• ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Hello Everyone,
    I am interested in purchasing a M1 Garand from the CMP. In checking out the requirements I would need to meet in order to be eligible to purchase one, I have a question about having firearms related activity. In the link that I will provide below, it states that a conceal carry permit would meet the requirement.

Here's the link: Eligibility Requirements

Would this mean that I could use either my LTCH or my Utah license or does it mean only conceal carry permits from certain states?

I do know participating in a NRA or Appleseed class would definitely make me eligible. I just haven't signed up for either one yet whereas I do have both the Indiana and Utah gun license.

Thanks,
    Bobby

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I was wondering the same thing as I saw a reference that a LTCH would do, and well the way I read it doesn't seem like what they are looking for. Anyone actually used one, fact not fiction??

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    LTCH covers it, I've bought 2 and my brother has gotten about 10 useing it.
    We even went to Port Clinton and pick up a couple of them.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There's a link on the CMP website to something called the Garand Collector's Association. It literally exists just to let you buy from the CMP when you have no other reason to be able to do so. It's, like, $20 to join.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Ryan, Yes it is, but CMP doesn't sell Mosins. PM me if you want the number.

It's funny about the LTCH thing cuz right there on the web site it says

Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization: You must provide a copy of your current membership card or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot be waived.

It also says...

Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:
    • Current or past military service.
    • Current or past law enforcement service
    • Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
    • Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
    • Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status. - Concealed Carry License.
    • Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
    • Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
    • Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/forms/marksmanship.pdf
    but an IN LTCH has no live fire requirement.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    When I registered to buy years ago they asked for my CMP Affiliated membership card. I am a member of both the Ft Wayne Rifle and Revolver Club and the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association. They made copies of both cards and asked to see the new cards when the old ones expired and I wanted to buy another rifle.

I think this requirement for membership in a CMP Affiliated Organization cannot be waived.

Come to a CMP Rimfire Sporter Match/Clinic or a Garand Match/Clinic and walked away with a certificate that you can use to buy rifles. It is great fun and you might learn something too.

TempusFugit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    FCVCCC is affiliated as well as the Garand Collectors Association. Appleseed or just a regular ol' CCW permit works fine.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Thanks for the information! I was hoping my LTCH would work but wasn't sure. I plan to take classes like the Appleseed but my work schedule won't allow it until next spring or so. I didn't want to wait that long for a Garand if I didn't have to especially in this political climate.

Bobby

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Join an affiliated club.
    This^

We have NRA John C.Garand and vintage rifle matches here:
    www.southernindianarifleandpistolclub.com . You dont have to be a member to participate in them and you will get a certificate that is good for CMP. Best place to get a Garand imo unless you can buy one from an older vet that brought it home with him or got it as a retirement gift like I did. I have also bought a few from CMP. The CMP is a great organization and if you ever get the chance to go to the North or South store then jump on it! I went to the North store a few years ago and picked out my own rifle! I also ordered one via mail and it was a good one too but I really enjoyed the CMP store. Good luck and post some pics for us when you get yours. If you have any questions about the matches just shoot me a PM and I will help all I can.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I was in the CMP store Sunday and they are very busy with the National Matches going on but had some great looking M1's. The nice ones are going for 895 and up. A few at 585 but they looked rough. Some realy nice Kimber Model 82 .22LR http://thecmp.org/Sales/rifles.htm for 400
    that looked untouched (except for a unpacking cut on the stock) and 2 INGO members bought themselves one. The Kimbers won't last long with NM crowd.
    I am headed back Saturday and will shoot Sunday in the Presidents 100 and the national Trophy Match. I hope the kimbers are gone by then :D

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I was thinking about you yesterday. Did you shoot in the warm up match? The Marine Cpl that won it did an outstanding job.

Yep I shot a couple of targets down from him, he definately has got it going on. I went to the Advanced Small Arms Firing School (pretty cool panel of experts including Brian Zins!) and shot the warm up match. What a difference shooting at Camp Perry! Where I practice it is from a covered firing point. Basically shooting in the shade, no such thing at Perry. Glad I did shoot I think I got some real good dope for Sunday. My first 2 shots were misses both high. I adjusted my sight picture and cranked the sights down 4 clicks. By the time I shot the rapid fire I got the score up to an 84 and I can deal with that.

Top Bottom