• Preferred Method of reloading a Revolver

• Total voters

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Ok folks. For the revolver fans. If you were to rely on only a revolver (for carry, defense, what have you), what way would you prefer to reload your revolver. Im thinking of having one of my revolvers redone to accept moon clips.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have 2 hks speedloaders. I own a strip but I never use it. When shooting for fun I just load it one at a time, I like the clack sound as it drops in.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    For my 1917s, 25-5 and 610s I use moon clips. For some of the others I use HKS Speed Loaders if I have them. At the range I just load em one at a time. ;)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    The poll allowed for only one choice. I carry a Brace of N-frame Smiths. One Is a Model 29, for which I use HKS loaders, the other is a 1950 Military & Police .45, for that I carry full moon clips.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    If you're shooting a .38/.357 you can use SKS stripper clips as a hillbilly speed strip.

It holds 10 and works pretty well.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Moonclips.

I had my Ruger GP100 cylinder milled for use with moonclips.

I have tried all manners of quick reloads with a revolver, IMHO, moonclips are by far the fastest.

Just Google Jerry Miculek.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    My dad has a J framed 9MM that takes moon clips, it was mine but I traded him a RUGER 101 .357 w/ 3" barrel for it. He wanted something smaller and lighter to carry... I really would like to have it back, it is a neat gun and the moon clips are a fast way to reload. I guess he can keep it, being my dad and all. I would still love to have one in .38/.357, the only thing that is a pain is carrying the moon clips and keeping them from getting bent. One downfall of the 9MM is that it has to be shot with moons, no loose rounds. I think a .38/.357 is different.

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Moonclips for my 25's and 625's, HKS Speed Loaders for my K and L frames. Moonclips are definitely faster. L-Frame Speed Loaders also fit Pythons but so what. I don't normally carry revolvers anyway, not that I wouldn't.

Last edited:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I like the moon clips with my 327 R8, although I've noticed depending on the bullet design some bullets go in the cylinder easier than others. The hollow points with lead noses and the SWC or flat head designed bullets don't feed as readily as the round nose stuff. Otherwise with most of my other revolvers it is the HKS speed loaders and the speed strips or SKS strippers that work best... Dump pouches are OK if your looking for a flat way to carry extra ammo on your belt too....

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Well, I answered speed strips. Do I like speedloaders better? Yes. Are they faster? Yes. Would I actually carry them around? NO. Maybe,,maybe if a revolver was my primary gun, I would.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Speed strips. They take some getting used to, but after some practice they work really well in my experience.

I have tried all options and they all have their own pros and cons. I agree with the many others that moonclips are the fastest though. For me the speedstrips are easier to carry and give me a much easier option of doing a partial reload if need be. As with anything though, practice practice practice!

doublesharp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Clark County
    This 681 performance center 3" 7 shot is cut for moonclips or you can load 1 at a time. I buy the polymer clips, RIMZ I think, and find them to be very durable. This would probably be my gun fight revolver but if I'm in a gun fight gimmee a M&P or Glock. I'm usually carrying a j frame and generally don't carry extra ammo. If I think about it I may throw a few loose rounds in my pocket. I do have .38sp and .22lr ammo in my truck's trunk.

DSC03041.jpg

Top Bottom