Friend wants to buy a Tazer - how to convince him to get a gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I have a good friend who is talking about getting a taser for home defense. Before you laugh, this guy knows I have guns and has come a long way into agreeing with me that every real man should have the means to defend the family, and take it seriously.

Any ideas on how I can talk him into ditching the taser idea and going for the real deal, like a good shotty?

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Well you could let him know that the Tasar does a good job of "TEMPORARILY" stopping the bad guy, but they recover quickly once the shock is over. So they are good for LEO to give them time to get the BG handcuffed, or would give you time to get away, but if he was defending his family in his home its not really going to be effective. It would still leave him and his family open to being assaulted or killed, where as a Shotgun pretty much guarantees that isn't going to happen with the proper rounds.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I looked up the price for some of these Tasers and you could buy a shotgun or pistol for the same price. I'd just point out the basic economics of it for him. Add in the fact that a gun will do a lot better job, too. Especially where multiple assailants are concerned.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It sounds like your buddy is worried about doing anything "final". Looking at tasers is just his way of dipping his toe in the waters of self-defense without mentally jumping into the "I'm prepared to take a human life" mindset.

I'd work on his mindset, and let the rest follow.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    It sounds like your buddy is worried about doing anything "final". Looking at tasers is just his way of dipping his toe in the waters of self-defense without mentally jumping into the "I'm prepared to take a human life" mindset.

I'd work on his mindset, and let the rest follow.

+1

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Well, for an average tazer, you have to basicly get hands on with the perp and risk him over takeing you (now your family is open for attack).

If you want one that shoots they start at $350 which you could buy a nice SD gun for, and what happens if you miss??

Lets say this guy is all jacked up on who knows what,,,, are you sure that tazer is going to get the job done? you only have one shot at this you know, you **** this up and your whole family pays for it. Would you rather live with that?

how about the batteries were low, those were new batteries too.... mabey they were defective??

how proven are the prong shooting ones?? at $50 a pop are you going to shoot it enouph to feel confident in the tazer?
    BLA BLA BLA:D
    :rolleyes:This ends with me walking away mumbleing to myself
    I'd just stick with my pocket knife over a tazer I think.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Is your friend that kind that could kill someone, or does he have sincere doubts about his ability to do so? Some folks just can't face the prospect of killing another human, no matter the circumstance. If he's unsure about his willingness to kill, perhaps the taser is the best choice for him.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...what happens if you miss??

you only have one shot at this you know, you **** this up and your whole family pays for it. Would you rather live with that?

:rolleyes:This ends with me walking away mumbleing to myself
    I'd just stick with my pocket knife over a tazer I think.

What happens if you miss? Only one shot, and if either prong misses or gets yanked out, you're screwed.

If the guy is scared of hurting someone, the taser is better than nothing; He won't be able to use a knife if he can't mentally get himself to where he can use a gun.

I'm with Evan: Work on mindset.

Blessings,
    Bill

PS: Good for both of you: He for listening and learning, you for patiently teaching. :thumbsup:

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    Seems like quite a few people are dying from being tazed by the police. Might as well kill 'em on purpose. I know I would feel bad if I killed someone on accident...

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    If giving him common sense reasons why to buy a gun over a taser to protect his family doesnt work...Get another friend or two, break into his home at night wearing masks. One of you might have to take a shot from a taser so be ready for that, and don't bring anyone with a heart condition. Terrorize his family for a bit, tie them up and talk about burning the house down, or something like that, with them tied up inside of it. Then just when they are making their piece with God you and your buddies take off your masks and have a big laugh with your friend and his family. He should want to go to the gun shop in the morning.:biggun::welcome:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Is your friend that kind that could kill someone, or does he have sincere doubts about his ability to do so? Some folks just can't face the prospect of killing another human, no matter the circumstance. If he's unsure about his willingness to kill, perhaps the taser is the best choice for him.
    This is absolutely correct. If you somehow convince your friend to carry, but he still hasn't settled the issue of taking another life, have you actually made him safer? One might argue you've made him less safe.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    If giving him common sense reasons why to buy a gun over a taser to protect his family doesnt work...Get another friend or two, break into his home at night wearing masks. One of you might have to take a shot from a taser so be ready for that, and don't bring anyone with a heart condition. Terrorize his family for a bit, tie them up and talk about burning the house down, or something like that, with them tied up inside of it. Then just when they are making their piece with God you and your buddies take off your masks and have a big laugh with your friend and his family. He should want to go to the gun shop in the morning.:biggun::welcome:
    This is funny, in a sick kind of way, I like it. :yesway::)::yesway:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Last weekend I was at Bradis with wife and my parents. I was looking at magazines for a beretta 92fs, maybe a b-day present for my dad. Anyway, my mom was asking the older woman at the register about tasers, they don't have them there. She told my mom that they are really a waste of money. Whenever you're in a situation where you need to defend yourself, adrenaline rushes in, and its hard to think clearly, you just react. So when you draw your gun on the BG, 9 out of 10 times you shoot the BG in the chest. 'Cause its a bigger, wider target than the head. Now, in this situation, the BG will be wearing clothes, hopefully not naked. If you had a taser, it won't go thru his clothing, and you just blew your one and only shot. Needless to say, spend your money on a gun or a knife. I thought she was a smart one.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Last weekend I was at Bradis with wife and my parents. I was looking at magazines for a beretta 92fs, maybe a b-day present for my dad. Anyway, my mom was asking the older woman at the register about tasers, they don't have them there. She told my mom that they are really a waste of money. Whenever you're in a situation where you need to defend yourself, adrenaline rushes in, and its hard to think clearly, you just react. So when you draw your gun on the BG, 9 out of 10 times you shoot the BG in the chest. 'Cause its a bigger, wider target than the head. Now, in this situation, the BG will be wearing clothes, hopefully not naked. If you had a taser, it won't go thru his clothing, and you just blew your one and only shot. Needless to say, spend your money on a gun or a knife. I thought she was a smart one.
    Maybe until she told your mom to buy a knife. Using a knife against a bigger/stronger attacker is got to be one of the most dangerous things an untrained person could possibly do. At least a taser gives you a chance to temporarily eliminate a threat and give you a chance to get away. A knife requires direct contact with the attacker --> never a good idea if one can avoid it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    True, but at least with a knife you can keep stabbing. Even do a little twisting while your at it. With the taser you only have one shot. What happens if the taser doesn't take him out and you have nothing else to defend yourself? I think the taser would be more of a risk.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    A tazer is part of the continuum of force, an intermediate choice between open hands and lethal force. If the intruder brings lethal force, then your tazer armed friend is now one step below the guy who "brings a knife to a gun fight". To me the role of a tazer is something that you buy after you have the gun you want. I have a ballbat and some pepper spray for intermediate force along with my guns as choices for home defense.

Last edited:

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    go to youtube and check out how ineffective tasers really are. I know there are different levels, and you get what you pay for, but...

Seems to me, every video ends with all partys laughing hysterically. That's not my idea of a home invasion. Just saying...

Top Bottom