• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    So I've bought a LOT of stuff online. Thousands of dollars worth over the years in fact. I have a side biz repairing and upgrading PCs (Newegg is my friend). So I am quite used to buying everything from hard drives and CPUs to comicbooks and clothing online. I been 'WebHobbit' on eBay since 2000. But I have never bought a gun online until very recently.

Last week I bought a Ruger Acuposrt Bisley Blackhawk .45 on GunBroker. Actually it's not really an Acusport as this was manufactured this year (so technically this is a parts "clean up gun"). But anyway let me tell you how the transaction went down.

I ordered from a dealer out of Illinois (2 hours from here actually). This guy had a good rep - thousands of A+ positives and only one neutral. And he'd been a member for many years so I figured it was worth the risk. A couple of oddities:

1) He would only accept a money order..no CC option

2) He would NOT accept emailed FFLs. He did accept faxed or snail-mailed copies however. In this day and age I find this completely baffling. Anything BOGUS that can be done with an email attachment can most certainly be done with a hard copy. After all doesn't the hard copy generally COME from a scanned copy from a computer?????????? And I am fairly certain that most (all?) FAX machines are not capapble of anywhere near the quality or resolution that can come from a GOOD crisp high rez scan attached to an email.

3) The guy would NOT answer ANY of my email questions which I sent after the auction ended. I didn't ask any before hand. After I asked him not once but twice for a tracking number. He never supplied that. I also asked him TWICE to acknowledge that he received my FFL holder's FAX. He never responded to that either. It seems to me if you are going to business of any kind online then you should make an effort to respond to ALL email messages quickly and efficiently. My own rule of thumb is to reply in LESS than 24 hours to any and all email sent my way.

But now the good:

I sent his money order priority mail and it was delivered in less than 24 hours. He sent the gun to me priority mail the SAME DAY and I got it in about 24 hours.

Ultimately I'm happy. The gun was indeed NIB and I got it quickly. We both left positive feedback for each other. So what I'm wondering is the inattention to email typical for GunBroker dealers or is this just luck of the draw?

I paid for a Ruger SP101 from JaxShooters on GunBroker on May 31st using my debit card. I've emailed them twice now for a tracking number (and also asking if it has shipped yet) and so far I got nothing. I know it hasn't been all that long but honestly I feel like when the seller has MY MONEY in hand they should be getting the box on the road rather quickly. To me 24 hours is long enough for them to have my money and NOT send my item.

Think I'm being impatient? This is the Internet...things move pretty fast (most of the time!)....if you can't keep up you should probably not be doing business here.

Opinions please.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Deal or not, I would never buy a used gun on the internet. You think you are getting gun A, and you wind up with gun B. To me, there is more risk envolved then reward.

dfcrane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Feb 25, 2011
    South West Indiana
    I have purchased several used guns on the internet and have never had a problem. In fact, the only two guns I have ever had a serious problem with were both purchased new.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I bought a 1903 an a 1903A3 from private individuals, out of state, using a FFL dealer for transfers. Both gentlemen were on the CMP forum....sent Postal Money orders....risk...yes....outcome....outstanding results.
    I recently purchased a M14/M1A from gunbroker...from a first time seller...Postal Money Order....risk....yes...outcome...outstanding!!!! I ask alot of questions before hand though an get a feel...any question ignored or not answered, I move on. I think in the case of the OP, since you got your rifle so fast, he may not of been back online with the time to answer your questions. I've talked to two FFL dealers, both don't like email either, they want to FAX....I think with FAX you get a confirmation they recieved what you sent, probably faster than email an waiting to see if an when they email back that they got it....?
    picture.php

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have purchased several firearms online, and have not had any problems. You did correct by first checking the reputation of the seller. I have only purchased from sellers with good ratings or dealers that can be verified.

As to not responding to emails, although that is rude, there are many people that don't check emails regularly which when you are selling something, and people have questions, is very stupid. There is a remote possibility (playing devil's advocate) that the seller has a spam filter and for some reason your email location is treated as spam and blocked. Of course if you used Gunbroker's contact seller feature, than the seller was just rude.

As to your problem with Jax, we firearm owners are the most impatient people on earth (me included) and sometimes a seller cannot get a firearm out the same day. Like just missing the UPS truck leaving the building. Or in rare cases has a family emergency and it takes two days to get something mailed, and due to that emergency cannot get to a computer and do the proper thing and email you with the reason for the delay.

Regardless, I would give them another day or so before pushing the panic button. ;)

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    shootersjax once sent a RRA AR to my local FFL and used the wrong zip code. Fedex took 17 days to deliver. I was irate. Fedex was contacted by me and the seller and all they would do is return to sender. When it did arrive, it was signed for and dropped off at a neighboring business of the FFL.

I know this is a bit odd, and mostly just a shipping error, but I buy local for everything now.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I buy almost everything online, EXCEPT firearms. I'm not completely opposed to the online purchase of guns, but I'm willing to pay a little more to inspect it before I buy. While this tends to help local gun stores, I have to admit it has more to do with me than helping them... call it "Rational Self Interest."

Top Bottom