• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I guess you've never bought a bottles water at a gas station!

No guessing about it, you're right, I never have purchased a bottle of water at a gas station, or a bottle of pop/cola at one either. Only thing I've ever bought at a gas station is gas and oil, never anything else. That is in over 50 years of driving.

However I have purchased gas which is controlled by the speculators.:xmad:

Oh wait, cigs in my younger more foolish days.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Bought a 590A1 at gander mountain the other day.

Considering the cost of shipping and FFL transfer fees, if it WAS possible to order one online it would have still cost as much as it did there...

They had winchester 00 buck for $5.49 per 5, which seems pretty normal to me.

I know some of their stuff is insane, most specifically handguns and handgun ammunition. Standard P226 over $1000, I started laughing when I noticed it while checking out.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I get so tired of you guys with your "It's capitalism,blah,blah,blah, you don't understand how capitalism works blah,blah,blah." The price on this stuff is NOT being driven up at a manufacturing level. Dealers are getting this stuff at the same price they always have or very slightly higher. When gas stations raise their price it is because they are paying more for it from THEIR supplier and the cost is then passed off to us. Very little per gallon actually goes to the store you are buying it from. When these gun/ammo dealers buy something at the same price they did 6 months ago and sell it for 3-4 times what they charged for it 6 months ago it is GOUGING plain and simple. Are there people with more money than sense that will pay it? Of course,there always are, but that doesn't change the fact that it is gouging. Just like the guys (who are actually the biggest part of the problem in the first place)waiting in line on shipment days to buy the stuff before it can even hit the shelves at regular price so they can turn around and GOUGE someone else with inflated prices that they created in the first damn place. Just because you CAN do something doesn't make it the RIGHT thing to do. I would also like to know how many of you who like to give lessons in capitalism and defend the gouging of your fellow sportsman have been taking advantage of others yourselves.

half-glocked

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I get so tired of you guys with your "It's capitalism,blah,blah,blah, you don't understand how capitalism works blah,blah,blah." The price on this stuff is NOT being driven up at a manufacturing level. Dealers are getting this stuff at the same price they always have or very slightly higher. When gas stations raise their price it is because they are paying more for it from THEIR supplier and the cost is then passed off to us. Very little per gallon actually goes to the store you are buying it from. When these gun/ammo dealers buy something at the same price they did 6 months ago and sell it for 3-4 times what they charged for it 6 months ago it is GOUGING plain and simple. Are there people with more money than sense that will pay it? Of course,there always are, but that doesn't change the fact that it is gouging. Just like the guys (who are actually the biggest part of the problem in the first place)waiting in line on shipment days to buy the stuff before it can even hit the shelves at regular price so they can turn around and GOUGE someone else with inflated prices that they created in the first damn place. Just because you CAN do something doesn't make it the RIGHT thing to do. I would also like to know how many of you who like to give lessons in capitalism and defend the gouging of your fellow sportsman have been taking advantage of others yourselves.

Gouge (noun)
    overcharging: an instance of paying too much or being charged exorbitantly for goods or services ( informal )

Imo, to be gouged, one needs to be willing to pay the exorbitant amount. I'm not. And it doesn't sound like you are, either. I'm not angry with any company that tries to charge more for ammunition. I'll just vote with my wallet. If the ammo is too expensive, I will either wait or try to find it elsewhere. The company doesn't "owe" you or me the ammo at the price you or I want it for.

Oh, and absolutely it's the right thing to do. If there are people who are willing to pay those prices, there are people who want the ammo more than you or I do (demand? maybe? ;)). I don't care how much the retailer pays the manufacturor for the the product, they have to balance how quickly it's flying off the shelf with how much they can make off of it.

Oh and nice straw-man at the end of that argument. Sorry I didn't take the bait. :rolleyes:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Well, they seem to be the only major retailer taking advantage of the times...and us. Went in last week and they finally had some .308.....wait for it....$50.00 a box! I mentioned it to one of the guys working there and he had the stones to reply "what's wrong with making money."

I will never go back to Gander Mt for a single item, regardless of how much it is or how much harder it will be to get it online. I'm so pissed. Worthless pricks.

