• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Every time I have to press 1 for English. Every time I have to go into Walmart and see the cereal boxes in Spanish. Every time I read a story on how English speaking Americans have to learn Spanish to appease those who refuse to learn English.

These are all decisions of private entities to do things to serve the ENTIRE population. Are you suggesting that the government mandate that ONLY English be spoken within this country?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Every time I have to press 1 for English. Every time I have to go into Walmart and see the cereal boxes in Spanish. Every time I read a story on how English speaking Americans have to learn Spanish to appease those who refuse to learn English.

Do you also get angry when you see that your TV manual is translated in a dozen of languages instead of being only in English? :dunno:

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Do you not see a problem when a country the size of ours and as densely populated as ours doesn't have a common language? Does Babel ring any bells?

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Do you not see a problem when a country the size of ours and as densely populated as ours doesn't have a common language? Does Babel ring any bells?

English is a very common language here... but no, I don't see a problem with a country the size of ours not having an official language. It signifies acceptance.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    When you say how much history, you're still thinking in terms of time.

Spain has been wholly Spanish, which is MUCH more readily definable than American. Spanish has always been spoke there, and the country was not founded as a refuge for people of all walks of life. It's not that I don't understand your point of view and your frustrations, it's just that I think you don't fully appreciate the beauty of what this country stands for.

Spain, like most European countries, has its own regional divisions, as well as dialects of Spanish. Look at any of the EU countries and you will find all sorts of schisms, even where they have an "official" language. Liechtenstein and Monaco might be exceptions, but they're hardly nation-states.

So I am not sure the "X" by consensus applies to many countries. This notion that all other 'old' countries have ironed out the notion of a national language, as opposed to the 'young' US, is fallacious.

For those touting, e.g., Mandarin, you do realize that Mandarin is one Chinese dialect among many, although it has been elevated to national language status (Putonghua) by the PRC government. Travel outside of Beijing, as a Mandarin speaker, and good luck. If America were to cater to all Chinese people living in the US, we would need to acknowledge in addition to Mandarin, also Cantonese, Shanghainese, Sichuanhua, etc. etc. etc.

Do you also get angry when you see that your TV manual is translated in a dozen of languages instead of being only in English? :dunno:

I do, because with a couple of token exceptions, they're all Western European languages. This is regional language-ism. We need to liberate the instructions. I say NO language at all! Just pictures. All power to the illiterate!

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN

No, I don't see a problem. Getting angry about seeing other people speaking other languages is only going to result in you being angry. They aren't going to change.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I see it as a cost savings. Speak whatever language you want. But the government should be as efficient as possible. All work should be done in a single language. My tax dollars shouldn't be spent to train firemen, BMV workers, clerks, administrators to speak or read other languages because you're too lazy to learn the common language spoken in the US. :popcorn:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I see it as a cost savings. Speak whatever language you want. But the government should be as efficient as possible. All work should be done in a single language. My tax dollars shouldn't be spent to train firemen, BMV workers, clerks, administrators to speak or read other languages because you're too lazy to learn the common language spoken in the US. :popcorn:

"Why" are your tax dollars deserving of more consideration OVER another American's tax dollars? Surely you aren't suggesting that speaking a the language more commonly spoken allows you to trump another's access simply because their primary language is something other than English?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    "Why" are your tax dollars deserving of more consideration OVER another American's tax dollars? Surely you aren't suggesting that speaking a the language more commonly spoken allows you to trump another's access simply because their primary language is something other than English?

My tax dollars are more deserving to stay in my wallet, so I can do with them whatever I want. When I have to pay more because we feel like we need to be inclusive or other touchy-feely-do-gooder cause, it reduces my liberties and freedoms. If we can close down white house tours and air shows because we're broke, we can surely expect people that want to do business with our government to do it in one language.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I've got the solution. Go back in time, and have the English rape, pillage, and destroy the people and cultures in the land now known as Mexico, and FORCE them to learn English. Spain was once the strongest nation in the world, and now it is insignificant as far as world power goes. However, one of it's lasting legacies is what it did to the peoples of Mexico, and FORCING them to learn Spanish. I know there are some here who will say they weren't FORCED to learn Spanish, they could have simply died, and I'm sure some did. But, those that lived, had most of their native languages ripped from them and replaced with Spanish.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My tax dollars are more deserving to stay in my wallet, so I can do with them whatever I want. When I have to pay more because we feel like we need to be inclusive or other touchy-feely-do-gooder cause, it reduces my liberties and freedoms. If we can close down white house tours and air shows because we're broke, we can surely expect people that want to do business with our government to do it in one language.

You just divided by zero. ;)

Kut (disagrees, and believes the nation's founding settled this language issue when it wanted to promote immigration, and purposefully decided NOT to institute a national language because it was believed that it would dissuade people from coming here)

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You just divided by zero. ;)

Kut (disagrees, and believes the nation's founding settled this language issue when it wanted to promote immigration, and purposefully decided NOT to institute a national language because it was believed that it would dissuade people from coming here)
    Serious question, did the founders talk about which language should or should not be spoken here?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    And this thread is the exact reason the last two elections were won by the Democrats.

Republicans continue to drive away blacks, Hispanics, gays and anyone else that doesn't fall into their perception of what a "true Republican" should be.

"You're not like me, I don't want you in my little group."

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    No, I don't see a problem. Getting angry about seeing other people speaking other languages is only going to result in you being angry. They aren't going to change.

You have totally missed the boat on this one. I do not mind at all different languages being spoken, 3 are spoken in my house on a regular basis.

What I mind is official govt business being conducted in other than English.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013

This is on point

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    And this thread is the exact reason the last two elections were won by the Democrats.

Republicans continue to drive away blacks, Hispanics, gays and anyone else that doesn't fall into their perception of what a "true Republican" should be.

"You're not like me, I don't want you in my little group."
    You left out the part where the republican party ran a RINO as a republican, just sayin

Top Bottom