• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    OK, goin up to bradis sat, and most likely goin to get my first 1911. Any suggestions???? Trying to diversify my portfolio..... im not rich by any means,so take into account any acccesories/upgrades available. Preferably full size model. I would say at the very most 800-900$. Im really liking the S&W models, but also looking at some taurus models as well. Im not into buying for the name, although i understand u get what you pay for. Any 1911 guys wana help me out? Thanks everyone.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    OK, goin up to bradis sat, and most likely goin to get my first 1911. Any suggestions???? Trying to diversify my portfolio..... im not rich by any means,so take into account any acccesories/upgrades available. I would say at the very most 1100$. Im really liking the S&W models, but also looking at some taurus models as well. Im not into buying for the name, although i understand u get what you pay for. Any 1911 guys wana help me out? Thanks everyone.

Just stick with quality, for 1100.00 you can get something really nice. I've been really impressed lately with the pistols Colt has been putting out, be sure to post if you pick something up.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    For 1100 bucks you could get a lot of 1911 for the money.

I would look to see if they have a Loaded or any used semi-custom 1911's there.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    My Regent has been great to me so far, and I'm thinking about the Regent R200s for my girlfriend. Heard lots of good things about Springfield and Sig 1911s, also the Magnum Research 1911 gets pretty good reviews. Rock Island has a lot of fans, and that cant be by accident. If you're not adverse to a 9mm 1911, Rock Island makes one with a combo for 9mm/.22tcm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Springfield Loaded or a field officer. The F.O. is a really good gun and it is in your price range. I have 2 of them. Why I do not know but I do. I like my Colts and Para's but the Springers are my favorites right now. They also offer a GI Mil. Spec that is well in your budget. This is of course only my humble opinion.

Edit....be very careful not to feed it after midnight as they will multiply.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Edit....be very careful not to feed it after midnight as they will multiply.[/QUOTE]

Hell, thats with any firearm. LOL:draw:

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    i do like some of the sigs. very nice. i have my list as:
    S&W
    sig
    Springfield
    colt
    Taurus (good bang for your buck) no pun intended.

KImber still to expensive although very nice guns.

AXE835

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    East central Indiana
    Like churchmouse said the Springfields are in your buget I got a GI mil spec in SS love it. Even had a few Colts for a few dollars more but that was a couple years ago. I did put a STI match trigger on it and a Wilson Combat hammer/sear combo in it and changed to a beavertail backstrap safety. S&W are good too and made in the USA:patriot:. Just make sure it fits you and is comfortable in your hands. Good luck!!:twocents:

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Im also thinking bout goin with something a little cheaper like the taurus, and doin as much upgrades as possible while staying under budget. But, i dnt really know much about 1911's so i dnt exactly know what type of upgrade is available for something like that, or upgrades for 1911's at all.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    If going for something to start with to feel the platform out-Rocks are a good place to start.

The Remingtons are worth a close look too!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Im also thinking bout goin with something a little cheaper like the taurus, and doin as much upgrades as possible while staying under budget. But, i dnt really know much about 1911's so i dnt exactly know what type of upgrade is available for something like that, or upgrades for 1911's at all.
    Why spend the exact same amount for a gun that you can buy already with the fixings?

I don't understand that mentality sometimes (Unless you want to do the work yourself, but you said you don't know much about em)

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Thats exactly why i have this so called mentality. I dont know exaclty what types of upgrades are available for this platform, hence, i dont know exaclty what comes with what and what needs/can be upgraded. Thats the whole reason for this thread is to get as much info as possible on these types of things.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    i do like some of the sigs. very nice. i have my list as:
    S&W
    sig
    Springfield
    colt
    Taurus (good bang for your buck) no pun intended.

KImber still to expensive although very nice guns.

I have have read a few have had problem with the S&W's external extracter's pin working loose jamming up the gun entirely. I think S&W has since corrected this issue but IDK for sure. I belive it was the new E-models that this was happening to.

The Sig also has an external extracter but Ive never heard of them having this problem.

Colt, Sig, Springfield would be my choices but YMMV.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    now that list is based off looks and price, as ive stated before i dnt have much knowledge when it comes to this platform. thank you for that info.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I would not do the Taurus as an up-grade platform. It is an OK gun for the money and just a shooter but you will be wasting your money and time putting any parts on one. If you want to do some work yourself I still recommend a Springer as you will realize some good results from your efforts. Try a Field officer and you may just leave it along. Not much needed on those if it just for shooting enjoyment.
    A Springer loaded would need zero upgrades. Again...JMHO

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    all opinions and info are appreciated. i wasnt born with this knowledge so anytime i can speak and listen to someone who is much more informed on this topic is appreciated. please keep the opinions coming.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    all opinions and info are appreciated. i wasnt born with this knowledge so anytime i can speak and listen to someone who is much more informed on this topic is appreciated. please keep the opinions coming.

Thats what we are here for! :yesway:

I agree with Churchmouse. If you want a good gun to start with then spend a little more and pick up a Springer Loaded or a Colt XSE.

The Springfield Loaded and the Colt XSE are pretty well even as far as quality and Bang for the buck IMHO.

I dont even consider Taurus a gun maker. I think of them as novelty items and expensive paper weights but that is bc of poor personal experiance by myself and multiple members of my family.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Last edited:

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I would humbly suggest an entry level Springfield 1911-A1 Mil Spec. Sure, the finish is not that great, as it is phosphated or "Parkerized", however, it should be within your budget to start. Save money initially, shoot some ammo through it to verify its functionality and then save your nickels and dimes for:

Good Sights: Fixed or Adjustable, your choice
    Internal parts: possibly a different trigger, sear, grip safety
    Finish: Parkerizing is a good base for hardchrome, DuraCoat, or Cerakote
    Niceties: Wood stocks, VZ stocks, Alumigrips, etc.

Like some folks have said: Don't put s**t on your gun.

Have sights you can see, a trigger you can manage.

Top Bottom