• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Last time someone told me "think of the children" (I know you were joking)
    I told them, "I am. Why aren't you? If somebody comes through the door mad at the world, you're going to be useless holding your hand up saying stop"

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Last time someone told me "think of the children" (I know you were joking)
    I told them, "I am. Why aren't you? If somebody comes through the door mad at the world, you're going to be useless holding your hand up saying stop"
    I wasn't joking. 88GT OCs a Glock. That could scar children for life! Now, if she were OCing a 1911 it would be a different story.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I tend to comment in a manner that plants a seed and let them fuss with the consequences of whether or not it sprouts. I don't have to time to change someone's mind whose first response is negative.

I find that to be true of you here as well.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I wasn't joking. 88GT OCs a Glock. That could scar children for life! Now, if she were OCing a 1911 it would be a different story.
    Bazinga! :lmfao:

I find that to be true of you here as well.
    I try. I fail a lot too. Goodness knows I fail a lot. But in my defense, INGO gets treated like family/friends, which for my sphere necessarily means unload both barrels at once and cleaning up the mess over a beer later. There must be some Irish in me roots because we're a hot-headed bunch to be sure.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    ADDITION: I've also had my first LEO interaction about 3 or 4 days ago. I was stopped for speeding (60-65 in a 55 - We'll get to that). I was pulled over by a county sheriff on an unmarked road for speed. The officer approached my vehicle on the passenger side and went through the normal routine. Figured I'd avoid any trouble and handed him my DL and my LTCH. He asked me if I was carrying my handgun today and I replied yes. He asked where it was and I pointed to it. I had it in between the seats. He asked if I knew why he was pulling me over and I replied "No." He then told me he would like to hold on my firearm while we were stopped and it struck me as a bit odd, but I complied and surrendered my firearm. He opened the passenger door while asking me if there was a round in the chamber, I replied "No." and he retrieved the firearm and took it with him to his patrol vehicle. It took about 5-10 minutes for him to run all my information and he returned and said he was going to give me a VERBAL warning. This struck me as a bit odd as well, but I didn't think too much of it. He then proceeded to tell me to keep my speed down with the ice and such and returned my firearm with the magazine out and the slide back. I got to thinking after the incident, did he have any legal ground to confiscate my firearm if I refused? Am I even allowed to refuse during a traffic stop? I wanted to be as compliant as possible to avoid a ticket (last thing I need at this point). But in case it ever happens again, what legal/constitutional grounds do I have? I've tried doing my research but I haven't been able to come up with any solid answers. Any information would be greatly appreciated for future reference. Thanks guys!

Also, to all the PM's, I don't have 50 posts yet so I can't reply. But thanks!

What research have you done so far?

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I recently started carrying a couple months ago, now i put it on and forget about it. And ive only been approached a couple times and questioned in the same manner. I typically keep it short and simple, telling them I have the right to protect myself and I'm sorry if they are scared of being safe.

at first I didnt carry with one in the chamber. I wanted to make sure I was absolutely comfortable before doing that. I practiced my 4 rules, and made a habit of them before i even considered. Then i practiced drawing from holster (empty of course) to ensure I wouldnt put my finger in the trigger guard. Practice unholstering (check first) and you will be suprised how few times the gun would have been discharged. Keep your finger away from where it doesnt belong and there is nothing to worry about.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I did it once with my Glock. All I could think of was everyone staring at me.... Then pointing and laughing in unison for my gun of choice.
    Ah, well. I get pointed at and laughed at with or without the Glock. If I wear the Glock I can rationalize that it's the Glock they're laughing at and not me.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I did it once with my Glock. All I could think of was everyone staring at me.... Then pointing and laughing in unison for my gun of choice.

Ah, well. I get pointed at and laughed at with or without the Glock. If I wear the Glock I can rationalize that it's the Glock they're laughing at and not me.
    You two are just bringing it upon yourselves! Think of how much cooler the other kids would think you are if you were OCing something more exotic!

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    FIFY

It went a little something like this:

*at the gas station paying for gas and cigarettes*

Woman behind counter: Is that a gun?
    Me: Yes.
    Woman: Are you a police officer?
    Me: No.
    Woman: Oh... That's scary. :runaway:
    Me: Why?
    Woman: Because you might have a round chambered
    Me: Yeah, that scares me too...
    *awkward silence*
    Woman: Your total is $55.62.

*end of conversation*

Took me a while to get over the fear of carrying chambered. Carried cocked and locked on an empty chamber for a few weeks and the hammer never fell. After practicing that way a while I got over my fear and now have a round chambered. As you play out those scenarios in your mind think about the consequences of not being ready to defend yourself with an empty chamber (noise/delay getting your gun ready).

