• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    What are good alternatives to MREs. I need something that will store the same if not longer than a case of mres. The alternative must me reasonably priced too. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ps must taste good lol..... No freeze dried turds.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Buy a few and try them. Don't know what you like.

I have some Mountain House food. You can get it online, and cabelas. Probably other places. I know those for sure.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Check out wise foods, they will send you a sample for your info online. A rep emails me about once a month with specials.... they havent nagged me so no problems.

Ive only had a few sample entrees and the whole family said they would eat it in situations.... just not everyday for a regular meal. As I did w/ the early MREs in the Army I need to tweak and add some flavors to these and I think they will be gtg.

Theres a few of guys and sons do a couple hunting/ campout trips this winter and I plan to use these meals.....

Anyhow, check it out. I saw that Bradis II has these packaged up too.... of course cheaper online by buying bulk.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Don't knock Mountain House until you have tried it. I like the chili mac and the beef stew. It actually is pretty good and unless you seen it being made you would not know it is freeze dried. I sampled a two serving breakfast pack recently I wanted to use and when it comes to the eggs....use ketchup or a LOT of pepper. I have it put back because I figure that in a situation where I actually am opening the Mountain House then I will eat just about anything. :twocents:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Honeyville Grains has a lot of variety. Their shipping is always $5.00 for any order. I like the Wise Foods but their shipping for smaller orders is high.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I heard that the Walmart in Greenfiled carries long term storage foods, think it was Wisefood storage

I've seen the Augason 12 day pails at WalMart (and yes at Greenfield and 96th St in Indy). Link to walmarts website featuring them found below. Please note these are 12 day for a single person, for $68ish dollars.

Augason Farms 12-Day Emergency Pail: Camping : Walmart.com

They also have other smaller individual items in their camping section. More of a single entree or side items.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    What are good alternatives to MREs. I need something that will store the same if not longer than a case of mres. The alternative must me reasonably priced too. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ps must taste good lol..... No freeze dried turds.

Freeze dried food is great...don't know what kind you have eaten.

I can cook anything out of freeze dried food that i can cook with fresh food. and the taste is the same.

We have a cook book and lots of online recipes.

I am also looking for a consultant in fort Wayne area...

Check out my website...and check back often we have lots of things that go on sale.

Tresia Thompson - Online Store

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I know that it is not as long term as some but lets not forget about canning home grown food, When **** hits the fan I still want to know what I'm eating haha

Canning is great. Cheaper and healthier.
    But some foods are better for an emergency move. Glass breaks easy.
    Some of these foods just need hot water.
    Energy bars suck. Unless you have to move rapidly, and not have time for real food. Like evac'ing an area.

You should plan for different events.
    I wouldn't want to eat energy bars for 3 days straight. Canned would be better for that.

Top Bottom