• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    OK guys. I'm really wanting to get my hands dirty with a CZ 75B, but have also been looking at the other variants w/ full steel frame... is the EAA Witness and the Canik 55. What is the main difference between them all? Is there a better shooter out of the bunch? I'm not worried about the finish as I will be custom koting it in the future. Just want to hear about the function and comparison.

Let's please keep this one on topic. I'm having a hard time deciding and your CZ expertise will be much appreciated.

Side note... I have an EAA Witness P 3.6 carry that I really enjoy but its polymer and I prefer steel frame.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    CZ is the benchmark. EAA Witness is a fine pistol produced in Italy and has it's fans. Resale value goes to the CZ however…along with service/customer support.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    The there any drastic difference in performance and known reliability issues in either of the variants? Throwing the Jericho in there with them.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    After market is not huge for these pistols but the places that do work on them (Cajun Gun Works and CZ Custom Shop) do excellent work. I am not sure about CGW but I know that CZ Customs does not accept anything but a real deal CZs in for service. I think CGW will do limited work on clones but will not do everything, but don't quote me on that. I think in the long run just from a parts and warranty standpoint you would be better off going for a real CZ and not a clone brand.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Being a CZ owner, I must admit the Canik pistols intrigue me. Their Turkish workmanship reportedly gets very high fit and finish marks. But, as Manatee stated, the resale value of a CZ will be higher than the clones. Which, in a good way, might make a used Canik something to keep an eye out for if this is going to be a project of sorts?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have, um a few, CZs and love em. I have a Witness in 10mm, and have had them in .45 and 38 Super as well, and they are fine pistols and work well. Now after saying that the 10mm is the only one I kept of the clones and will probably just stick with the CZs. I just like the original and for the difference in cost you might as well get the real thing.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    A few years back, I was working on a Rami and one of the microscopic wire springs took off for another planet. I called CZ and talked to one of the techs. He sent me 2 replacement springs at no charge.

I don't expect that to happen often, and I may have been lucky because I was an FFL, but this sort of stuff impresses me to no end.

I don't shoot CZ's now, but I'm a fan of any company that treats its customers well.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Customer service is huge for me.
    Its sounding like CZ is def a top pic in that sense.

Rumor has it CZ's customer service is very good and Manatee's experience is pretty typical when, more like if, you ever need them.

Try checking out CZ forums. There are a few out there that are very active and informative that cover all the major issues (there aren't many) with CZs and usually have sections dedicated to clones too.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    ill chime in really quick... I own 4 CZ's: CTS Custom, CZ Shadow SP01 Target, CZ75 Stainless Custom (done by CGW...I have a thread in the forums), and a Standard CZ 75 custom (done by CZC). To start, let me address a few things up top... The internals on the clones is not always the same thing as what is in the CZ's. For example, the EAA guide rod is much different than the CZ rod... The springs are not always interchangeable... really, they are all different in there own way.

I know David from Cajungun Works and hes an awesome guy, I am sure he would "try" to do work on a clone or fix your issues but, his parts are made specific to CZ pistols (I know because I have done bluing work for him on his sights and hammers). Those will surely not work on a clone as they are cut specific to CZ.

CZ Custom is awesome but, they 100% will not work on a clone... Stuart is the man. Knows his stuff and anytime I talk to him he goes out of his way to make sure I understand everything he is saying/explaining. (Same goes for David at CGW). Since David is a smaller shop anytime you call and talk to him you are going to be treated the way you expect to be... with appreciation and kindness. I can not say the same for CZC. Those guys are SLAMMED... Some of the people are burnt out and they can easily get annoyed with novice questions. I understand this but, it still irritates me to an extent. On a side note, if you do call in and get/ask for Stuart, he is 100% awesome.

Customer service from CZ-USA is very good, and I have never had any issues with them other than they too are busy and it can be a pain in the butt to get through.

