Fixing the finish on a scratched black frame pistol.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    So, as my signature would suggest I am seeking a CS9 or CS45. I have a lead on one, the deal isn't set in stone yet but the particular CS9 has some cosmetic flaws. Not a big deal, but take a look:

tEaCmEM.jpg

How simple would it be to correct that and get those scratches blended in?

Also, in the event I wanted to cerakote the entire pistol... how does one do that legally since it appears that the serial is painted on and not engraged or stamped? Can you legally paint over it so long as you stencil the same numbers back? How does one do this legally or is that simply not an option?

mr_camera_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Lake co.
    I'm thinking I'll try Brownell's Aluma-Hyde soon on a slightly pitted P3AT slide. Both the gun and the spray can need to be heated for best results, but a $5 thrift shop toaster oven beats a more expensive spray gun like you'd need for Cerakote. I have read on ARFCOM that Aluma-Hyde, when properly applied, is pretty tough stuff.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I had a desire to pick up one of these once, I found one and it had issues so I sold it. Good luck with yours!

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I had a desire to pick up one of these once, I found one and it had issues so I sold it. Good luck with yours!

I love love love my 4566TSW. I wanted something smaller, more practical for daily carry so got a CM9 by Kahr. Great little gun, had some concern about the polymer originally but too lazy to send it back and wait a month for it to return. 200 rounds, no issues with it yet. It's in my pocket right now as I sit here at my desk. But I'd still rather have a similarly sized, (non polymer) S&W. If the CS9 or CS45 performs as well as it's bigger brother, the 4566, then I'll be quite happy. The 4566 I've put, well, a lot of rounds through it so far. I'd say nearing 1,000, I stopped counting/caring after the original 300 or so. It had two owners before me. Who knows what they put through it. I've not had a single issue with it. One fail to fire and it was the ammo, not the gun. Chambered the same round twice, never went bang. Dud. Threw it in the trash. :)

What issues did you have with yours? Hopefully I won't experience the same!

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    The slide wouldn't fully return. It's an older gun, could have been a worn out spring. I was just using whatever walmart ammo I had at the time. I reload now not sure if better ammo would have helped.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I love love love my 4566TSW. I wanted something smaller, more practical for daily carry so got a CM9 by Kahr. Great little gun, had some concern about the polymer originally but too lazy to send it back and wait a month for it to return. 200 rounds, no issues with it yet. It's in my pocket right now as I sit here at my desk. But I'd still rather have a similarly sized, (non polymer) S&W. If the CS9 or CS45 performs as well as it's bigger brother, the 4566, then I'll be quite happy. The 4566 I've put, well, a lot of rounds through it so far. I'd say nearing 1,000, I stopped counting/caring after the original 300 or so. It had two owners before me. Who knows what they put through it. I've not had a single issue with it. One fail to fire and it was the ammo, not the gun. Chambered the same round twice, never went bang. Dud. Threw it in the trash. :)

What issues did you have with yours? Hopefully I won't experience the same!

The CS9 and the LS9 are/were absolutely fantastic guns. I'm personally not a big fan of the non M&P autos that S&W has had over the years, but I've found that I like the feel of my wife's aunt's LS9. (She also has a Sig 239, a Ruger LCR, and an OD G19...)

I think those little single-stack Al framed guns are excellent weapons.

Top Bottom