• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    After reading the following I wondered if this is the type of behaviour we can expect under the leadership of our new president. Had those opposed to homosexuals rallied and entered their turf how many arrest for hate speech and whatever would have taken place? What really strikes me with these sick people is they rallied behind the democratic process that got their man elected but on the other hand when proposition 8 in CA was brought before the voters they protested the process. What a confused and unhappy group of people.

Gay rights protesters disrupt Sunday service

People threw fliers, shouted slogans at Delta Township church

Kathleen Lavey
    klavey@lsj.com

DELTA TWP. - A radical gay rights group is claiming responsibility for a protest Sunday at Mount Hope Church in Delta Township.
    Protesters who entered the Creyts Road church along with worshippers surprised the congregation when they stood up during the service, threw fliers at churchgoers and shouted slogans such as "It's OK to be gay," and "Jesus was a homo," according to David Williams, communications director at the church. His father, Dave Williams, is the church's longtime pastor. He was not preaching at the church Sunday.
    Another group of protesters demonstrated outside the church at the same time as the indoor protest.
    The Eaton County Sheriff's Department responded to the scene Sunday but no arrests were made.
    In a released statement, David Williams said churchgoers were unclear as to the purpose of the demonstration.
    A Lansing group affiliated with a radical gay organization known as Bash Back, formed to protest the Republican and Democratic national conventions earlier this year, put out a call on the Internet on Oct. 7 for activists to come to a "radical queer convergence" in Lansing on Nov. 7-9.
    A posting on its MySpace page declared the convergence a "fierce success."
    Fire alarm pulled
    According to a report on the Bash Back group's news site, protesters inside the church pulled a fire alarm, unfurled a banner from the church balcony, shouted and threw fliers to the worshippers.
    Outside the church, protesters carried picket signs and an upside-down, pink cross.
    The conservative RightMichigan Web site posted an account of the incident Monday, and a number of conservative bloggers had picked up on the item by Tuesday.
    Williams said the church had received 80 to 85 e-mails and phone calls by Tuesday, "from churches and individuals around the country to express their concern and general disgust for what happened on Sunday."
    No arrests made
    Mount Hope Church, affiliated with the Assemblies of God denomination, teaches followers that homosexuality is a sin.
    However, "Mount Hope Church strives to follow Jesus' example of loving the sinner but not the sin," Williams said.
    The Eaton County Sheriff's Department got a call regarding the protest at about noon Sunday, said Lt. Jeff Warder.
    Warder said protesters outside the church left peacefully when someone from the team of pastors came outside and told them they were not welcome on church property.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    What really strikes me with these sick people is they rallied behind the democratic process that got their man elected but on the other hand when proposition 8 in CA was brought before the voters they protested the process.

The irony is that the increased black voter turnout probably doomed Prop 8. Blacks were opposed in greater proportions than other racial groups.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Heh, I saw that the blacks voted by 70% against the gay agenda. Of course it wouldn't be politically correct to attack them, so they are going after the Christians and Mormons. ALways safe groups to attack.

rcuhljr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Carmel
    Heh, I saw that the blacks voted by 70% against the gay agenda. Of course it wouldn't be politically correct to attack them, so they are going after the Christians and Mormons. ALways safe groups to attack.

Well it's equal blame really, blacks catch flak for voting against the general democratic ticket (and adding ironic overtones to the civil rights and gay rights comparisons) while mormons catch flak for the massive amount of money dumped into this debate.

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    Fred phelps evil twin organization?

A radical gay rights group is claiming responsibility for a protest

Regardless of what you do there will always be small groups who take their stance to the extreme. Attempting to draw a generalization on these fringe lunatics is both asinine and failure prone.

I don't want to get into the whole homosexual marriage vs. the church debate, but I seriously hope you're referring to them as "sick people" because their obviously a bit wacko in much the same way that the Phelps organization is and not because of their homosexuality. To do otherwise is to lower yourself to the lowest common denominator and show yourself to be no better than them in the regards that you'll go to any lengths to achieve your pre-determined agenda.

Also attempting to create the idea that just because a small group or wackos performed one act that the rest of the homosexual and democratic voting populace will follow in their footsteps is the equivalent of me saying that because the Phelps family hasn't been locked up yet for their actions that all christians and republican voting members of the populace will begin to follow in their beliefs and actions. I hope you see the issue with making these kind of presumptious statements.

rcuhljr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Carmel
    Regardless of what you do there will always be small groups who take their stance to the extreme. Attempting to draw a generalization on these fringe lunatics is both asinine and failure prone.

I don't want to get into the whole homosexual marriage vs. the church debate, but I seriously hope you're referring to them as "sick people" because their obviously a bit wacko in much the same way that the Phelps organization is and not because of their homosexuality. To do otherwise is to lower yourself to the lowest common denominator and show yourself to be no better than them in the regards that you'll go to any lengths to achieve your pre-determined agenda.

Also attempting to create the idea that just because a small group or wackos performed one act that the rest of the homosexual and democratic voting populace will follow in their footsteps is the equivalent of me saying that because the Phelps family hasn't been locked up yet for their actions that all christians and republican voting members of the populace will begin to follow in their beliefs and actions. I hope you see the issue with making these kind of presumptious statements.

I'm not sure where you got any of that from my statement. I just commented it seemed like a twin group to the fred phelps clowns just on the opposite side of the issue. I thought it was kind of fitting that both sides get the same caliber of crazies now.

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    I'm not sure where you got any of that from my statement. I just commented it seemed like a twin group to the fred phelps clowns just on the opposite side of the issue. I thought it was kind of fitting that both sides get the same caliber of crazies now.

I apologize. My post was directed at the OP. I was agreeing with you that this was just the other end of the same stick so to speak. Sorry for the confusion.

Top Bottom