As far as aftermarket parts... there are more than you would need. Its not like Glock or 1911's but, plenty of sights, grips, magazines, etc... Doing work on them is not the easiest at first but, once you know what you are looking at/doing... its a pretty easy pistol to handle!

Gunsmiths... IMO you do not need any other smiths beside the two places I listed up top... CGW or CZC will do anything and everything you will want/can imagine. CGW will walk you though doing the labor on your own, they will also walk you through any problems that you come up with... its literally a call away. To add to that, there are plenty of videos and information floating around the net that will help you with whatever you need. I can tell you, with the clone (besides EAA) you are not going to get that.

My last bit of info... If you are buying something from CZC, its ready to roll out of the box. Literally, you take it out, its smooth as can be, and will shoot like a dream! If you are buying a standard 75 from CZ-USA or buying a 75 used... its not nearly the same. IMO, the double action is not good and the single action is creepy and heavy. Since I originally bought 75's in their original configurations, I can tell you, I would not have one/spend the 500-700 on one if I wasnt planning having extra work done to it. When I got my 75's they were both DA/SA 18lbs/8lbs. My Stainless that was sent to David is now a SA only and the trigger pull is perfectly crisp 2lbs. The 75 that was worked on at CZC DA/SA and is smooth as can be! 7lbs DA and 2.5lbs SA. The CTS was perfection and its a SA trigger set at 1.5lbs. The Shadow is very similar to the 75 that CZC did...

So in saying that, if you are buying a 75... I would just figure on 200-300 additional dollars and its perfect! Thats just me though.

I LOVE all my CZ's and would tell you that IMO they are some of the best pistols made. I cant say that for the clones as I have read some Kaka reviews on them. Not sure if thats what you were looking for, asking for? Anyway, good luck on your purchase!!

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    After trying out several 9mm, for the cost and feel, I have the SAR B6 all steel frame. Clone or not, this beauty was smooth and it fits like a glove. I wasn't going to buy it but I checked out the Kimbers just to see what the hoopla was about. uh, ok. Big deal. I tried the Kahr. FORGET IT! I tried the Witness P, didn't like the grip. I tried the SRC9C...nice. I looked at the M&P, Beretta Storm, and while they really felt good in my hands, I can't justify the cost. I had a Glock 17 (I was probably one of the first owners when they first hit Indy) and didn't really like it. Yup...for the first time in a long time, I felt giddy in the range when I fired the B6, and the price was right!

