• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    My understanding is if you get denied you are locked out until it is investigated after contacting the ATF. I have had only one person that I recall who was denied in probably close to a 100 checks I've ran.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    My problem is delays. Never arrested in my life.. and have a lifetime premit. Delay everytime. Anyone know why that could happen? LGS said its common. I would love to walk in and walk out same day. That would be fantastic

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My problem is delays. Never arrested in my life.. and have a lifetime premit. Delay everytime. Anyone know why that could happen? LGS said its common. I would love to walk in and walk out same day. That would be fantastic
    Usually its a felon with the same name, etc.

Reactions: Leo

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have to include my optional SSN otherwise I might get delayed or at least moved to the secondary review which can be an hour or so.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have to include my optional SSN otherwise I might get delayed or at least moved to the secondary review which can be an hour or so.
    I have a coworker that always gets delayed. He even has a UIN.
    He called to ask why he gets delayed with the UIN and he was told, with his popular name, to get used to it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a coworker that always gets delayed. He even has a UIN.
    He called to ask why he gets delayed with the UIN and he was told, with his popular name, to get used to it.
    I had looked into the UIN and had read the same things, it does not eliminate being delayed, in spite of what a lot of “experts” will tell you.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Are you ??? male, female or NON-BINARY???? what's this country coming to???
    I can respect feeling you were born in the wrong body. OK. But to claim "none of the above"? THAT is sick.

Pick a team, folks. Whether the one you were born into, or the one you THINK you should have been born into. Just pick a side.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Need a little more info than what you posted. Did you get a denial from the FBI after they ran your check or did the seller refuse to complete the sale after reviewing your form?

If they ran the check and you got denied then you'll have to deal with the ATF on getting it cleared up. If it was the dealer then no info was transmitted to the NICS system.

The only info that is used from the form when running a background check is some of your personal info and the info off you photo ID. Nothing from the yes/no questions are entered when running a background check. The yes/no questions are used to charge you with a Federal felony, (perjury for lying on the form) if your a prohibited person trying to obtain a firearm. That part only comes into play if you lied on the form, the dealer submitted the background check and you got denied. Not that the ATF pursues or even investigates the majority on those cases with any regularity.

Dealers are required to review the yes/no questions and stop the sale if any are answered incorrectly before submitting a background check. So if it was an honest mistake on one of the yes/no questions and the dealer DID NOT submit a back ground check then you should be good.

Most delays I've seen are usually with a person that has a very common name. Nothing you can do about that. A UPIN helps but most of the time you will still get a delay. Where the UPIN seems to help is that delay is for a day or 2 instead of being longer or even going the 30 days before it times out of the NICS system and you can try again. So a UPIN helps but it doesn't guarantee you'll walk out that day with your firearm.

EDIT:
    I should add that if you went to a big box store where you fill out the 4473 electronically then you may have to deal with their firearm compliance person to get it cleared up. Most the big box stores who use an electronic system will blacklist you if you answered any of the yes/no questions incorrectly and you will be flagged by the store, not NICS, as a person who can not a buy a firearm. An example is if you went to a Rural King, filled out the 4473 incorrectly, (they do give you a chance to review your answers) you will get flagged and will not be able to buy a firearm at any Rural King until you get it cleared up. You can still go to another dealer just not a Rural King.

Last edited:

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I’m fortunate that I have a very unusual name. Was in my LGS 2 weekends ago… saw “my precious” hanging on the wall… played a a little game of “oily finger” with it… said “I do” and was back on the road with my new stick in 15~20 minutes.
    Hopefully I didn’t just jinx myself. :scratch:

Nightboard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    New Castle
    I pored over that form, reading and re-reading very carefully. Checking a box, and then re-reading it.

Still got a 5 day hold on my pistol. I've NEVER gotten a hold put on a firearm before. Lady in the gunshop said, "Ohh, we've been getting this a lot lately."

Hmm.... I wonder why....

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I had looked into the UIN and had read the same things, it does not eliminate being delayed, in spite of what a lot of “experts” will tell you.
    What's the purpose of the UPIN then? Seems like UPIN should be a name bypass, since by definition it is unique.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What's the purpose of the UPIN then? Seems like UPIN should be a name bypass, since by definition it is unique.

I have no idea.
    I thought exactly that. If you have a UIN, you shouldn't be delayed.
    And yes, he called and asked.. I witnessed him calling.
    He was not very happy when he hung up.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I had a guy steal my ID, went to prison with my name, i didn't know for 2 years....went to renew my license, was told I had a felony, and couldn't renew....found out that Ernest D McCool had broken into my car stole my grandpa's .22 hog rifle, and my checks (yes I had my SSN on them, it was the 90's) long story short...I know too late....tried to buy a rifle, got denied, filed for a UPIN, have only been delayed once in 20 years. Get a UPIN, use it, and you're good to go...

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Any one have insight into NFA vs 4473? I was arrested twice as a juvenile, no convictions, I've passed printing checks a number if times for various jobs and provide my SSN on 4473s no problems. Any reason to think nfa forms would be an issue?

Top Bottom