First year I didn't go to the race, it's cool and nobody can get in!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    My 2 cents on the security fiasco. I like the pre race stuff as much as I like the race so I aim to get there at 8 for the bands.

I didn't but I could have walked in there with a pistol of choice under my shirt unless they have more sophisticated stuff than I saw. They looked in my cooler and that was it. As we walked past a couple of police dogs my suspicious side figured that if I was carrying the dogs would have pointed at me but my practical side said that the dogs would have ignored me b/c their handler and the 3 "plainclothes" guys behind the k9 were packing too.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    been going for several years and didn't notice anything different in regards to wait time getting in at 25th and Georgetown. They did have the line set up differently with separate cooler inspection and and ticket taking. Of course it took awhile to get through the line but it seems in recent years attendance is also up. Also I didn't notice an more thorough inspection than past years.

What I haven't understood in years is that they let cars up to the intersection and 25th and Georgetown. Just doesn't make any sense that you have mass quantities of foot traffic there and some cars trying to get through making it worse.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I can't say beyond any shadow of a doubt he did do it on purpose just like you can't say beyond any shadow of a doubt that he did not. This would be a perfect situation to agree to disagree.

Considering Dario had a near fatality in Michigan 2007 followed by a flip into the wall the following week at Kentucky as well as watching one his best friends die at Las Vegas in 2011, I can say with near certainty that he wouldn't tag the wall like that just to help TK win. In all honesty, had the race gone the full 200 laps I still think TK would have won. The cars had great speed in the draft but tapered off quickly in clean air. With TK being the most experienced driver up front and one of the best passers as well, I assure you he would've allowed someone else to take the lead by lap 199 so he could make his pass coming out of turn 4 when the checkers are out.

And thank God there is no gimmicky green-white-checker. This is the Indianapolis 500, not the Indianapolis 502.5, the Indianapolis 505, etc.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    Is there something specific I should be watching for in this video?

One of the worst views of the race ever? :dunno:

I've been to the race a few times and it's neat for the festivities and all. I prefer to listen to the radio broadcast like I did when I was a kid and "seeing" the race that way. It's rather ho-hum once the race starts and you're essentially watching TV.

Then, I'll watch the TV replay later tracking the eventual winner and a couple fo the other front running guys. It's interesting to see the decisions the team made during the race that led to the victory.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    One of the worst views of the race ever? :dunno:

Well the stuff from the infield was due to what I volunteered for. My choice was to either help hold this.

indy500americanflag.jpg

Or one of the flags in the background here.

3da985f5a2cbf811320f6a706700b6d9.jpg

I choose the latter and ended up holding the flag for TK. By the time the flags were being put up the race was starting. The next shot was taken from my seat and then from right up against the fence. I wish I would have taken my video camera but I don't know the rules for video cameras so i just took my little point and shoot camera.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    You mean I can't leave my house an hour before the race starts and expect to be in my seat before the race starts?!?!?!

As a general rule people wait till the last second. Get to a place early and walk right in. When it's over wait a while then leave and drive right out...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It hasn't been "The Greatest Spectacle in Auto Racing" since it became an IRL Spec Race that's little different than a glorified IROC race.

The "Jive Hundred" more accurately describes it!

I used to go every year, and had 5 tickets on the outside of the 1st turn.

Now I wouldn't walk across the street to see that over regulated joke with a free ticket.

Don't get me started!

Top Bottom