• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So my son has a peanut allergy. He needs an Epi-Pen at school and we keep one with us. The ones my wife just picked up today cost $253 each from CVS and expire in October. Hrm. Time to investigate other options. I wonder if I Can get a glass ampule of epi and keep it handy along with an insulin syringe.

Any other food allergy suffers getting hosed on epi-pen costs? It's basically life-insurance that we've never needed but this is the 7th and 8th we've bought. He's 4.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So my son has a peanut allergy. He needs an Epi-Pen at school and we keep one with us. The ones my wife just picked up today cost $253 each from CVS and expire in October. Hrm. Time to investigate other options. I wonder if I Can get a glass ampule of epi and keep it handy along with an insulin syringe.

Any other food allergy suffers getting hosed on epi-pen costs? It's basically life-insurance that we've never needed but this is the 7th and 8th we've bought. He's 4.
    I have a friend that owns a pharmacy, if I am remembering correctly I can save you between 50-75%. Send me a PM later so that I will remember to call him tomorrow.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Thanks BK, I'll PM you tomorrow. On the Anakit, that is similar to what I'm wanting to do. The EpiPen is the "no-brainer" way for the lay public to use easily. My wife's a dentist, we can handle the dosing and injection portion, just don't want to cough up $500+ every 12 months.

We have insurance but there is not much help on prescriptions below our HSA out-of-pocket limits (which I try not to hit anyway). This was also a CVS cost which is probably the most expensive way to buy drugs.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    If you stick with the epi pen, when you get them check the expiration date while you're standing there. If its less than a year refuse it.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    My wife is a pharmacist and was asking her about this. She was saying that it should not have been dispensed with an expiration date less than 12 months out. She said always check the date at the counter and if its under 12 months out have them order you a different one. She will check prices tomorrow and I will let you know.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I haven't bought an epipen in probably 4 years. last ones I bought were $125 for a 2-pack!

FWIW, I was told by my allergist and a pharmacist that as long as the epi inside is not milky, the pens are still good, despite what the expiry date says. Not that I would want to bet my kid's life on this assumption...

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Look into the Avi-Q. I have a peanut allergy, and I was able to get the Avi-Q for free. It works great. I had an accident back in the fall, and the Avi-Q saved me.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Auvi-Q is the same price. I'll see if they have a coupon floating around. Mbills, thanks for the offer. Problem is the non-medical people won't be able to use that so we still need the auto injectors.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My insulin is about $60 per tube, and it's supposed to last about 45 days, but it takes a tube per week, so no probs with life, just the cost. M'lady is doing better with pepper and such, but still bad with soy protein and especially eggy weggs (1 internet to the first one that gets that ref). I wanted to try her out on duck eggs, as some aren't sensitive to those, but that hasn't worked out so far. We just read ingredient lists and avoid the bad stuff.

Top Bottom