• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    What is the temp inside your house if you have lines freezing inside your house?
    Thermo says 70....but that master is about the coldest area of the house, and that corner where this toilet is feels to be about the coldest spot in the house. A noticeable difference, but I not enough to freeze IMO. It was definitely colder on the other side of that wall, or so I noticed after I knocked the small hole in it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It's PEX. My suggestion, like others have said, run that hair dryer. Stick it in the hole you made. Since you made a hole that needs repaired, go ahead and make it a little bigger to get the heat in there. When you can, get some pipe insulation and wrap it after it's thawed.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    First or second year mom (2000-ish) was in her house she had her kitchen pipe freeze; it sat on an outside wall. She had a pump installed that circulates hot water through the pipes all the time. It just gets turned on in winter and is bypassed during the rest of the year. She hasn't had a problem since. May be something to look in to now that you know you have a potential for problems. Plus side is she has hot water at her faucets almost immediately.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    It's PEX. My suggestion, like others have said, run that hair dryer. Stick it in the hole you made. Since you made a hole that needs repaired, go ahead and make it a little bigger to get the heat in there. When you can, get some pipe insulation and wrap it after it's thawed.

Pipe isn't in the wall though is it?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    First or second year mom (2000-ish) was in her house she had her kitchen pipe freeze; it sat on an outside wall. She had a pump installed that circulates hot water through the pipes all the time. It just gets turned on in winter and is bypassed during the rest of the year. She hasn't had a problem since. May be something to look in to now that you know you have a potential for problems. Plus side is she has hot water at her faucets almost immediately.
    For water to flow through a continuous system like that, wouldn't you have to add/change a lot of piping to create a loop...or am I missing something?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You need to make a removable panel by the line so it can be removed. Take it out in cold weather like we are having and the heat from the house will keep it from freezing.
    Also look for any way cold air may be getting into the wall. Be surprised how often this is the culprit.

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    ONCE THE WATER IS RUNNING AGAIN. TAKE THE LID OFF OF THE TANK, LIFT THE RUBBER BALL AND CLIP A CLOTHES PIN ON IT SO THE WATER WILL RUN IN THE TOILET JUST A LITTLE. WHEN IT WARMS BACK UP ON WED. TAKE THE CLOTHES PIN OFF. i HAVE DONE THIS. IT TAKES A LITTLE WORK TO GET IT CLIPPED IN JUST THE RIGHT SPOT.

Sorry about the caps . not a good typer.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    For water to flow through a continuous system like that, wouldn't you have to add/change a lot of piping to create a loop...or am I missing something?

She has a couple extra pipes and valves in her garage... I don't know the specifics of her setup. This video sorta shows how one is installed, but I know hers isn't right at the water heater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCe_eg7PexE

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You need to make a removable panel by the line so it can be removed. Take it out in cold weather like we are having and the heat from the house will keep it from freezing.
    Also look for any way cold air may be getting into the wall. Be surprised how often this is the culprit.

Yeah, I peeked in as far as I could see and all I could see was insulation. There could be areas without it that I couldn't see, but I was thinking of getting one of those small HVAC vents to put in there.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Correct, insulation alone will not prevent freezing. You need a source of heat or warm air movement.
    I perfer heat tape in your situation. The product I use has a thermostat included that energizes at 42*.

Jason91887

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Our well pump froze today, even with all the water running, so I feel ya. :( Guess I will have to get out and get some better insulation in the well box once it warms up. Right now i have a space heater going inside the well box to keep it running.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Our well pump froze today, even with all the water running, so I feel ya. :( Guess I will have to get out and get some better insulation in the well box once it warms up. Right now i have a space heater going inside the well box to keep it running.

Same happened to me, but we caught it just as it happened. We'd been doing laundry and all kinds of stuff just fine, then boom no water. I opened the valve leading out of the well pump (40' underground) into the pressure tank and opened all the house faucets. Turned up the boiler to kick on and cycled my softener all to get water moving anywhere I could. after about 10 minutes it started to trickle in every where and now I have the closest faucet and the farthest both cracked. Seems to have worked for now. If it freezes solid, I'm in trouble. My pump is buried, I can't heat it!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In place of a hair dryer, a halogen work light will do. But dont enclose the area, such as closing cabinet doors, or it'll get too hot.

Smaller bulbs, 40, 60 100, can be used to prevent freezing.

If you have a line that freezes, get heat trace from hardware store. Follow directions. Wrap insulation around heat trace.

Top Bottom