• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    148   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm looking at these three options for my bedside gun. I'm also thinking about giving IDPA a shot (no pun intended) in the future. Two parts: Has anyone had any major issues with any of these three? I don't want to have someone break in and worry about what's closest to me. And does anyone shoot IDPA with any of these three?

harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    The beretta is a great gun and in my opinion more reliable than a glock i used mine for competition and did ok. I had the fnp 45 which is the same gun as the fnx 9 besides caliber and it was a awsome gun but i traded it for a 1911 for single stack. If it was me the SR9 would be my last choice i just dont like them.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The Beretta is my "nightstand weapon". The one I have is a franken-92 as I built it using parts from many donors, and it has been 100% reliable and amazingly accurate. Having an 18 round flush fit mag is a nice touch.

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I would vote for the FN just because of size and weight as well as high capacity. The Berreta is a great gun but for HD I like the FN much better, just my opinion though. i could be slightly biased.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm looking at these three options for my bedside gun. I'm also thinking about giving IDPA a shot (no pun intended) in the future. Two parts: Has anyone had any major issues with any of these three? I don't want to have someone break in and worry about what's closest to me. And does anyone shoot IDPA with any of these three?

I've got an M9 (same-same Model 92) which I wouldn't trade for a farm in Texas! :yesway:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Question: Have you considered a wheel gun for the nightstand? When you think about it, it makes sense. I have a S&W Mod 10 38 Spec (Snubby) on the headboard of our bed because I didn't want to have to mess with the safety/mechanics when/if I was woke up from a deep sleep to a SHTF situation. My wife has a S&W 442 on her side as well. In addition, we both have shotguns on each side of the bed should the situation call for more firepower. (There are no children in our home, so leaving a couple of loaded guns nearby is not really an issue.)

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    148   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Question: Have you considered a wheel gun for the nightstand? When you think about it, it makes sense.

I know what you're saying. The Mossberg 500 under the bed is the other safety precaution. It's not a wheel gun, but it would definitely get my point across to anyone trying to break in. I think the primary purpose would be for IDPA or other shooting activities, but it would reside in the nightstand (no kids either) and be a good option B.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I know what you're saying. The Mossberg 500 under the bed is the other safety precaution. It's not a wheel gun, but it would definitely get my point across to anyone trying to break in. I think the primary purpose would be for IDPA or other shooting activities, but it would reside in the nightstand (no kids either) and be a good option B.

Sure thing. Fortunately, our headboard has a platform across the back of the bed and we have a body pillow covering armory lying below. HA! All I have to do is reach up over/behind my head and I have a wheel gun in hand and ready to rock.

Earl Sinclair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not a 92-Series fan, as I can't reach the slide-mounted safety without breaking my grip. It was very accurate and easy to shoot, though. Full disclosure - I am biased against manual safeties in general. Many others love it - your mileage may vary. I haven't shot the other two, so I can't provide any firsthand input on those.

A couple of other considerations:
    1) Nightstand guns should have night sights. Power can fail or be cut, and batteries die at the worst possible moment. Choose something that can have night sights installed - some of the newer Berettas have that capability, so one of those might still suit you while maintaining the feel of the 92A1.
    2) If you're serious about using you nightstand gun in competition (an excellent idea), look into availability and cost of accessories (magazines, holsters, repair parts, etc.) Beretta and Ruger stuff should be readily available and inexpensive, but FN tends to be just the opposite.

Good luck,

Scruffles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    North East IN
    I’ve had my SR 9 for a few months now and I really like it. I have almost 400 rounds threw it with only 3 failures in the first 50-100 rounds. I have tried reloads in it but after feeding a round too large for barrel which resulted in the slide locking half open and having to shove a rod down the barrel to recess the live bullet into the casing to get the slide to unlock, I haven’t tried them since. I also have never cleaned it since getting it not even the packaging grease and it has been 100% after the first 100 rounds. As far as accuracy I can get 2 ½’’ to 3’’ groups at 50 feet if I try hard enough.:D

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking at these three options for my bedside gun.

I've got the FNX-9 and the Beretta M9. For carry, the FNX-9 would be my choice (weight), but the M9 has Crimson Trace laser grips and is under my pillow every night. Who cares how much it weighs if you don't carry?

I shoot the M9 better than the FNX-9 and I like the track record and reliability of the all steel pistols. If you're going to use this for competition as well, I would go with the Beretta.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    beretta is my night stand gun. frankin 92 with stainless slide and m9 lower
    100% reliable even when running it suppressed with rounds that choke my glock supressed run fine with it

also have a mec gar +2 for a total of 21 rounds but i condider this combo to heavy to carry on a daily bases

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I own an FNX-9 and i love it its been 100% reliable in close to 500 rounds,(still early i know) and atleast for me its been scary accurate. I will have to say the lack of night sights and holster options is frustrating. Im hoping that will change as it grows in popularity. I HAD a 92 for a reason, it didnt fit me well and i couldnt hit the broad side of the fattest harley with it. So i sold it to my friend who could. To each thier own though.

zcsmith464

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've had an SR9 for a while, very enjoyable gun to shoot. I found it to be very accurate and reliable. As mentioned above the looks are not the best, but it is comfortable in the hand. I can't say much for your other two choices.

sheepdog324

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    FNX 9. Liked the trigger and capacity. Kinda big though. Hi Powers and Handguns had a really good review if you're interested.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    I dont shoot comp, but I have owned all three and by FAR I would tell you to get the beretta... I like the weight of the weapon, and overall feel and preformance. Plus mags are cheap. You can utalize the light rail on the beretta and have one helava weapon. As of last week Bradis has a beretta 90-two, with those rechargeable night sights ( not really a fan of those but for 100 more you can swap them out for big boy night sights ) I believe it was under 500.00. Next would be the FN, the FN is light and accurate although I do not believe that the weight of the weapon would be an issue for a night stand / comp gun. Mags are PRICEY, but that may not be an issue since most of them come with 5 mags (2 of them standard , 3 of them are 10rds ) and I cannot remeber if the rail would accept most lights or if it has a rail like a HK. The SR9, I just did not like it.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    I've got the fnp9 and it's been great for me. I am very accurate with it. Mine came with 3 10 rd mags and 2 16 rd mags. Holsters are slim unless you order one. I ordered a crossbreed super tuck. On the other hand it fits the Springfield XD kydeX holsters almost perfect, the fnp. Most lights should fit on the rail, I think it's the same as the FNP model.

Top Bottom