• indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    MY NEW FORSTER CO-AX PRESS

I’ve been reloading for several years. I get just as excited about reloading equipment as I do actually making ammo. Since this will be a review of a single stage press, here is a list of the non-progressive presses I have owned: Lee single stage, Lee Turret, Lyman single stage, Lyman turret, RCBS Jr, RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme, Hornady LNL, and even a Ponsness Warren.

I’ve seen these Forster presses in catalogs for years, but I’ve never seen one in person, and I don’t know anyone who has ever used one. What I had read on Forster’s website led me to believe that the Co-Ax was a cut above the rest and had several interesting features, including:

· Snap in, snap out die changing
    · Three times the leverage of ordinary “C” presses
    · No shell holders required!
    · Dual floating guide rods for perfect alignment
    · Excellent spent primer catcher system
    · The press delivers perfect alignment of the die and the case because the shell holder jaws are designed to float with the die, thereby permitting the case to center precisely in the die

Sounds good, right? Well I couldn’t help myself any longer… I called Andrew at Profire (www.profiresupply.com) and had him order me one. Two days later I picked it up at his house, took it home, put the “do not disturb” sign on the basement door, and tore it open like a kid on Christmas morning. :rockwoot:

As with any single stage press, it was almost ready to go right out of the box. All I had to do was mount it on my bench with 4 screws, attach the handle, and attach the spent primer catcher. Easy.

picture.php

So I dragged out a bucket of 223 to resize.

First I had to insert a die.

(slightly off topic note) Let me say that I’ve always wondered why press manufacturers make such a big deal about how fast it is to change dies. On my beloved Rock Chucker it takes what, maybe 30 seconds to unscrew one die and screw in a new one? Therefore, as much as I love Hornady’s products, I never understood the Lock ‘N Load system. Seemed like a solution to a problem that didn’t exist. Anyway, back to the story…

To insert a die in the Co-Ax, you simply push it in from the front of the press and it snaps in. Simple. (Yes, even simpler than a Hornady LNL). It is important to note that you need to use a Forster brand die lock ring. These are the nicest die lock rings I know of for three reasons:

· They are taller, so they grip more of the die than other brands of lock rings
    · You are not screwing anything directly into the die threads
    · They are adjustable with a Phillips screwdriver (no allen wrenches)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

So my die is in and set up.

Next, I placed a 223 on the plate between the automatic jaws (yes, the pics show a .45). Within the first inch of arm travel, the automatic jaws grabbed the case very securely and perfectly centered it. When the case entered the die I was AMAZED at how little force it took. I could easily pull the handle all the way down with just my pinky finger. This press actually has better leverage than my beloved Rock Chucker. – In fact, I cut 2” off the handle because I don’t need that much leverage and enjoy a shorter throw.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

When the spent primer was removed I heard a “tink” as it fell through the ram, through a short tube, and into the spent primer catcher jar. The fact that it falls straight through the rams is similar to a Lee Classic Cast Press. This primer catcher system is far superior to that on my beloved Rock Chucker, even using the trick (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/155107-rock_chucker_trick.html). After thousands of rounds loaded I can say that this primer catcher system keeps the whole press (and floor) cleaner than any other press I’ve ever used.

picture.php

The handle itself travels straight down in front of the press. This takes some getting used to if you are used to using a conventional single stage press. I got used to it pretty quickly because it reminded me a lot of using MEC shotgun reloading presses… which I like.

SOME INTERESTING THINGS TO NOTE:
    · This press costs about twice what an RCBS Rock Chucker costs.
    · The leverage REALLY is amazing.
    · Not having to use shell holders is nice, but doesn’t actually save you any money because…
    · The required Forster brand lock rings are the nicest I have ever used, but they cost about $3.50 each.

In summary, I really like this press. It just might be the BMW of reloading presses. Is it worth the price of two Rock Chuckers? It is for me because it is so effin’ cool, and I’m sure it is for precision rifle shooters because of the ease of use and the perfect alignment of components. As the instruction manual says “It should be mechanically impossible to assemble a poor cartridge.”

(note: I did not mention the primer system on this press because I just don't use primer systems on single stage presses.)

:rockwoot::ingo::ingo::ingo::ingo::ingo::rockwoot:

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im with you, i went from a lee classic to a coax about a year or so ago. the diffrence is amazing. i dont see why i would even need to upgrade again. mine was 240 i think, but when you take into effect that it will last a lifetime that works out to a few dollars a year

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Man, that's a cool press. Thanks for the review, I want to see it in action sometime.

Did you find a replacement handle like we were talking about?

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I use a coax for all my precision loads and I will never use another single stage again. I too went from a rock chucker to the coax and could not believe the difference.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Man, that's a cool press. Thanks for the review, I want to see it in action sometime.

Did you find a replacement handle like we were talking about?

Yeah, it's awesome. Come over and check it out... but be ready, 'cause you'll have to have one.

I have not bought a replacement handle yet, I just cut a few inches off the one that came with the press. I think I'll have you order me one of the shorter handles with the ball on top pretty soon!

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    When you set up the dies, be sure that there is a case or round in the die before you tighten the lock rings.
    With this press, you will probably learn very quickly why so many people like fast die swaps. I thought the same when I got my Hornady L-N-L AP. About 15 minutes into setting it up, I ordered 30 bushings.
    The "universal shell holder" is also a great feature. The only problem I have is not lifting the case straight up and having it catch on the shell plate lip and I end up dropping the case.
    I have a very old model (no idea what changes they have made in the last 30 years). When I switch the shell plates over to the smaller size (or vice versa), I have to be very careful not to lose a spring. Being mechanically challenged, I don't make the change over unless really required.
    With the universal shall plate, you can deprime all your cases when you come back from the range and sort and inspect at the same time.
    Also, I keep my spent primer bottle fairly empty so I hear the primer hit. Occasionally, a primer will wedge itself in the tube (generally because the cup and anvil have separated) and you want to know thise ASAP.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Thanks for the review! Well done.

I've been working with a Rockchucker for a year now and have loaded over 5000 rounds. In the beginning, I assumed that a progressive press was the next logical step. Now I'm wondering if the next step is a co-ax press for the added precision.

After you've used your press for a few months, please consider a follow-up review of your impressions of the system after loading 1000 rounds or so.

Last edited:

knifenix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Noblesville
    I use two, one set up for small rifle and the other for large rifle. I really like the set up! I use this press for all my precision loads. Proper alighnment of bullet seating is a plus with this loader. I might add that the primer seater is a plus, stop keeps you from seating primers to deep and crushing cup. The only drawback I have found is a really large rifle die(375 H&H) will not clear the handle yoke.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Thanks for the review! Well done.

I've been working with a Rockchucker for a year now and have loaded over 5000 rounds. In the beginning, I assumed that a progressive press was the next logical step. Now I'm wondering if the next step is a co-ax press for the added precision.

After you've used your press for a few months, please consider a follow-up review of your impressions of the system after loading 1000 rounds or so.
    This
    Thanks for the review! I have been considering the Forster and your review has been invaluable.
    & This

I have considered one for a while now as well. I would really like some first-hand impressions.

Does the longer handle throw cause any more fatigue in long loading sessions? There used to be times I could load for several hours at a time. If I ever get back to that point I don't want to have to worry about fatigue. Reaching up with the handle high like that seems like it would cause more fatigue...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i wanted to post in your classified add, but i have the same press and absolutly love it. and they are almost impossible to find instock. i had a 2 month wait to get mine

Top Bottom