• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    All theses gander stores must be different. The one in terre haute is NEVER cheaper on anything. Their gun prices are always full MSRP where most LGS sell for $50~75 under MSRP. On top of that their CS is horrendous in the firearms sections. Most of them are downright rude IF they even choose to acknowledge your existence. Now they have made it to where all ammo purchases must be made at the firearms counter where there are 200 customers, one cash register and no dedicated cashier. If they happen to be selling a gun and running paperwork you will stand there for a half hour just to check out. I absolutely despise that store and only go there when desperate and no place else is open.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    FWIW I was told by a GM sales person that certain stores are designated "Gun World" stores. Supposedly they are more competitive and put more emphasis on service in the firearms section. Our store does the Take a Number deal but I think it's good. You can walk around and look at other things and they call your number when it's up. Plus, this prevents people from posturing and slipping in front of a sales associate while you were looking through the glass at a gun.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I have never been overly impressed with their prices. But that's not really my issue with gander mountain....it's their TERRIBLE customer service. I have received nothing less that crap service and attitudes at the location on the north side of Indy.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    Its tough to feel sorry for the crowd that shows up at Gander Mountain early thursday morning to buy out the weeks worth of ammo they get in.

I really wish all these places just put them out at random times. I hate that people have actually figured out what day and time to be there. The fact that there are regulars is the problem. How many are really just buying for themselves. While I understand the hording part (I have always kept no less than 500 rounds of ever cal I have) many of these "new" horders are the problem. I heard a guy in Walmart I need that 9mm in case I buy one soon. Do you really need ammo for a gun you don't even have.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Barnes is right

Yes sometimes GM isn't the best deal but most of the times they have some good values... They don't panic mark up their products!! Like a lot of other LGS have since the panic started.. I hate when the membership on here bash others for so-called panic buying, hell I would love to get my hands on enough extra ammo to have a range day but that's not happening anytime soon... GM ain't that bad guys.

Bailey06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have purchased alot of things at Gander Mountain but like anything i purchase i usually research the item and see what prices they are going for. Sometimes they are reasonable and sometimes they are not. So far i have gotten good customer service and that makes a difference to me. I go to the Greenwood store though.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The best prices at Gander are $100-$150 more on any given handgun compared to Plainfield Shooter's Supply.

Ammo Prices... when everyone else was selling a box of .40S&W for $20 Gander was at $35-$40. They have it in stock cuz it's the last place anyone goes to buy it, and then most people won't pay it.

Camping gear... I like the 7 gallon Reliance water jugs and I buy another one every couple of years for my collection. Gander wants $19 and WalMart is $12.50.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The best prices at Gander are $100-$150 more on any given handgun compared to Plainfield Shooter's Supply.

Ammo Prices... when everyone else was selling a box of .40S&W for $20 Gander was at $35-$40. They have it in stock cuz it's the last place anyone goes to buy it, and then most people won't pay it.

Camping gear... I like the 7 gallon Reliance water jugs and I buy another one every couple of years for my collection. Gander wants $19 and WalMart is $12.50.

If it is true, then PSS should be selling M&P 9's for $350-400. I haven't seen that kind of pricing in a long time. Last year about this time I did see M&P's for around $400, but that was online. Add shipping, FFL transfer and you are closer to $450.

I like PSS okay. I bought my 1911 from them. They did have the best price I could find on that handgun. But on any handgun? I'm from Missouri on that one.

Scottie1317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Gander is good for me because I don't really care to drive all around town just to save 50 dollars. I see something I want I buy it and usually gander will have it in stock because it is 50 dollars more. Now ammo I usually pick that up at wal-mart

kungfupipe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Greencastle
    Gander will price match on any firearms as long as the competitor has it in stock. Just saying cause I have caught good deals there.I still like to support my local gun store

BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana
    Im glad I stumbled on this thread. 3 Thursdays ago my wife and I got there about 45mins before they opened the doors, we each picked up a 1600 rd cci minimag ammo can. This was our first ammo purchase, I gave my son a 22 rifle for his birthday and I recently acquired a GSG 1911 .22, our first firearms. I was planning on going around 8am next thursday to pick up some more since we are almost through the first can. I imagine we will slow down shooting once the newness wears off (yeah right lol). I will have to call and confirm that the Ft Wayne store is doing the same. Or can someone confirm that the FT Wayne GM is putting out the new shipment Friday mornings instead of Thursdays?

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Greenfield/Cumberland area
    This morning at Gander Mountain in Castleton Square area was wonderful. They handed out tickets to those wanting .223 ammo because of the shortage. They also had a FULL selection of .22 ammo and everyone there was so polite. I helped a young lady and got 2 boxes of .22 for her. Then later I over heard a man state he did not get any .22 before it was all gone so I gave him one of my boxes of 5. I will be returning next Friday to purchase more .22 ammo and resale it to the masses on here for a very very small mark up as I have done today. Thanks to everyone at Gander Mountain this morning that was polite and very nice to be around.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Theres a difference between the firearms and ammo, and all the rest of the stuff they sell..

When I compare GM with most LGS, their prices are about the same.

Walmart cant be beat for anything, and its unfair to compare any other company with them.. You have to expect, any item, sold anywhere other than walmart, is more expensive.

But, if you compare GM to non walmart stores, there is no problem with their prices, at least not that Ive seen.

Theres always someone who hates something.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My LGS tends to beat GM pricing on just about everything, except maybe canoes, and stuff he doesnt stock. GM ammo prices tend to be either high, or insane, depending on what you are looking for. I recently bought a case of 9mm online for $12/box, even after shipping, GMs price on the exact same thing of $44 and some change borders on pure:poop:

I wont lie, I stop in to gander at the inventory, and have on occasion found things that I felt were good to fair priceing, but generally speaking, GM is only a notch or two below Don on the asshat totem pole.:twocents:

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    I think ive bought 4 guns from gander but I do see a good price some times. I got a colt govt 380 in there for 550 last year which seem very fair evan used.

Top Bottom