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I have no particular wisdom to add but figured that I'd chime in as a new carrier myself (three weeks maybe?). I do chamber a round. I don't carry all the time (for instance to and from work) but if I'm out and about I have been. I have only CC'd so I have no experience with being questioned by the public. I think you did fine. If I was questioned in that way I'd keep my answers short and matter-of-fact like you did. I don't see myself as a public educator. That's cool if it's your thing though.

Regarding the LEO interaction, I'd probably lean towards complying, though it may not be the prevalent attitude here. If it was holstered with a chambered round I'd probably suggest to the officer that it might be safer to leave the gun holstered in place as opposed to unholstering it, but if he seemed insistent I'd probably let him hold on to the weapon. I'm assuming he's doing it for his (perceived) safety and not just to be an ass.

Generally speaking, if I felt like a LEO mishandled something with a stop I'd be more inclined to pursue it later rather than get into a spat on the scene. That's just me.

Last edited:

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    ADDITION: I've also had my first LEO interaction about 3 or 4 days ago. I was stopped for speeding (60-65 in a 55 - We'll get to that). I was pulled over by a county sheriff on an unmarked road for speed. The officer approached my vehicle on the passenger side and went through the normal routine. Figured I'd avoid any trouble and handed him my DL and my LTCH. He asked me if I was carrying my handgun today and I replied yes. He asked where it was and I pointed to it. I had it in between the seats. He asked if I knew why he was pulling me over and I replied "No." He then told me he would like to hold on my firearm while we were stopped and it struck me as a bit odd, but I complied and surrendered my firearm. He opened the passenger door while asking me if there was a round in the chamber, I replied "No." and he retrieved the firearm and took it with him to his patrol vehicle. It took about 5-10 minutes for him to run all my information and he returned and said he was going to give me a VERBAL warning. This struck me as a bit odd as well, but I didn't think too much of it. He then proceeded to tell me to keep my speed down with the ice and such and returned my firearm with the magazine out and the slide back. I got to thinking after the incident, did he have any legal ground to confiscate my firearm if I refused? Am I even allowed to refuse during a traffic stop? I wanted to be as compliant as possible to avoid a ticket (last thing I need at this point). But in case it ever happens again, what legal/constitutional grounds do I have? I've tried doing my research but I haven't been able to come up with any solid answers. Any information would be greatly appreciated for future reference. Thanks guys!

Also, to all the PM's, I don't have 50 posts yet so I can't reply. But thanks!

Unfortunately, they do have the right to disarm you. I believe a high court, possibly the supreme court, ruled an officer has the right to disarm you for their safety. In Indiana you do not have to inform an officer that you have a weapon on you. Do not lie if asked though. Either truthfully answer or refuse to answer. Refusing to answer is a great way to avoid this situation. Many people suggest you simply reply: "I have nothing illegal" to that question.

However, what he most likely did was took the gun back to his car and ran the serial to make sure it was not stolen. In my opinion that is crossing the line because they are then "searching" without cause or authorization. In fact, had your gun actually been stolen and the officer discovered it through that means I'm betting a judge would be forced to throw the case out because of the illegal search.

Even if you don't think that is all that bad consider this: They probably have recorded the serial number and the fact that the gun belongs to you. Indiana may not force you to register your handguns but you pretty much just had yours "registered". In addition to that many people have had their guns returned to them in pieces.

I really wish they would not be allowed to disarm you for a simple traffic stop. If someone was going to shoot an officer they would never turn it over anyways and would probably start shooting before the officer even makes the request. Also, the gun is most like fully loaded with a round in the chamber and the officer is most likely not familiar with your specific gun. This makes the whole encounter more dangerous for you and the officer.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Unfortunately, they do have the right to disarm you. I believe a high court, possibly the supreme court, ruled an officer has the right to disarm you for their safety. In Indiana you do not have to inform an officer that you have a weapon on you. Do not lie if asked though. Either truthfully answer or refuse to answer. Refusing to answer is a great way to avoid this situation. Many people suggest you simply reply: "I have nothing illegal" to that question.

However, what he most likely did was took the gun back to his car and ran the serial to make sure it was not stolen. In my opinion that is crossing the line because they are then "searching" without cause or authorization. In fact, had your gun actually been stolen and the officer discovered it through that means I'm betting a judge would be forced to throw the case out because of the illegal search.

Even if you don't think that is all that bad consider this: They probably have recorded the serial number and the fact that the gun belongs to you. Indiana may not force you to register your handguns but you pretty much just had yours "registered". In addition to that many people have had their guns returned to them in pieces.

I really wish they would not be allowed to disarm you for a simple traffic stop. If someone was going to shoot an officer they would never turn it over anyways and would probably start shooting before the officer even makes the request. Also, the gun is most like fully loaded with a round in the chamber and the officer is most likely not familiar with your specific gun. This makes the whole encounter more dangerous for you and the officer.

No.
    And Yes.

They can disarm you if they can articulate a NEED to disarm you.
    RAS. Reasonable Articulate Suspicion.

Top Bottom