• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Went night fishing over the weekend a while back on the Illinois river. Had some nice cut bait and smelly liver, hoping to catch some big fat cats. We settled into a couple nice calm areas that were nice and deep. All we could catch was gar! The stupid things wouldnt quit biting! Are gar food for anything besides being ugly?? They aren't good eating and they almost always swallow the hook. Stupid gar ruined a perfectly good trip

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I've never tried eating one. I've seen youtube videos of people showing the difficult process of cleaning them, they report they are worth eating.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have friends that grind them up and make gar balls and say they are good. I hope to shoot some when we go out in the boat to go bowfishing

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Never toss them back. Always kill them. We had a real issue with them at the lake I used to live on. Never tried to eat one.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im cool with gar they eat small carp so I dont go out with the intention of slaughtering them now carp on the other hand thats a different story

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    They also eat every other kind of fish. They are really destructive on a small lake. We had DNR signs around our lake saying to not toss them back. Although a tree hugger would take issue with that these days :-/

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Yea I guess that would be a problem in places that aren't over run with carp. Even though I kinda like em i still want to shoot a gar something about going after something that can fight back.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Put them in your garden or flower beds...great fertilizer and it's time released as they decompose. Same goes for carp, just bury them and watch your stuff grow naturally!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Whatever you do, don't put a gar in a landing net if you can avoid it. I got one with his snout all rolled around in the net one time, and between that and the hook I had to break off half his beak just to avoid cutting the net loose. Had him out of the water ~10 minutes while unraveling the mess, and I swear when I tossed him back, the sumbich left a trail of bubbles swimming away, with half his mouth gone.

Neat-looking fish but tough SOBs. Now I know why the saltwater guys have this thing called a "gaff"...

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I remember as a teenager, my Dad use to take his .22 rifle with us on occasions when we would go down to the White River near Seymour to fish. The first time I asked him why, he said for gar. Sure enough, every time he saw one on the surface, he would pop it or let me take a shot at it. In retrospect, probably not legal, nor safe, but it sure was fun!

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    +1 to gar balls.

I've not yet met a "trash fish" that wasn't fine eating with the proper preparation. Now that I know what to do, I'm sad when I catch a bass instead of a chub or a cisco.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    When you were swimming, did they do the leg nibble thing like bluegill? I imagine that would add a few knots to one's swim speed...

I only seen people get bit by trying to take a hook off. We used to find a lot of chewed up fish washed up on shore. They see to kill just to kill. We carried a hatchet and a block of wood to kill them on.

Top Bottom