• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    In what sense is he wrong? We have an undeniable connection with Spanish America...I mean that's why we're here having this discussion.

It's my opinion that he is wrong in that regard....

I have an undeniable connection with Spanish America because I married an Argentine of Spanish/Italian ancestory...Most people are not married into it because most Latinos tend to be a bit selective (that sounds better than bigoted) and, Marty Robbin songs notwithstanding, they generally will not marry outside of their culture...

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Now we are supposed to compromise with more law breakers :dunno:

You're putting words in my mouth. :dunno:

I didn't say anything about compromising with them. I was speaking solely to the fact that Thomas Jefferson predicted a future connection to Spanish America, and thus learning Spanish could be beneficial for future Americans.

Not to mention the millions who came here legally...

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    It's my opinion that he is wrong in that regard....

I have an undeniable connection with Spanish America because I married an Argentine of Spanish/Italian ancestory...Most people are not married into it because most Latinos tend to be a bit selective (that sounds better than bigoted) and, Marty Robbin songs notwithstanding, they generally will not marry outside of their culture...

They are here, and they are living among us...is that not a connection? It must be, because we are discussing it here. If there were no connection, no one would be upset about Spanish influence because no one would even notice it.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My great grandparents when they came from over in Europe they learned to speak English. They may of spoke their native tongue at home for a while, but they assimilated to this country just like everyone else should.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    The _difference_ Lex, is that emigrants to this country traditionally integrated themselves into our society, if not in the first generation, then in second and subsequent generations. A prerequisite for integrating into American society was learning to speak the English language. Today, we have second and third generation Mexicans who still don't speak English and demand that the community accommodate them.

We, as a nation, may be "language-challenged" individually; that's more a function of the size of our nation, the pre-eminence of our economy and culture since WWII, and the fact that, except in relatively localized parts of the country, English has been the primary language spoken.

If you move to France, Germany, Italy, South Korea, Thailand, anywhere in Africa, you may find someone who understands English, but if you want to assimilate into their society, you had damned well better learn to speak their language. Many people coming to the US nowadays seem to feel - and are encouraged by certain parties - that the rest of us should accommodate them in their language. And they used to call us "Ugly Americans" because we had that attitude in their countries.

While it outrages me that new IFD firefighters must learn Spanish well enough to pass a test before they can complete recruit school, I can't help but wonder how long it will be before they have to start learning Thai, or Malay, or Korean, or Hindi, or Urdu as a condition of employment, just to make things "fair." We seem to be trending in that direction.

I don't think we're in disagreement.

My point is that the current immigrant behavior is due to the character of people this country attracts these days; that type of person is attracted by the redistributive economic policies of our government.

If we fix the economic issues, immigration will fix itself, as we will again attract people with desirable character traits. If we don't, we will continue to have an abundance of folks wanting handouts...no matter how high the fence, how intricate the biometric ID, or how great the intrusion into the lives of everyone with the excuse of protecting us from a few.

Again, the nature of immigration is a symptom, and NOT the root problem.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    The Straight Dope: Who invented pizza?

Ah Pizza...Another great American invention...

Did you mean to link to another article, or did you misread it :dunno:

Italian immigrants brought pizza to the United States, in the early 1900s. However, it was the 1950s when pizza caught on outside the Italian-American community, and quickly spread throughout the U.S. and became an international food, now found in every country.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Who cares if immigrants be they Mexican, Chinese, Russians, or French learn to speak English? That is their choice. Why must the taxpayers' pockets be further lightened to accommodate such choices. Their success in interacting with our society is up to their willingness and ability to adapt. If Kellogg's wants to market to Spanish speaking customers, more power to them. The state of Indiana, city of Mitchell, etc. should not be compelled to bear the burden of those peoples' choices.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Who cares if immigrants be they Mexican, Chinese, Russians, or French learn to speak English? That is their choice. Why must the taxpayers' pockets be further lightened to accommodate such choices. Their success in interacting with our society is up to their willingness and ability to adapt. If Kellogg's wants to market to Spanish speaking customers, more power to them. The state of Indiana, city of Mitchell, etc. should not be compelled to bear the burden of multiple of those peoples' choices.
    :rockwoot: & :popcorn:

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    My great grandparents when they came from over in Europe they learned to speak English. They may of spoke their native tongue at home for a while, but they assimilated to this country just like everyone else should.

thats racist today.......

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Who cares if immigrants be they Mexican, Chinese, Russians, or French learn to speak English? That is their choice. Why must the taxpayers' pockets be further lightened to accommodate such choices. Their success in interacting with our society is up to their willingness and ability to adapt. If Kellogg's wants to market to Spanish speaking customers, more power to them. The state of Indiana, city of Mitchell, etc. should not be compelled to bear the burden of those peoples' choices.

hear hear!

but, youre gonna **** off the lefties

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Did you mean to link to another article, or did you misread it :dunno:

My Italian friends say that pizza in the form we know it is not the same as what Italians call pizza...His point was that if you give a Papa Johns to an Italian and say "How about some pizza?" He will choke back bile and say, "That is not pizza." I thought the article confirmed that what we now call pizza is an American invention of the 50's...My mistake...

Top Bottom