• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    My friend and I...(i think most of my posts have begun like this lately..oh well) went to the Indiana Gun Club on 113th near Geist. First off, very nice place. Its all on the honor system. Just drive up start shooting then go in and pay for whatever you shot. Meet some nice people there to show us the ropes. We shot three rounds and got better each time, that's the goal right? Anyway, it is something we will be doing more of in the future and a +1 to the club.

Any Skeet tips? I found myself wanted to get ahead of the target and wait for it. Im sure most of you know that is a bad practice, i soon realized this too. So as i kept shooting i kept working on moving smoothly following the clay and then leading it and then taking my shot. All in all on the last round i missed 7 clays.

9mm Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Lafayette
    I can't give any tips as I have only shot two rounds of skeet in the last few weeks. I think I am hooked. If I were to give a tip, it would be to keep practicing. It seems to be a great sport. Missing 7 birds in your second round seems to be pretty good to me.

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I, In my teens used to shoot skeet and trap regularly, since I and my family are avid "Wing" shooters.
    If you can teach yourself how to push your gune and pull your gun. Right to left, left to right.
    It is similar to shooting Dove and Quail.
    Your location is not far from me. I have a thrower at my parents. PM we can hook up for some simple shooting fun and a BBQ as all friends come.

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    I would reccomend Tod Benders video on skeet. also I would highly reccomend you take a lesson from Bob Self.............please be mindful of yours and others gun handeing......things get pretty sloppy out there... have fun :):)

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    A little cash spent with Bob Self is a good investment, and don't forget to take a new shooter with you once in a while. See you at the club!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Any Skeet tips?
    Some of the best written tips and diagrams I have ever seen fro Skeet and Trap were on Remington's web site. I have yet to see them since they revamped the site.

I saved them on a PC that is currently boxed up from our move. If you find them, put the link here.

Jeremy05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Greenwood
    I can tell you that I learned my trap gun does not work well for skeet. The first time I shot skeet I tried using my trap gun with a 32" barrel & I don't remember hitting much of anything. A few of my friends at the club let me use their skeet gun & it make a huge difference. That's my 2 cents.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I used an Ithaca pump, made in 1955, for trap, skeet, and clays for years, as well as for grouse, pheasant, and ducks.. It might just be in your head.

If you think you're gonna miss, you're probably right.

Jeremy05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Greenwood
    I used an Ithaca pump, made in 1955, for trap, skeet, and clays for years, as well as for grouse, pheasant, and ducks.. It might just be in your head.

If you think you're gonna miss, you're probably right.

My problem was with the 32" barrel. I had a hard time getting the gun to swing fast enough to follow the bird. The gun shoots trap great, but I could never do well with it on skeet. The barrel might just be psyching me out, who knows.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Get your gun moving early and keep it swinging. Nothing jerky, just a nice smooth swing. Whether you hit or miss, your gun should continue to swing. Consistency is key too, keeping your stance the same each time you go to a certain station.

best advice/tip: "Wood-to-wood!" Make sure you keep that head down on the stock. you dont need to look up to see th bird. itll still be flying plenty long enough to see it if you missed and its pretty hard to not see a hit when the clay explodes. keep that head down and have fun!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    My problem was with the 32" barrel. I had a hard time getting the gun to swing fast enough to follow the bird.

The gun can be the same, but the game is different!

It could be your feet and body are lined up wrong, stand with you feet and body facing where you want to shoot the bird, not where you see it first.

Also, you may be mounting the gun very early, and the you feel rushed trying to "catch it". Many shooters (skeet or live bird) have better luck watching the bird, then a mount and fire just as the stock comes up to your cheek. It can be very effective.

Call the Indiana Gun Club, ask for Bob Self (really great, patient instructor), and enjoy.

Top Bottom