• ...and so much more!
  • jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Related story: I was at Cabela's with the wife last night, showing her the different styles of pistols. The elderly gentleman behind the counter almost refused to show us a 1911, stating it was a "dangerous gun that kills people". I deadpaned back without hesitation, "Isn't that the point?" :n00b:

There's no room for negative opinions in retail. If the person wants to see a gun, shut up and put it on the glass!

Sorry, I don't believe you.

Tim Enyeart

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Marion
    I personally prefer to be well equipped for all occasions. I have good things to say about my Walther, H&K, GSG and Glock, but they don't replace my desire to own my S&W, Ruger, Mossburg, Marlin or Rock River. I'll throw a plug in for my SKS and 91/30 as very likable, dependable and a lot of fun too but they're in their own category.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Sorry, I don't believe you.

Sorry. Your beliefs don't concern me. :dunno:

Rest of the story:

After the exchange of words about the 1911, the guy put the Steyr M9 he was pushing on my wife back under the glass and told us to "Go see a movie and think about it.", then walked away.

Old man, crooked right thumb "Broke it when I got slidebite in the army". Go find him, and tell him your wife wants to look at a 1911.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Related story: I was at Cabela's with the wife last night, showing her the different styles of pistols. The elderly gentleman behind the counter almost refused to show us a 1911, stating it was a "dangerous gun that kills people". I deadpaned back without hesitation, "Isn't that the point?" :n00b:

There's no room for negative opinions in retail. If the person wants to see a gun, shut up and put it on the glass!

Well then, give me 3 of them!!!!!!!!!
    :ar15::ar15::ar15:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    When I am considering Purchasing something [STRIKE]that may/will be used to save my life[/STRIKE], I look at quality over where something is made. If US Companies, want my business, then earn it, with something other than the tired worn out saying buy American. They can pony up and compete or they can fold under, I really don't care.

This is my philosophy, too. I happen to think that no one nation has a lock on making quality or making junk.

Some can make cheaper quality or more expensive junk, but that has nothing to do with a particular country of origin.

For example, there are Chinese companies making things that can rival the very best products from a Western economy (usually a Chinese subsidiary of that Western company). There are also Chinese products that are total junk. But neither of these outcomes has to do with being made in China.

Frankly, it's absurd to think that buying a Dodge made in Mexico is somehow more American than buying a Chevy made in Canada or a Honda made in Ohio.

For certain kind of products, I have noticed a tendency for my favorites to be made in a given country. High end blade steels seem to come more from Japan. Great straight razors all seem to hail from Germany. Great fountain pens come from both Germany and Japan, and Italy as well. Great electronics no longer come from either one, but come from Korea or Indonesia.

I'm too much of a believer in the free market to indulge the idea that an American product is superior just by virtue of being made here.

I'm proud of my country and my fellow Americans and I know that they are capable of making the very best in the world. But that doesn't mean its cost effective to do so, or that it necessarily happens. Each country has different comparative advantages and disadvantages.

In my mind, few things can convince me of a person's utter ignorance as a blanket indictment of a country's products or blanket endorsement of another country's products.

JMO

cory nigra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    wow im taking a beating in here on this thread. let me just say i was window shopping. i dont buy firearms from GM but i do like to look around and see outragous prices. i belive as americans we do make quality as well as other countries around the world. my whole point is the salesman sucked and his opinion. first rule of sales be enthusiastic about what people are intrested in no matter what. the customer is always right.

Vladislas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The kids that work there are doing what they have been trained to do and nothing more. They more then likely know nothing about the guns that they are selling.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    There's no room for negative opinions in retail.

Yeah, there is. I'm not going to blow smoke up someone's butt about how great a Lorcin .380 is, when I know better.

If the person wants to see a gun, shut up and put it on the glass!

Fair enough, but if a person asks my opinion, or doesn't know anything about the product or its merits or lack thereof vs. other products, I'mma give it to him straight.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Your first mistake is listening to an average Gander Mtn employee, I was previously employed there and I tried to right most of the retarded ideas, excuses, and thoughts given there. It didnt take, but I know I lined a few out on what firearms they bought, and I'm sure they are still enjoying them.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    When I am considering Purchasing something [STRIKE]that may/will be used to save my life[/STRIKE], I look at quality over where something is made. If US Companies, want my business, then earn it, with something other than the tired worn out saying buy American. They can pony up and compete or they can fold under, I really don't care.

One of the reasons, I will probably never buy another US Made Car...
    One of the reasons, I tend to buy a fair amount of tools that are foreign made...
    One of the reasons, My Kitchen Cutlery says made in Germany...

Ok, I'll bite.

Why won't you buy American cars?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The kids that work there are doing what they have been trained to do and nothing more. They more then likely know nothing about the guns that they are selling.

There's a kid at the Gander Mtn in Greenwood that is more knowledgeable than almost any adult about most guns. He probably knows ARs more than 70% of gun enthusiasts.

You have to account for some kids that have been raised to be gun nuts and eat, sleep, and breathe them.

JH

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Yeah, there is. I'm not going to blow smoke up someone's butt about how great a Lorcin .380 is, when I know better.

I'll give ya that, some of the stuff out ther is garbage. But if it's in your inventory, and someone wants it, don't talk 'em out of it.

Besides, I didn't ask to see a Lorcin .380, I asked to see a 1911.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I'll give ya that, some of the stuff out ther is garbage. But if it's in your inventory, and someone wants it, don't talk 'em out of it.

Besides, I didn't ask to see a Lorcin .380, I asked to see a 1911.

I'd do my best to talk you out of something that is garbage.

That is the essence of customer service.

That being said, anyone that I've talked guns with in a gun store knew it all already.....

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    But if it's in your inventory, and someone wants it, don't talk 'em out of it.

Why not, if during the course of my discussion with the customer it becomes apparent that it won't be the best fit for his needs/wants/mission/budget? Is it not my job to suggest other things that might be a better fit? If he decides he still wants the original product, fine, but at least then he's making an INFORMED decision.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Fair enough, but if a person asks my opinion, or doesn't know anything about the product or its merits or lack thereof vs. other products, I'mma give it to him straight.
    This, is WHY, I like YOU, and Bradis, so much STRAIGHT FORWARD and HONEST ..... I tell MY customers the same thing.... (Auto Parts) ...

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I'd do my best to talk you out of something that is garbage.

That is the essence of customer service.

That being said, anyone that I've talked guns with in a gun store knew it all already.....

Why not, if during the course of my discussion with the customer it becomes apparent that it won't be the best fit for his needs/wants/mission/budget? Is it not my job to suggest other things that might be a better fit? If he decides he still wants the original product, fine, but at least then he's making an INFORMED decision.

My earlier comment about "It's in your inventory, sell it" may have been taken out of context. I wasn't talking about Lorcins, I was talking about quality guns from respectable manufacturers. If it's in your inventory, and a customer wants it, don't walk away from a sale because YOU don't like it. I didn't want a Steyr, I was asking about Glock, Walther, Springfield, and 1911s in general. This guy wasn't having it. He wanted to sell that Steyr. I wasn't looking for an opinion, I was trying to see what fit my wife's hands best. I had money to spend, and he walked away. Salespeople shouldn't walk away from a sale, period.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

One of the reasons, I will probably never buy another US Made Car...
    One of the reasons, I tend to buy a fair amount of tools that are foreign made...
    One of the reasons, My Kitchen Cutlery says made in Germany...

Can't wait until we use UN troops so we don't have damn retirements/GI bill/etc to pay for.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    subaru is a us made car. or do we need to get picky and say "US assembled"? if thats the case, there is no car made in the US completely.

Top Bottom