• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    What kind of monofilament does everyone like? I like Spiderwire but when I ordered it from Amazon it was the old packaging which tells me it is the old line. It's being returned and looking for some type of replacement. WalMart used to carry it but no more. It needs to come from somewhere that has a good turnover so it's fresh. I use 4, 6, and a little 8#.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    What kind of monofilament does everyone like? I like Spiderwire but when I ordered it from Amazon it was the old packaging which tells me it is the old line. It's being returned and looking for some type of replacement. WalMart used to carry it but no more. It needs to come from somewhere that has a good turnover so it's fresh. I use 4, 6, and a little 8#.
    That line you ordered should be fine. It degrades badly if left in sunlight and/or, extreme temperatures. If it`s kept indoors out of the sunlight it`s good indefinitely.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I use 14lb Stren. Prefer the green color.

Never got into braid or any of the cofilament, Fluorocarbon, etc. My son uses several different types, I've just never needed it for the fishing I do, and I fish quite a bit.

It's probably great stuff and purpose built, just more of an old dog, new trick kind of thing, and needing to learn new knots. I've been fishing Baitcasters for 40+ years and the mono works well for me.

I do check it often for abrasion and if needed cut the knicked up line and retie the lure.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I am going back to heavy mono. Lost some good sharks on pretty heavy braid. Maybe mono won't abrade so easily on rocks underwater.
    I run heavy braid on the bottom 2/3rds of the spool and heavy mono on the top 1/3rd. Of course the biggest sharks I've hooked have all been on kingfish rigs with way too light/short leaders and way to light of a topshot even if the leaders would have held.

1903 Perfection

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2022
    St Petersburg Florida
    I run heavy braid on the bottom 2/3rds of the spool and heavy mono on the top 1/3rd. Of course the biggest sharks I've hooked have all been on kingfish rigs with way too light/short leaders and way to light of a topshot even if the leaders would have held.
    Makes sense. I live right on Tampa Bay, and in the spring when the stingrays are really up on the sand flats I catch those for bait. I lost some real big ones last year. ( Of course I mostly release sharks anyhow) I ordered some 150 lb mono....

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Makes sense. I live right on Tampa Bay, and in the spring when the stingrays are really up on the sand flats I catch those for bait. I lost some real big ones last year. ( Of course I mostly release sharks anyhow) I ordered some 150 lb mono....
    I only get to fish saltwater about one week a year and I don't always fish for sharks so I have only hooked a few large ones and landed none of them. The last time I made it to Florida we went to St. Pete Beach (love that area) and I had to switch to 60 lb. mono to finally land one of the barely legal gag groupers that kept breaking me off on the barnacles on the pilings of the dock I was fishing from.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I would agree with the comments about abrasion resistance. Mono is better for abrasion resistance than braid. I run braid with a mono leader. Length of the leader depends on the situation.

I prefer the zero stretch of the braid but like the low visibility of the mono....my leaders are always Floro though....really don't use mono anymore.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    What is the general consensus on the abrasion resistance of mono vs. fluoro? I've seen conflicting statements and it may depend on the formulation but I tend to be on the side of fluoro being more resistant.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm mainly a bank fisherman. I reluctantly switched back to braid a couple years ago at a very successful fishing buddy's insistence.

Little learning curve, but the sensitivity difference is huge. I have saved enough money in recovered jigs to pay for many spools of line.

The opposite of two70, I run mono as a backing to 50 yards of 15# PowerPro. Three reel "fills" per small spool that way.

This year I'm experimenting with SuperSlick V2 and Suffix 832 in a couple different bright colors.

Last edited:

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I'm mainly a bank fisherman. I reluctantly switched back to braid a couple years ago at a very successful fishing buddy's insistence.

Little learning curve, but the sensitivity difference is huge. I have saved enough money in recovered jigs to pay for many spools of line.

The opposite of two70, I run mono as a backing to 50 yards of 15# PowerPro. Three reel "fills" per small spool that way.

This year I'm experimenting with SuperSlick V2 and Suffix 832 in a couple different bright colors.

I'm using the Suffix 832 on my baitcast and love it. I also bank fish in lots of low visibility waters and can fish any lure straight braid, no leader. If I get a chance to fish some cleaner water I will tie a leader on but 95% it's just not needed for my situation.

22LRFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 9, 2022
    East Central Indiana
    I use Stren for everything except muskie. Braid is amazing, especially when using soft plastics. You feel every tap and the hook set is that much better. I just got tired of messing with the braid when bass fishing. When chasing muskie, I use 40lb to 80lb braid with a leader.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I use Stren for everything except muskie. Braid is amazing, especially when using soft plastics. You feel every tap and the hook set is that much better. I just got tired of messing with the braid when bass fishing. When chasing muskie, I use 40lb to 80lb braid with a leader.
    What about braid when bass fishing made you get tired of it? Just curious.

Top Bottom