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Made a trade! Traded my EAA Witness P Carry for a Canik 55 Shark FC. This truly is a one of a kind handgun. Very excited to try it out. I've heard no negative reviews.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I own five CZ handguns. All have been heavily customized with CGW parts. IMO when you buy a brand new CZ what you are actually buying is potential. Many people don't like hearing this but I think it is true. While a new CZ has all of the accuracy and ergonomics they are famous for the trigger is pedestrian at best. While shooting and dry firing can have a very positive effect in order to fulfill the potential of these guns they need a little help. The CZ forum, czfirearms.us, has a wealth of information relating to the smithing of these guns. You can buy a few springs and do some polishing and you will notice a marked improvement. Drop a few bucks at Cajun Gun Works for a race hammer and a disconnector and you will begin to see what a CZ can really be. Go the full monty with an adjustable sear, extended firing pin, etc. and you realize just what you have. I made the mistake of sending my CZ 75 compact down to David at CGW. When I got it back the gun world from my little corner of it had changed forever. The gun I have now, and all of its sisters, isn't even remotely like the one I sent down there. It just isn't in the same, ballpark, league, etc. You get the idea. While the Caniks get great reviews and are really well-made guns and they can be improved to some degree, they don't hold a candle to a customized CZ. I'm not knocking your gun. It has little to do with the gun and everything to do with the parts available. If you would like to see what I mean I shoot in Lafayette at least once a week. I don't know where you live but it might be worth the drive some weekend to meet at the range. Warning: if you do this it will change how you look at all steel handguns. I have absolutely no interest in any other model because I know they don't have the potential and will never be what I already have. Yes, I am a fanboy and yes I have drank from the well of koolaid. I am not a great shooter. I am old with old man eyes and reflexes. These guns make me better than I ever hoped to be. I strongly recommend them.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I own five CZ handguns. All have been heavily customized with CGW parts. IMO when you buy a brand new CZ what you are actually buying is potential. Many people don't like hearing this but I think it is true. While a new CZ has all of the accuracy and ergonomics they are famous for the trigger is pedestrian at best. While shooting and dry firing can have a very positive effect in order to fulfill the potential of these guns they need a little help. The CZ forum, czfirearms.us, has a wealth of information relating to the smithing of these guns. You can buy a few springs and do some polishing and you will notice a marked improvement. Drop a few bucks at Cajun Gun Works for a race hammer and a disconnector and you will begin to see what a CZ can really be. Go the full monty with an adjustable sear, extended firing pin, etc. and you realize just what you have. I made the mistake of sending my CZ 75 compact down to David at CGW. When I got it back the gun world from my little corner of it had changed forever. The gun I have now, and all of its sisters, isn't even remotely like the one I sent down there. It just isn't in the same, ballpark, league, etc. You get the idea. While the Caniks get great reviews and are really well-made guns and they can be improved to some degree, they don't hold a candle to a customized CZ. I'm not knocking your gun. It has little to do with the gun and everything to do with the parts available. If you would like to see what I mean I shoot in Lafayette at least once a week. I don't know where you live but it might be worth the drive some weekend to meet at the range. Warning: if you do this it will change how you look at all steel handguns. I have absolutely no interest in any other model because I know they don't have the potential and will never be what I already have. Yes, I am a fanboy and yes I have drank from the well of koolaid. I am not a great shooter. I am old with old man eyes and reflexes. These guns make me better than I ever hoped to be. I strongly recommend them.

I may take you up on that offer good sir.
    By no means do I intend on stopping at what handguns I have already. I'm building a collection of finer firearms and truth be told this EAA Witness and Canik are are the bare bottom of value when it comes to the collection I've built thus far and intend on. The main reason I traded the witness was because the Canik 55 S FC absolutely fascinates me. I would even go so far as saying they're rare in America. For a $400-$500 (once $325ish) handgun with the ergonomics and features it provides, I don't think I could go wrong. Plus I like knowing I have something that a large % of other gun owners do not have. Who knows, this thing could turn out like the FN 5.7... no one wants it now, but down the road the prices may increase... I mean it already has to some extent (probably due to legislation though).
    Within the next few years, I plan in owning a few CZ's. And definitely plan on smithing them. You and others have persuaded me greatly! I already feel this CZ feaver coming over me.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The Caniks are well made guns. CGW usually offers a limited amount of parts for them but for some reason they are currently unavailable. I have heard from others that with these few modifications the Caniks are very sweet. I would keep an eye on the CGW site and order those parts if/when they become available. From everything i've heard you should be very pleased with your Canik. Let me know if you would like to shoot mine. I am usually available on the weekends and I love to see the look on people's faces when they shoot them. :D

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    The Caniks are well made guns. CGW usually offers a limited amount of parts for them but for some reason they are currently unavailable. I have heard from others that with these few modifications the Caniks are very sweet. I would keep an eye on the CGW site and order those parts if/when they become available. From everything i've heard you should be very pleased with your Canik. Let me know if you would like to shoot mine. I am usually available on the weekends and I love to see the look on people's faces when they shoot them. :D

Sounds like a deal my friend. I'll add you to my ingo friends/contacts.
    I like doing the same with people who have never shot before... with my 45/70. Its hilarious.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I'd like to meet up with you and try some of your pistols! I have a M&P that I don't like and my nephew wants me to come to TN to shoot his CZ's but Lafayette would be closer!

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    +1 for Canik. I have a Tristar C100, made by Canik. Flawless, 600+ so far and not a single issue. Shoots anything I feed it. If your ever around FW, I'd be happy to let you try it on for size.

Top Bottom