• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I just finished season 3 of Game of Thrones (got way behind after season 2).

I really enjoyed it through season 2, but season 3 really shined. I love the unpredictability and 3-dimensional characters. My jaw literally dropped at the red wedding scene.

I'm going to start reading the books, but I can't decide if I should read beyond where season 3 ended or make my reading lag behind the show.

What say you, INGO?

Does the show spoil the book or does the book spoil the show?

trad78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Griffith
    I'm on book 4, season 4 is going to be half of book 3 and half of 4. Books 4 & 5 are suppose to take place at the same time, but with all the characters he split it into two. I read the books ahead of the show, didn't ruin it for me.

calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    Read the books first! Or better yet, listen to them audiobook. Most libraries in decent sized towns either have them in hard copy or digital checkout. Roy Dotrice reads them, and he is awesome.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Hmm. Maybe I'll go ahead and read the books, then.

I watched the episode with the Red Wedding right before bed... tough to go to sleep after that :nailbite:

This author is amazing. He writes these evil villains... then creates new villains more evil than I could even imagine and turns the original villain into the protagonist somehow?

I'm watching and asking myself "....why am I rooting for this guy so much!? He pushed a kid out of a window! But dang it if I don't want him to start kicking *** and taking names!"

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    The first couple of books were great, then they went downhill as did the author's motivation to actually write. I met George R R Martin about 8 years ago on his book tour for Feast of Crows and he backpeddled like crazy about splitting the books in two. Each book takes about 6 years to come out and George ain't the youngest author on earth. My guess is he passes before the series is finished.

I gave up at Feasts of Crows as it was about all of the characters I didn't care for, and he had FAR too many timelines going to keep them interesting and coherent.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    The first couple of books were great, then they went downhill as did the author's motivation to actually write. I met George R R Martin about 8 years ago on his book tour for Feast of Crows and he backpeddled like crazy about splitting the books in two. Each book takes about 6 years to come out and George ain't the youngest author on earth. My guess is he passes before the series is finished.

I gave up at Feasts of Crows as it was about all of the characters I didn't care for, and he had FAR too many timelines going to keep them interesting and coherent.

Agreed. Started feast and I fizzled out about 3/4 through. May pick it back up after season 4.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I'm about 5 chapters into Dance with Dragons and I can't get into it. The author almost seems to be stalling the story, spending obscene amounts of time describing each and every detail of someones clothes or home. The story is also very disconnected from all the characters we have already met. I agree with Mad Macs he better get on it or HBO will be writing the rest.

Sheppsan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Books first every time. Tried to read first couple of books after I saw the show and not as good IMO.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Wife and I got season one of GOT....by golly, this show is addictive. Finished the whole first season in 3 days...

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    In my opinion the books are ALWAYS better than the movies/tv shows. My imagination is always better. I will say that the series does seem to follow the books better than most and the visuals are pretty good (the Wall looked pretty much as I imagined it.)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Books first, as most have stated. I also agree that the books tend to go downhill. Dances with Dragons wasn't that good, which stank because I was really looking forward to reading it. If Martin doesn't get his stuff together, we'll end up with another WoT situation where the author dies before the story is complete and someone else will have to write an ending.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Books first, as most have stated. I also agree that the books tend to go downhill. Dances with Dragons wasn't that good, which stank because I was really looking forward to reading it. If Martin doesn't get his stuff together, we'll end up with another WoT situation where the author dies before the story is complete and someone else will have to write an ending.
    GRRM has already let the producers know how it will end up in case he passes before the books are finished.

Top Bottom