• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hmod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Indy
    A buddy and I went gun shopping the other day for a 91/30. We came across a hex receiver dated 1934 in pretty good condition. All numbers match bayonet, floor plate, butt plate, bolt, and receiver. Also after disassembly for cleaning we found that all and i do mean ALL pieces with a stamp had matching stamps from the factory. At the range it performed beautifully . Is this a good find? I plan on bedding the stock and free floating the barrel and doing some trigger work to try to improve accuracy for hunting ang target shooting. Also should I add a scout style scope mount or do it the hard way and have a gunsmith drill the receiver for an original PU scope? Or should I keep it the way it is and find an ugly but good shooter to modify? Any advice will be great.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would also leave it as is, but if you really want to put a scope on it, I would go with the scout scope mount so that it could be put back to the original configuration easily. Sounds like a nice find! :yesway:

Hmod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Indy
    Scout scope mount sounds good. Since its that good I guess I can leave it stock for the most part. I would like to keep the scope as low as possible and I have seen some that would replace the rear sight with a rail by using the leaf spring and replacing the pin with a bolt. That seems unstable and I would prefer a more solid mount. Also I did see a see through style mount that uses two bolts to replace the two pins keeping the rear sight base in place. Also seen people pulling off the rear sight base completly and directly mounting rings to the barrel which wont work for me as the rear sight base is not going anywhere without heat so that's out. Any opinions about a scout scope mount? Thanks for the replies!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would not molest it. Leave it alone. Go buy a nice bolt gun that has a decent trigger, and is ready for a scope. Please do not destroy a piece of history.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Scout scope mount sounds good. Since its that good I guess I can leave it stock for the most part. I would like to keep the scope as low as possible and I have seen some that would replace the rear sight with a rail by using the leaf spring and replacing the pin with a bolt. That seems unstable and I would prefer a more solid mount. Also I did see a see through style mount that uses two bolts to replace the two pins keeping the rear sight base in place. Also seen people pulling off the rear sight base completly and directly mounting rings to the barrel which wont work for me as the rear sight base is not going anywhere without heat so that's out. Any opinions about a scout scope mount? Thanks for the replies!

I got mine from these guys...

S & K Scope Mounts Home Page - rifle scope, scope mounts, Insta-Mount, SKulptured Mounts

It's very solid. I used them both on a Mosin and on a Mauser.

IMG_2028_zpsd1079f65.jpg

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend

Is your rear sight pinned, or soldered, or both pinned and soldered to the barrel. If it is a 91/30 without pins and your arsenal marking on all the parts match the barrel arsenal, then your rifle has probably not been refurbished by the Soviets and you should definitely stop, leave it alone and find out more about it. Could be a Finn capture and worth 2-3 time the normal. Stop plans of modification until you know for sure. Is there an SA stamped anywhere on the barrel in front of the receiver. Does the stock or sling slots look a bit different from most? Give us some good closeup photos of the barrel markings, butt plate S/N, magazine S/N, Bolt S/N, bolt S/N surface profile, the stock, and side view of the rear sight. Also is the inside of the receiver where the bolt slides in the white, or is it blued? If it's just another Soviet Refurb then it's one of MANY and you can do what you will with it - it's only worth about $10-20 more being a hex receiver. But if it's not just another Soviet Refurb you will be glad that you did not modify it as it is probably worth a lot more than you paid for it and it is also sure to apreciate in value quickly. If it is a valuable Mosin and in Indiana, I'm surprised Miller didn't get to it first! :):

Lower-end specialty Mosins (meaning anything less than $600 that is not a common refurb) are pretty hot right now with budding milsurp collectors. I think the trend will continue. These include ALL models of Finnish made Mosins, ALL Finnish Capture Mosins, SCW Mosins, Polish Mosins, M91/38s (a Soviet cut down M91), M91/59s (a Soviet cut down 91/30), etc. See some crazy prices on Gunbroker for these if the ad is done right!

Last edited:

Hmod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Indy
    i found it at Bradis and paid $250. there is solder and pins to the rear sight. Bolt slides are in blue. there is no SA stamp (i wish there was). the barrel was counter-bored. if i do anything it will be used for hunting and have no intent on selling it. i don't wish to make it something it wasn't intended to be.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would not molest it. Leave it alone. Go buy a nice bolt gun that has a decent trigger, and is ready for a scope. Please do not destroy a piece of history.
    :+1: or do what they other guys said, use a different 91/30 to do you modifications to.

Top Bottom