherd mix. Their keen senses amaze me with regularity. There's no way anyone's breaking a twig in our yard let alone breaking into the house without all hell breaking loose on them. First, the dogs, then me and my weapons. Yeah, that's the way to do it.

B6240

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    South Central IN
    This is a real good idea. I just keep light next to my drawer safe with my gun in it of course I have to put my glasses on first to be worth anything.

JustinCase

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Greenwood

Agreed - a couple of big dogs will always be part of my security system. Had an ADT door to door salesman come to my house a while back. My German Shepherd and Great Dane were at the door before he even knocked. When I got to the door he said "guess you don't need an alarm" and walked away...lol.

Last edited:

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    The size of the dog doesn't really matter, as long as they are big enough to give you an early warning. Even the little foo foo dogs will hear a threat before you will and start barking. If something wakes me in the middle of the night, and sometimes any light sound will, I always look to the dogs to see if I need to grab my gun and check it out. They have always been right, so far.

JustinCase

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Greenwood
    The size of the dog doesn't really matter, as long as they are big enough to give you an early warning. Even the little foo foo dogs will hear a threat before you will and start barking. If something wakes me in the middle of the night, and sometimes any light sound will, I always look to the dogs to see if I need to grab my gun and check it out. They have always been right, so far.

Agreed that any dog will usually give you early warning, and any dog is better than none. Not everyone is capable of or comfortable with owning a big dog. But a big dog (or, preferably, dogs) can keep an intruder at bay and very distracted until you get there to handle the situation. Not knocking the little dogs, I know a couple of Jack Russels that would definitely do the job. But I feel much more comfortable knowing that my (big) dogs will aid in the defense of my family even if I'm not home.

Top Bottom