• ...and so much more!
  • Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Finally finished. All in ground by 5/21. Now let's hope it survives all the water
    58546c51be803b771be127d79e13a14f.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

MRockwell

Just Me
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    If anyone needs a place to buy garden plants, I recommend Paul's Nursery on the southeast side of Indy. It's at the corner of Brookville Rd and Kitley. I've been getting tomatoes, peppers, cauliflower, and eggplant there for the past few years and am very impressed with the quality. Our sweet 100 and roma tomatoes went gangbusters last year.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I finally got the top 3" turned with the urea, sulphur, and peat...about :20 ahead of the next band of rain.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My garden is still a muddy mess. :(

Ours is a raised bed. just short of 30" high. Drains off nicely but can still be a mess with the amount of rain we have had.
    Finished up some pressing projects and was gearing up to put the rest of the onions in the ground and yup....that is rain. For real.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ours is a raised bed. just short of 30" high. Drains off nicely but can still be a mess with the amount of rain we have had.
    Finished up some pressing projects and was gearing up to put the rest of the onions in the ground and yup....that is rain. For real.
    Yeah, we had a downpour here just a bit ago. I need a solid week of dry weather. Might be able to make it with 5 days. I've got a Troy-bilt rear tine that pulverizes it pretty well even if a bit damp, but just not when it's downright wet.

I can't imagine a 30" high bed! I like the idea, but do you have to get out a ladder to harvest the tomatoes when they get full sized? Or just climb up in the bed with them? Did you have the topsoil hauled in for that?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My garden is flooded now. Just got at least 1-2" of rain in 30 minutes along with mostly peas sized hail, but some the size of a quarter. Ugh! Im so sick of this weather

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Rained good here too but no hail. Pretty sure I don't need to water anything...garden or flowers. It looks like the second batch that was heading this way went past us.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Rained good here too but no hail. Pretty sure I don't need to water anything...garden or flowers. It looks like the second batch that was heading this way went past us.

Few tornados near where im at. 1 about 15 miles southwest and another about 15 miles east of us. Thankful that that missed us

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We had a warning and it sounds like one may have touched down in Akron...southeast of here.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, we had a downpour here just a bit ago. I need a solid week of dry weather. Might be able to make it with 5 days. I've got a Troy-bilt rear tine that pulverizes it pretty well even if a bit damp, but just not when it's downright wet.

I can't imagine a 30" high bed! I like the idea, but do you have to get out a ladder to harvest the tomatoes when they get full sized? Or just climb up in the bed with them? Did you have the topsoil hauled in for that?

We did some work on the drainage in the yards years back. We piled the excess behind the garage and evened it out. Let it settle. Piled years of grass clippings and leaves on it and tilled it in every year. After about 8 years we decided it was time to have a garden. I tilled in a crap load of additives and brother it is fertile. We cleaned up the sides and put up a stone landscaping wall all around it. I built some steps to get up there. We water from the rain barrels with a pump. The maters are planted along the far side close to the edge The potatoes are in huge pots set up along the south side.

I just did a real measurement and the bed is 24"s high.

We are still figuring all of this out but when we get it right the garden fresh salads are amazing.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Finally put 12 tomato plants in and 6 bell peppers. The mounding idea should work.
    Way to sloppy to get the green bean seeds in the rows.
    Hope all of you up north are safe. Rough weather up there.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We did some work on the drainage in the yards years back. We piled the excess behind the garage and evened it out. Let it settle. Piled years of grass clippings and leaves on it and tilled it in every year. After about 8 years we decided it was time to have a garden. I tilled in a crap load of additives and brother it is fertile. We cleaned up the sides and put up a stone landscaping wall all around it. I built some steps to get up there. We water from the rain barrels with a pump. The maters are planted along the far side close to the edge The potatoes are in huge pots set up along the south side.

I just did a real measurement and the bed is 24"s high.

We are still figuring all of this out but when we get it right the garden fresh salads are amazing.

Wow, sounds like a really nice setup! Do you still till it, or just turn it over by hand to prep it?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow, sounds like a really nice setup! Do you still till it, or just turn it over by hand to prep it?

I tilled it this year as I still do the leaves thing. We use a leaf mulcher and bag them up. They sit all winter. I spread them out and till it in. I added more sand for the onions this year. Then I put down a ground cover to keep the weeds at bay.

The rain barrels can go for a good while with no additional rain.
    IEpYuU7.jpg

The pots are for potatoes. The maters are on the edge to the right Fence is for the cucumbers and onions fill up the rest.
    4PEDvQP.jpg

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Got most of the rest of the garden in - broccoli, kale (yuk), okra (double yuk), peppers (bleah), sweet potatoes, pumpkins, zucchini, cantaloupe, squash. Potatoes and peas coming along nicely, rhubarb going crazy. Looks like the hard winter killed our oregano.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    We also got the garden in last night. All of it.

Hamstrings are NOT happy today....

Top Bottom