For those of you with Apex parts in your M&P...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Ok a stupid question about ordering the parts. I want the DCAEK carry kit and the new trigger but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells both together. Do I have to buy the forward set trigger kit as well?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Ok a stupid question about ordering the parts. I want the DCAEK carry kit and the new trigger but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells both together. Do I have to buy the forward set trigger kit as well?

I would call them and ask. They used to sell stuff seperately when they first released some of the parts. But now it seems they put everything in these kits. :dunno:

mwmroll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I got a duty kit for my 9mm. The rear sight push block is included (to make sure you don't lose the block spring and 'washer' both during disassembly and re-assembly. They included a 'guide pin' to assemble the trigger spring, then when you push the frame pin back through, the pushes the guide pin out the other side. Making it pretty simple.
    This was the first take down of any gun I ever did. Youtube vids are a big help, and make it pretty straight forward.

I did not have a drift, and instead used a punch to drive out the rear sight. It is crowned slightly, and obviously not as good a as a drift, and in turn I 'scuffed' the side of the rear sight slightly (nothing a little flat black touchup paint couldnt hide).

I'm not concerned about my gun being a pristine safe queen. So the scuff and retouch doesn't bother me. I am more concerned with hitting the target.

After the kit was installed, the sear and block drop the poundage a bit. the trigger spring brough it back up slightly higher than the stock trigger. I didn't care for it, so put my stock spring back in, and now have about a 3.5 lb trigger (guesstimating).

The second time around, no scuffs, and went ALOT quicker, having been through it once before.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    After watching the Youtube videos I pretty much guaranty I would lose some of the smaller parts trying to install the DCAEK kit with a pair of tweezers. That's just me though. M&P's are way more complicated than Glocks. :popcorn:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I ordered and received the DCAEK kit and AEK trigger kit. I will be dropping it off tomorrow to be installed. I could do it myself, but I want it to be done by a professional. I can't wait to experience the improvement I have heard so much about.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I ordered and received the DCAEK kit and AEK trigger kit. I will be dropping it off tomorrow to be installed. I could do it myself, but I want it to be done by a professional. I can't wait to experience the improvement I have heard so much about.

Cool. Looking forward to your report. I have an M&P 9C that I can't quite make myself carry as yet, because I'm so conditioned to Glocks.

I have a RAM installed in the M&P because the lack of any tactile reset was killing me. It improved it some, but I'm looking forward to hearing your experience with the DCAEK kit and trigger, as I have not made that investment as yet.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Cool. Looking forward to your report. I have an M&P 9C that I can't quite make myself carry as yet, because I'm so conditioned to Glocks.

I have a RAM installed in the M&P because the lack of any tactile reset was killing me. It improved it some, but I'm looking forward to hearing your experience with the DCAEK kit and trigger, as I have not made that investment as yet.

I probably won't get to shoot it until at least next Friday. Here is a picture from when I shot it last. 7 yard line, two-handed, fairly quick fire.

20120914_123251.jpg

I believe the sights need to be moved as the gun is shooting to the left.

I am also conditioned to Glocks, I have owned and been carrying them as a duty weapon since 1994. It is hard to switch to a different platform but I think that once I get all of the modifications done to my M&P I will be more comfortable carrying it out in public.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I did the DCAEK and RAM in the workshop. Waiting for the polymer trigger for that mod. It's not that difficult to do yourself.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Also did the DCAEK and RAM in my fullsize 9. I just used a punch wrapped in electrical tape on the rear sight and no scratches or anything. The rear sight is held with a set screw, so the dovetail joint itself is not as tight as some sights. I love the feel of it now, although there is a lot of pre-travel. I would not skip the RAM either, it really gives it a positive feel on the trigger reset.

Picked up a 9c last week, I will be adding this kit to that soon too. Eventually, I plan to add the AEK trigger too. I think I'm going to like the metal trigger better. Just wondering why everyone seems to be waiting for the polymer trigger? Preference or something else I am missing?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    FWiW, Indyguy77 and I tried each other's M&P9's recently.
    He has just the Sear.
    I have the Duty Kit, but I put the stock trigger spring back in because i did not care for the harder trigger pull. To me the duty spring felt about a pound heavier than the stock 5-6lb trigger (albeit the sear and the usb made the trigger smoother)

Indyguy wanted to see if the USB made a noticeable difference, and if it was worth the extra money.

Both of us agreed at the time, that there was no difference between the two triggers.

So the sear alone (at half the cost) is the same as the duty kit, with exception of the heavier trigger spring.

The sear (keeping the stock trigger spring) will drop the poundage on the stock trigger. I' guessing to around 3.5 lb or so?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Just picked up the gun from the 'smith that installed the parts for me. First impression is good. The take-up is a lot shorter than stock, and the let-off is crisp. The metal trigger doesn't feel cheap like the stock one did. I had the gunsmith polish the internals and the feedramp to make them more smooth. I am hoping to shoot it Friday, I can't wait to see how much of an improvement the new parts make.

Top Bottom