• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Robbery suspect dies in street | The Journal Gazette

Although shots were fired inside the business, police said they didn’t know whether the clerk shot the robber in self-defense.

The man who died had entered Belmont Beverage, 1414 E. Tillman Road, near Lafayette Street, and demanded money just after 2:30 p.m. When officers arrived, he was found lying in the middle of Tillman and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

The other man, an employee at the store, was shot in the leg, said Mike Joyner, police spokesman. He was listed in fair condition at a hospital Wednesday night. Their names were not released Wednesday.

Good to see that someone is fighting back against crime.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I don't know how anyone could work at a liquor/convenience store and not be armed. You have a target on your back working in this environment.

I'm glad the clerk apparently defended himself.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Good thing he was rehabilitated before being released from prison. Good job to the store clerk.

A man who was shot to death during the robbery of a south-side liquor store was recently released from prison after serving time for a string of robberies across the city.
    Fort Wayne police said Jones is the same man responsible for dozens of city robberies in 1999 and 2000. Jones pleaded guilty in Allen Superior Court to robbing nine Fort Wayne businesses and was sentenced in July 2000 to 20 years in prison.
    One of the nine businesses Jones admitted to robbing a decade ago was the same Belmont Beverage location, according to Journal Gazette archived stories

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Glad to hear the clerk will be Ok!

Now, will he get a raise and promotion from the owner? How about a letter of appreciation from the Mayor and maybe a parade to honor him for ridding the community of this piece of trash!

If I were Mayor I'd create a new park and name it after him, including a plaque with his likeness etched in stone next to the story.

Buckaroo

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I love a happy ending. (Here's hoping the prosecutor doesn't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by prosecuting the clerk.)

Lt. Commander

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Ft. Wayne * Aboite
    More power to the store clerks of businesses that have the balls to be armed and actually go thought the process of defending themselves effectively. Sends a great message to the inner-city pukes that pray on us. How long until they get a clue...???

Scott

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    Glad to hear the clerk will be Ok!

Now, will he get a raise and promotion from the owner? How about a letter of appreciation from the Mayor and maybe a parade to honor him for ridding the community of this piece of trash!

If I were Mayor I'd create a new park and name it after him, including a plaque with his likeness etched in stone next to the story.

Buckaroo

In this screwed up world of ours he's liable to get sued by the dead guys family for wrongful death & lose the suit. I'm glad he's going to be ok. Chalk one up for the good guys!!!! I'm sure this won't get much attention in the mainstream media though - they hate when the good guys win..

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I went looking for an article or two about another liquor store in town and found what I was looking for.

Sunoco Clerk Kills Would-Be Robber | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com

FORT WAYNE, Ind. -- A convenience store clerk shot and killed a 27-year-old armed man attempting to rob a Fort Wayne Sunoco, police said.

Police found Patrick E. Byrd Jr., of Fort Wayne, lying outside, several feet from the entrance, said Michael Joyner, a spokesman for the Fort Wayne police department.

According to police, Byrd was shot in the neck. Paramedics rushed him to an area hospital in critical condition but he died upon arriving, Joyner said.

Joyner said a preliminary investigation indicated Byrd entered the convenience store at 9:47 p.m., flashed a handgun and demanded cash. Instead of following Byrd's orders, the attendant on duty, whose named was not released because of the ongoing investigation, produced his own handgun and shot at Byrd several times, The Journal (Ind.) Gazette reported.

Joyner said it was the first serious incident he could recall involving the Sunoco station. However, there have been other cases of botched armed-robbery attempts in the area that resulted in suspects being shot at, although never fatally.

In March 1998, a store clerk at Wildwood Liquors grabbed a 9-mm handgun from behind the counter during a holdup by two men. Gunfire was exchanged between one of the men and the clerk, who was shot in the hand and leg. The man, 28-year-old Michael Williams, was eventually convicted on attempted murder and attempted robbery charges.

And in November 1996, Nicholas Budowski, 23, was shot five times by two of the three employees inside the same liquor store after a botched holdup. He pleaded guilty to a charge of attempted robbery and was sentenced to 20 years.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I went looking for an article or two about another liquor store in town and found what I was looking for.

Sunoco Clerk Kills Would-Be Robber | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com

FORT WAYNE, Ind. -- A convenience store clerk shot and killed a 27-year-old armed man attempting to rob a Fort Wayne Sunoco, police said.

Police found Patrick E. Byrd Jr., of Fort Wayne, lying outside, several feet from the entrance, said Michael Joyner, a spokesman for the Fort Wayne police department.

According to police, Byrd was shot in the neck. Paramedics rushed him to an area hospital in critical condition but he died upon arriving, Joyner said.

Joyner said a preliminary investigation indicated Byrd entered the convenience store at 9:47 p.m., flashed a handgun and demanded cash. Instead of following Byrd's orders, the attendant on duty, whose named was not released because of the ongoing investigation, produced his own handgun and shot at Byrd several times, The Journal (Ind.) Gazette reported.

Joyner said it was the first serious incident he could recall involving the Sunoco station. However, there have been other cases of botched armed-robbery attempts in the area that resulted in suspects being shot at, although never fatally.

In March 1998, a store clerk at Wildwood Liquors grabbed a 9-mm handgun from behind the counter during a holdup by two men. Gunfire was exchanged between one of the men and the clerk, who was shot in the hand and leg. The man, 28-year-old Michael Williams, was eventually convicted on attempted murder and attempted robbery charges.

And in November 1996, Nicholas Budowski, 23, was shot five times by two of the three employees inside the same liquor store after a botched holdup. He pleaded guilty to a charge of attempted robbery and was sentenced to 20 years.

Maybe we need a stcky post so we can keep track of these. I like reading about encounters of bad guy meets armed citizen.

Engine03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Indy
    Its always good to here stories with a good ending
    smith and wesson .38 - 400.00
    box of 20 .38 +p - 34.99
    not paying for a trial and rehab- priceless

Top Bottom