• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Op, gonna reiterate what biscuit and a few others posted in their response. If you have not taken a class on how to draw, I encourage you to do so. There is a definite procedure on drawing your weapon. Practice the correct draw without a coat, outer shirt, sweatshirt ,etc. when you have the muscle memory down on the correct method, then put on the different garments you will wear during the different seasons. Practice clearing your various garments until you feel comfortable with drawing your weapon.

As you dress for the day, take some time before you leave your home and do a few practice draws, especially if you are wearing a new garment. My point is that there is a very specific method to clear different garments. Good luck and congratulations.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Just about everyone goes through the same sequence of carrying. At first, it feels like you are doing something wrong and that everyone can plainly see the concealed gun. Eventually, you relax and with a bit of time you'll get to the point of feeling odd without a gun on you. The key to carrying is to buy good gear and then try to wear it out through practice. You probably won't be able to wear it out, but you should practice, practice, practice until you worry that you might wear things out.

One tool that's very handy for practice is the LaserLyte training cartridge. They are expensive at around $100, but are worth every penny. They let you drop a laser cartridge into your chamber and there is a brief spot of laser when you pull the trigger. Using those let you get a lot of first shot draw practice in.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    You're supposed to go to Walmart!!! Nearly all INGO "first time carry" stories involve Walmart, gotta keep with tradition!

My first time was at staples attempting to get my LTCH copied. I agree though, you have not arrived until you carry at Walmart.

Just about everyone goes through the same sequence of carrying. At first, it feels like you are doing something wrong and that everyone can plainly see the concealed gun. Eventually, you relax and with a bit of time you'll get to the point of feeling odd without a gun on you.

Yep. When I first started carrying concealed all I could think about was stuff like "am I printing" or "did my shirt run up and reveal my gun". You also feel like someone is always noticing or about to notice. In reality, even if you are printing really bad probably no one will notice or figure out what it is. In fact, people are so unaware of their surroundings it is almost pathetic. The only people who will notice are other carriers and obviously they wont care.

The other issue I had when I was a beginner was constantly "feeling" for the gun to make sure it is there. In part this was due to having a holster (supertuck) that literally made it feel like the gun was gone. In fact, I still sometimes swear the gun is gone and have to do a feel check.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Carry around the house so you get used to your holster and gun.

Don't touch it. You might as well open carry if you are going to touch your gun every five minutes to make sure it is there and still concealed.

Always carry (where legal). It is amazing how often the situation comes up where you should have a gun available and when that happens you want it on your hip, not in the car or at home. My most recent was someone wondering into my business office off the street wanting to commit suicide. It was a nonviolent encounter handled by the police but I was ready if things turned bad.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Don't touch it. You might as well open carry if you are going to touch your gun every five minutes to make sure it is there and still concealed.

Touching the top of a holstered gun is okay to make sure it is there or even fully holstered. Of course, every five minutes is overkill.

Top Bottom