• ...and so much more!
  • hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    Hmm, I have to say that I agree with this statement:

"I am sick and tired of this sensitivity movement for criminals. Every time there is a warranted execution that is about to take place, some man or woman is standing on a corner holding a sign, yelling and screaming for humane treatment," he added. "I have no desire to humanely respect those that are inhumane."

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm just going to go out on a neg-rep filled branch and say that I oppose the death penalty in all forms except in extremely rare circumstances. I think that the prison system in this country does not mete Justice, it metes revenge and we should not accept this.

Prisons should be with the intent to protect society from those who do not fit in it. if protecting society can be accomplished by locking them away and throwing away the key, do it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I'm just going to go out on a neg-rep filled branch and say that I oppose the death penalty in all forms except in extremely rare circumstances. I think that the prison system in this country does not mete Justice, it metes revenge and we should not accept this.

Prisons should be with the intent to protect society from those who do not fit in it. if protecting society can be accomplished by locking them away and throwing away the key, do it.

What if said people become a danger to others incarcerated? Say he/she murders some guards or other inmates? Do you just put them in the hole, or solitary for the rest of their life?

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby

No negative rep, but I feel we should use the death penalty more. If a person is found guilty of murder, rape, or child molesting they get 1 appeal 30 days later, then capital punishment steps in the day after they are found guilty the 2nd time. These people should not be given the opportunity to re-enter society and do more harm to another family!

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Not gonna neg rep anyone either, but I agree with both hondatech and OZZY.

They get one appeal, the next day they are taken out back. Done deal.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    For most of my life I have believed in using the death penalty more often and much much more quickly. However lately with the advent of better DNA testing getting innocent people off death row and more incidences coming to light of police and the DA's railroading or hiding exculpatory evidence...I've ...softened my stand. Still not against it, but definitely not as gung ho for it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think the death penalty should only be used when there is NO doubt, no beyond a reasonable doubt. As stated there have been many on death row for crimes they did not commit and it is a horrible travesty to kill anyone for a crime they did not commit.

On the other hand, when you know they did it(Gacy, Bundy, Dahmer, or even these guys in Connecticut) they should be put down as soon as possible. The line of proof should be extremely high though.

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby
    For most of my life I have believed in using the death penalty more often and much much more quickly. However lately with the advent of better DNA testing getting innocent people off death row and more incidences coming to light of police and the DA's railroading or hiding exculpatory evidence...I've ...softened my stand. Still not against it, but definitely not as gung ho for it.

I agree that DNA testing has freed a lot of innocent people, which is why I now believe if DNA test show a person is guilty, it's time to pick your last meal. And I do hope they use the M1 Garand or for the pedophiles, a 10/22!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Using the death penalty less is not the solution. Stamping out corruption and abuse of power is. Don't think addressing a consequence is the same as getting to the root cause. Complete abolition of the death penalty won't change the fact that people get railroaded, and quite frankly, it's no less of a loss of life to incarcerate someone for life on the same abuse of power. Being alive isn't the standard, being free to live it is.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    Utah & Idaho both use the fireing squad. The last person excuted by fireing squad was in 1996. Utah gives a inmate the choice, between lethal injection or fireing squad. Not sure about Idaho.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Using the death penalty less is not the solution. Stamping out corruption and abuse of power is. Don't think addressing a consequence is the same as getting to the root cause. Complete abolition of the death penalty won't change the fact that people get railroaded, and quite frankly, it's no less of a loss of life to incarcerate someone for life on the same abuse of power. Being alive isn't the standard, being free to live it is.

What about the people who are exonerated many years after sentencing? If we had executed them, they would have never had the opportunity to be set free.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I approve of the concept of the death penalty (and hangings, firing squads etc), but our current legal system is, IMO, too imperfect except in the most obvious of cases to be trusted with so permanent a punishment.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

A couple questions for you: Under what circumstances would you be OK with execution of a convicted criminal?

Which is more humane, locking up a human for long years with other humans who have steeped their lives in inhumane acts, or ending a life before that human can end someone else's life?

What is the purpose of a prison? Is it to mete out justice or contain people who have been adjudged guilty of crimes by juries of their peers (e.g. our constitutionally-constituted "Justice System?")

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    How about 24/7 solitary confinement instead of execution?

Remember, it's not only a criminal being executed, but also the state deciding which of its citizens should be killed and for which offenses. I would be wary of making it easy for government to exercise this power rapidly, or of expanding the number of capital offenses.

Given the distrust of the government in general here, and of some police, are you sure you trust the government to only prosecute and execute the guilty? Just like the great job they're doing with the economy, immigration, etc.?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    How about 24/7 solitary confinement instead of execution?

Remember, it's not only a criminal being executed, but also the state deciding which of its citizens should be killed and for which offenses. I would be wary of making it easy for government to exercise this power rapidly, or of expanding the number of capital offenses.

Given the distrust of the government in general here, and of some police, are you sure you trust the government to only prosecute and execute the guilty? Just like the great job they're doing with the economy, immigration, etc.?

The problems we're getting into with any of this are various' groups' ideas about what constitutes "cruel and unusual punishment." We've stretched our original judicial system 'way out of shape through legal opinions and precedents set which turn the original intent of laws and punishment on their heads in some cases. This is a bad thing, folks, because if we can't trust our court system to provide us with a generally-agreed-upon "justice" we will no longer trust that system. If we can't trust our court system, our respect for our government declines and at some point, our society will break down.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Bring Back Firing Squads

because we need more government employees who get off on killing people.

1313482576chinese-firing-squad.jpg

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    What about the people who are exonerated many years after sentencing? If we had executed them, they would have never had the opportunity to be set free.

What about 'em?

This isn't a perfect world. And it isn't populated with perfect humans. It goes without saying that mistakes will happen. I am not excusing the mistakes, nor am I condoning them. I am being realistic about what life within a society like our is really like. Not the utopian dreamworld people want it to be.

I don't favor abolishing the death penalty just because innocent people are executed. The death penalty isn't responsible for their wrongful conviction. You want to avoid their death, start there.

Yes, it's cold and harsh approach. Yes, I would be pissed as hell if one of my family members were wrongfully convicted and subsequently executed. But it would not change my mind about the use of the death penalty because it wasn't the death penalty that failed. YMMV.

Top Bottom