And no, they will not get an honorable mention for gunshop of the year.
    I pose you a question:
    "Would you rather buy 1 box at $50 or 0 boxes at $30?" Take it a step further... "Would you rather buy 1 box at $150 or 0 boxes at $0.01?" Let's go even one more step and say you literally needed the ammunition... Let's assume for the sake of argument that there is *no* ammunition in-stock *anywhere* else and Gander, due to their pricing, is the only option as the rest sell it out before it even hits the shelf. What is your answer?

It's capitalism at work - supply and demand. Let's say their cost was $0.10 but they could only get 5 boxes/week. I'm sure whoever got to buy those 5 boxes at $0.20 or $0.30 would be happy, the rest would be pretty P.O.d about it but I doubt they would be complaining about the price in this case.

In the real world if supply is short, you raise prices until sales slow down long enough for you to keep some in stock. If it's not worth $50 to you, then you move along, I'm not sure why you would get upset about it.

At the end of the day, I agree, "What's wrong with making some money?"

It's not like they went to your local gun shop and bought out all of their ammo at $20/box and then took it back to their store to sell at $50/box.

I used to do design work (web design) and there was a point where I was getting so much work I couldn't keep up... What did I do? I raised prices until I could keep up with the in-flow of work. Not only did this allow me to limit how much work I did but also I was able to maintain the same overall amount of income. I.e. instead of 50 jobs/week at $1500 I could do 20 jobs/week for $1500. The end result is that I was able to spend more time focusing on each job, to do a better job, and I wasn't rushing through things and/or overwhelmed.

Did people cry/b*tch/complain/whine? Sure they did - at which point I told them they were welcome to find another designer to do the work for them at a lower price. I did, however, offer to do it for them at the lower price on the understanding that they would not have their request serviced until all others who paid the normal/full/higher price were serviced - i.e. I'll do it at 50% discount, but you may be waiting 6 months instead of 1 week.

Gander is a larger store, so you're generally not going to meet the person that has direct control over individual item pricing. It all goes back to the question above - would you rather go back day after day or week after week to try and get some ammo at what you consider the 'normal' price or would you rather go there once and get what you needed at a higher price than what you consider normal. There are shops that are selling the ammo at 'normal' (read: pre-panic) pricing ... good luck finding any of it on the shelf. It doesn't matter if it's $0.01 if there's none on the shelf.

Last edited:

half-glocked

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I pose you a question:
    "Would you rather buy 1 box at $50 or 0 boxes at $30?" Take it a step further... "Would you rather buy 1 box at $150 or 0 boxes at $0.01?" Let's go even one more step and say you literally needed the ammunition... Let's assume for the sake of argument that there is *no* ammunition in-stock *anywhere* else and Gander, due to their pricing, is the only option as the rest sell it out before it even hits the shelf. What is your answer?

It's capitalism at work - supply and demand. Let's say their cost was $0.10 but they could only get 5 boxes/week. I'm sure whoever got to buy those 5 boxes at $0.20 or $0.30 would be happy, the rest would be pretty P.O.d about it but I doubt they would be complaining about the price in this case.

In the real world if supply is short, you raise prices until sales slow down long enough for you to keep some in stock. If it's not worth $50 to you, then you move along, I'm not sure why you would get upset about it.

It's not like they went to your local gun shop and bought out all of their ammo at $20/box and then took it back to their store to sell at $50/box.

I used to do design work (web design) and there was a point where I was getting so much work I couldn't keep up... What did I do? I raised prices until I could keep up with the in-flow of work. Not only did this allow me to limit how much work I did but also I was able to maintain the same overall amount of income. I.e. instead of 50 jobs/week at $1500 I could do 20 jobs/week for $1500. The end result is that I was able to spend more time focusing on each job, to do a better job, and I wasn't rushing through things and/or overwhelmed.

Did people cry/b*tch/complain/whine? Sure they did - at which point I told them they were welcome to find another designer to do the work for them at a lower price. I did, however, offer to do it for them at the lower price on the understanding that they would not have their request serviced until all others who paid the normal/full/higher price were serviced - i.e. I'll do it at 50% discount, but you may be waiting 6 months instead of 1 week.

