• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    I am well aware that the 5.7x28 round and it's eponymous pistol have been much discussed, but I have run into a number of folks lately that use the FiveseveN as their EDC, and seem very comfortable with it. Several also have the PS90, and love it. I have also read more positive stuff about the FiveseveN of late. Is the 5.7x28 round starting to feel the love? Is it starting to garner respect? Should this handgun/rifle combo be taken seriously for EDC and/or HD? What are your thoughts?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Hard to tell as 5.7x28 ammo is about as easy to find as gold laying on the street.

As much as I like my FN Five-seveN and my PS-90s, not being able to find ammo and seeing letters from FNH that it will ship eventually makes it hard for me to recommend it anymore. And that is really sad as I really enjoy shooting the two pieces.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    id buy one, either a five seven or a p90, in a heartbeat if they werent so damn expensive. HMMMM.. a glock and a AR for the price of one pistol that eats ammo that costs almost a buck a round.. HMMMM

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I really haven't found any redeeming feature to that pistol other than its ability to defeat armor under limited circumstances. The round is marginal out of that gun. It doesn't really hold that much more ammo than a similar sized 9mm. It's expensive to train with. I don't particularly like the ergonomics. I don't think it's as reliable as a glock or M&P. There is limited support for holsters and other such equipment. I recently fired one at night and the flash is on par with a Draco.

I just don't see what you get for twice as much money as a glock or M&P. The only reason I could see using one is if it were issued as a backup for a P90 (which is what it was designed as)

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    They are expensive but great to shoot

I don't know if I'd use the FiveseveN as my EDC but I do enjoy shooting both it and my PS90. Ammo is scarce but it will come around again, too many owners to abandon the caliber. As for the use of the round for SD, I've yet to find anyone willing to be shot with one. I also have read reports that it is used by the Secret Service. Although more expensive than 9 mm or 45 acp it can still be found for a decent price. With Federal starting to produce it, the price and availability should improve also.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    They're one of the most dependable pistols I've ever come across... I'd bet my life on the FIREARM.

5.7x28mm isn't a ballistic beauty queen but I wouldn't discount it too far.
    If factory ammo was available loaded to the round's complete potential, then I would say that it edges out about every handgun caliber out there.

If some company ever picks up the slack and makes some top shelf ammo for it, you won't see it scoffed at anymore. Elite ammunition... Meh, good luck getting anything you order, I don't like seeing back orders that long on nearly every single product.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would not choose 5.7mm if i had a choice, there are no upsides.

The permanent crush cavity is very small, and the temporary cavity doesn't stretch the tissue enough to cause damage. You would be much better served with any of the standard service calibers.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Accept. . .the gun has a 90% kill ratio with a particular ammo choice we are capable of buying. It's the gun the guy in fort hood used. It's a tumbling round that will end you. Will a 45 or 9 kill you? You bet. But this one has less recoil.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Had the priviledge to shoot an M4 clone with a 5.7 upper yesterday, complete with the PS90 magazine and silencer. No ear protection was needed with the can on, and the little round was clanging the steel target that was way out there. Very little recoil, and the ability to rattle off 50 rounds quite easily without a hitch was pretty mind-boggling.

jlwest1213

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    SE Indiana
    Never knew that was such a lethal round, will have to learn myself on it more. Considered an upper for my wife and daughter to have fun with, but like others mentioned I couldn't find any bulk ammo on a recent search.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Accept. . .the gun has a 90% kill ratio with a particular ammo choice we are capable of buying. It's the gun the guy in fort hood used. It's a tumbling round that will end you. Will a 45 or 9 kill you? You bet. But this one has less recoil.

At no point does 5.7mm, even the short time it is at full YAW, crush more tissue than a 9mm JHP.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Look up what Pat Rogers and guys who actually used the round in bad situations have to say about the lethality of 5.7, might be suprised....

Now, that being said, I would not want to be shot with one, but would not want to carry one in a crackhead filled environ either...

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    @tdoom15
    Crush cavity is a myth. Blood loss and psychological incapacitation are how you stop human threats with a pistol. Yes, larger calibers will create a larger diameter hole leading to additional blood loss and to eventual stoppage. A 5.7 tumbler rolls up through your body, richochets, fragments, and possibly exits causing greater over all blood loss and organ tissue damage. If the round had sketchy stopping power, do you honestly think the secret service would use them?

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    someone shot with a 5.7 will not just shrug it off regardless of the crush cavity and temporary cavity. the upside is the capability to defeat soft kevlar armor.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Its still new, so its magic. Just like Glocks were magic and could defeat metal detectors when they first came out.

In a decade or so, it'll probably be about as popular as the .22 mag.

It does not have any magical armor defeating capabilities. There are AP rounds, but not in the States. We have shot soft vests with them, and the vest stopped them with no issues at all, even after repeated hits in the same area. I don't care what the hype says, I've held the vest in my hands and physically determined it did not penetrate.

The argument "no one has volunteered to be shot with one" doesn't mean anything. Have you found many folks willing to volunteer to get hit in the groin with a slingshot? Does that mean its an effective self-defense round, or just that the people you hang out with aren't complete morons willing to accept injury and pain for funsies?

I don't see anything this gun/caliber does that a cheaper and easier to feed gun doesn't.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

The Ft. Hood shooting killed, what 12 or 13? Over 30 were injured, so about 25% were fatal.

I'd like to see a source on that 90% figure. That's absolutely incredible for any handgun round, and most of the Five SeveN figures I see liberally borrow from submachine gun stats and mix them with the handgun.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Its still new, so its magic. Just like Glocks were magic and could defeat metal detectors when they first came out.

In a decade or so, it'll probably be about as popular as the .22 mag.

It does not have any magical armor defeating capabilities. There are AP rounds, but not in the States. We have shot soft vests with them, and the vest stopped them with no issues at all, even after repeated hits in the same area. I don't care what the hype says, I've held the vest in my hands and physically determined it did not penetrate.

The argument "no one has volunteered to be shot with one" doesn't mean anything. Have you found many folks willing to volunteer to get hit in the groin with a slingshot? Does that mean its an effective self-defense round, or just that the people you hang out with aren't complete morons willing to accept injury and pain for funsies?

I don't see anything this gun/caliber does that a cheaper and easier to feed gun doesn't.

was it IIIA? there are vids on youtube that show it penetrating.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was going to purchase one of these at the beginning of 2012. I then had some medical bills, which were twice the cost of the pistol. Although I still want one badly, I just do not foresee purchasing one in the near future. My reasoning is the ammo. Like others have said, it is expensive and hard to find. I figure if Obama controls guns more in his second term, the ammo may become harder and harder to find. I'm not willing to pay such a premium to shoot--even if the round is brutally effective.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    1293772260615.png

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members