• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swbster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I am interested in forming my own bullets(9mm, 44 etc) and maybe even some shotgun shot but would like to avoid lead. Surely there is something else that can be used(maybe gold?:):). I should add that it would be nice if it were economical. Maybe an epoxy of sorts that you add a fine powder of ground up metal of some sort. Crazy?:dunno:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yeah, pretty much crazy. It'd be much easier to carve wood bullets.

Well, maybe not, but you aren't going to come close to the weight of a lead bullet. When you drop a lot of bullet weight; so far in fact that you're out of the normal range of bullet weights for that round, you're not just dealing with the fact that you have minimal range and your energy will fall off very fast, but you're also dealing with the fact that there will be NO available load information for loading them safely.

Why are you trying to avoid using lead? There is a reason its been used for bullets for hundreds of years. It is the most economical option there is. Every single aspect of it is ideal.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I have done some research into casting zinc bullets, but everything that I wave read says that their accuracy is inferior to that of lead. I am looking into things like babbit and wheel weight alloy.

rubicon_joey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Shot gun shot is fairly available in steel, but wouldn't know how to make it from home. There are some alloys out there for shot, but mainly used as water fowl shot..IE Remingtons Hevi-shot...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Non lead bullets could be cast from lead free solder as this is mostly tin. they would be lighter than the advertised weight and fairly expensive. Turning bullets from solid copper rod has been done but may be considered armour piercing and subject to regulation. Expensive solutions either way.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Pure copper is probably OK.

"(B) The term 'armor piercing ammunition' means-

(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and
    which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other
    substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass,
    bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and
    intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25
    percent of the total weight of the projectile.

(C) The term 'armor piercing ammunition' does not include shotgun shot
    required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting
    purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile
    which the Secretary finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting
    purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Secretary
    finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge
    used in an oil and gas well perforating device."

And unless I'm mistaken, it's legal to buy and own AP ammo, just not legal to manufacture it. And the ATF has sepcifically ruled that SS109/M885 is not AP (lead core, steel tip).

Also,

Pistol « Barnes Bullets

Why make bullets when you can buy them. Especially when you're walking the line.

Bob Morrison, now Chief Operating Officer of Taurus International Manufacturing, has a long history in the firearms industry. He had been particularly impressed with the hunting performance of the Barnes X-bullet when he was a manufacturer's representative for Barnes. He wondered if something similar might not be a good handgun bullet.
    But before this could be done, there was a substantial hurdle to clear. The Gun Control Act of 1968 has serious prohibitions against "armor piercing" bullets. More commonly, these were referred to as "cop killer bullets" that purportedly defeated body armor worn by law enforcement officers. The major feature of the bill was that bullets without lead cores were generally prohibited.
    Over a period of time, Barnes made some samples and Morrison submitted them to ATF for consideration. Two points were vital: construction had to be pure (99.95%), and therefore relatively soft copper; and quite obviously they could not penetrate standard body armor.
    Morrison reported in due time ATF notified Taurus that, "the submitted samples are not armor piercing," effectively removing the legal cloud of GCA 68.
    But we must be aware that some states follow the wording of Federal statutes when writing their own codes. So it's only prudent to check for legal pitfalls in state law.

source: Hex Bullet Hi-Jinx: Taurus' capable copper bullet | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I have done some research into casting zinc bullets, but everything that I wave read says that their accuracy is inferior to that of lead. I am looking into things like babbit and wheel weight alloy.

Wheel weights work very well, or use 9 Lbs of wheel weights and 1 Lb. of 50/50 solder to almost duplicate the Lyman #2 Alloy :draw: Makes for cheep shooting after the initial investment of casting equipment.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I cast almost straight wheel weights to make all my bullets. Every once in awhile I may throw in a bit of solder. If you keep you handgun velocities under 1000 FPS, and use a good bullet lube, there is very little lead buildup. I cast everything from .32 ACP up to .45 Colt.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Silver ,then you also have a werewolf defense round(everyone worries about zombies but them werewolves are scary to) I use wheelweight alloy for all my bullets & use a liquid alox to coat them & then size them & I have very little leading in my guns

Top Bottom