Gander is a larger store, so you're generally not going to meet the person that has direct control over individual item pricing. It all goes back to the question above - would you rather go back day after day or week after week to try and get some ammo at what you consider the 'normal' price or would you rather go there once and get what you needed at a higher price than what you consider normal. There are shops that are selling the ammo at 'normal' (read: pre-panic) pricing ... good luck finding any of it on the shelf. It doesn't matter if it's $0.01 if there's none on the shelf.

Beautifully put! I'd love to rep you for this, but apparently I'm not allowed. :(

Do you mind if I copy this in an email and send it to my older sister? She and I have at least one argument about price-gouging ever three or four months and you explained this perfectly.

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    So if such dealer or lgs needs lets say $10,000 to pay their bills per month. Normaly they will make that by selling 400 guns. Since demand has went up they are getting less guns in stock. But that doesn't change what they need to make. So now they need to make that money with 300 guns. Therefore the price will go up. Seems pretty simple to me.

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    So if such dealer or lgs needs lets say $10,000 to pay their bills per month. Normaly they will make that by selling 400 guns. Since demand has went up they are getting less guns in stock. But that doesn't change what they need to make. So now they need to make that money with 300 guns. Therefore the price will go up. Seems pretty simple to me.

Well said, I have been concerned that some LGS may not make it due to very limited supply and inventory to sell. They need to adjust pricing to keep their stores open. They are in business to serve their customers, but they have to stay in business or else the customers will suffer as well.

I pose you a question:

Great statement. I would add one thing, where is it written the price someone charges for something is based only on their cost. Good pricing models are based on customer demand and what they would be willing to pay for it.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Great statement. I would add one thing, where is it written the price someone charges for something is based only on their cost. Good pricing models are based on customer demand and what they would be willing to pay for it.
    It doesn't have to be written. Actual cost is the starting point from which the mark-up is derived. Supply and demand are secondary to actual cost.

You wouldn't list a product that costs you $500 for $300, why? See above. It's a simple and common-sense point I didn't think needed pointed out just as I also didn't feel the need to point out that we're on INGO and that my username is MikeDVB :).

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Those of us who walk in and see 50 round boxes of .22lr for $45 shake our heads and walk out. Others see it as a deal, having entered into the game late and walk out smiling. It happened the other day when I was there.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Those of us who walk in and see 50 round boxes of .22lr for $45 shake our heads and walk out. Others see it as a deal, having entered into the game late and walk out smiling. It happened the other day when I was there.
    The difference is that you have the choice.

You get to choose not to buy it, versus not having the option at all with an empty shelf if it were priced at $20 or $15.

If you want it, it's there... If you don't, there are others that will.

All of those crying 'gouge' make it out as though buying the box of ammunition is required by law and they have no choice which is clearly not the case.

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    It doesn't have to be written. Actual cost is the starting point from which the mark-up is derived. Supply and demand are secondary to actual cost.

You wouldn't list a product that costs you $500 for $300, why? See above. It's a simple and common-sense point I didn't think needed pointed out just as I also didn't feel the need to point out that we're on INGO and that my username is MikeDVB :).

Wow, I was trying to pay you a compliment! The point about cost based pricing was more directed towards other comments in general. Sorry you took it the wrong way.

And for what it's worth, retailer's and other organizations do sell below cost on occasions. They don't make any profit, and loose money, but they do free up inventory investment dollars to use somewhere else. Also, some do it as a loss leader to bring customers into their store.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Wow, I was trying to pay you a compliment!
    I know, was just saying I didn't think that particular aspect needed spelled out is all. I've been up since 2 AM when I usually don't get up until about 9 AM so... it's already been a long day.

The point about cost based pricing was more directed towards other comments in general. Sorry you took it the wrong way.
    No, I understood what you were saying and addressed it for those who may not have fully understood the concept is all. Just because I quoted you, doesn't mean I was criticizing you.

And for what it's worth, retailer's and other organizations do sell below cost on occasions. They don't make any profit, and loose money, but they do free up inventory investment dollars to use somewhere else. Also, some do it as a loss leader to bring customers into their store.
    Indeed, again - more things I didn't feel pertinent and/or on-topic or needing covered. Those in retail understand these concepts, those not in retail don't.

Wal-Mart certainly loses money on $0.10 notebooks during 'back-to-school' but they make substantially more off of everything else you buy when they get you in their door instead of Meijer, OfficeDepot, etc. They know most people aren't going to buy just notebooks.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, they seem to be the only major retailer taking advantage of the times...and us. Went in last week and they finally had some .308.....wait for it....$50.00 a box! I mentioned it to one of the guys working there and he had the stones to reply "what's wrong with making money."

I will never go back to Gander Mt for a single item, regardless of how much it is or how much harder it will be to get it online. I'm so pissed. Worthless pricks.

And no, they will not get an honorable mention for gunshop of the year.

Going to be honest I had about six customers look at me like I had a di#k on my head and get real butt hurt when I tried to explain the difference between core-lokt and Remington/Federal Sierra Matchking BTHP ammo. We had them in Fort Wayne for about 49 a box. Thats typical Gander pricing for that stuff. Gone in about an hour. If your location had range fodder priced that high then that sux. At Gander that high of a price usually commands some match flavored brass of one kind or another.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I must have been in the wrong isle. I was at FW gander this weekend and didn't see any 9 or 45 for less than $50 for 50. Basically no 22, def no bulk 22

We actually sold out of all 9/.40/45/.223/556..... on thursday. You looking at Hollowpoint defensive ammo?

sporty_live

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Brownsburg
    One more reason to ban Gander Mountain. Several weeks ago I was lucky enough (or so I thought) to find 4 boxes of American Eagle FMJ on their website for $15 a box. I entered my info and got my confirmation, done deal, right?

Wrong! I then receive an email stating that unfortunately their website had listed ammo as available that they didnt have in stock. I was told that my order would then be filled as soon as the next shipment came in.

THEN I get this generic email:
    "Thank you for your recent email. I will be happy to assist you. Unfortunately at the time your order was placed online, item 443238 the AE Handgun 9MM Ammo was out of stock. We recently received information from the manufacturer that we would not be receiving another shipment for this item this season. Therefore, this portion of your order was cancelled. Since your item has never shipped, you have not been charged for this item. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. If you have any additional questions or if we may be of further assistance please feel free to call us at 1-888-542-6337. Thank you for contacting Gander Mountain and have a great day!"

From being in a customer service driven industry, this email drives me absolutely nuts! Instead of offering a similar brand or possibly better brand to replace the item, Im simply told "sorry about your luck and to have a nice day". When did it become ok to basically tell your customer to F--- Off?

To rub salt in the wound, I was recently in the Lafayette Gander Mountain and they have the very same AE 9mm in stock, albeit at a price well above the $15 price I had online. Whatever...

Some can defend their right to charge what they want but this is simply inexcusable.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    One more reason to ban Gander Mountain.
    Feel free to boycott them, more ammo for everybody else.

From being in a customer service driven industry, this email drives me absolutely nuts! Instead of offering a similar brand or possibly better brand to replace the item, Im simply told "sorry about your luck and to have a nice day". When did it become ok to basically tell your customer to F--- Off?
    They made a mistake - they notified you. Would you have preferred they kept your money and said nothing? Then again, what do you expect them to do - offer you some *other* type of ammunition that is also out of stock as well? There is customer service and then there is unrealistic expectations.

To rub salt in the wound, I was recently in the Lafayette Gander Mountain and they have the very same AE 9mm in stock, albeit at a price well above the $15 price I had online. Whatever...
    And is the Lafayette Gander Mountain the warehouse/distribution center for their online sales? If so - then sure, be mad. If not - then I don't see how it's relevant.

That said, hey - at least it was in stock. How much do you want to bet if it was listed at $15 that it wouldn't have been on the shelf? You then wouldn't have even had the opportunity to pass on buying it.

Some can defend their right to charge what they want but this is simply inexcusable.
    They made a mistake and you're too critical, imho.

Sure, boycott them - more for the rest of us.

Top Bottom