• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protongun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Going to purchase my first 1911 within the next few months and am stronly looking at the Smith and Wesson or Springfield (loaded) model (trying to keep price under $850). I would appreciate some opinions on these brands. thanks!

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I prefer Springfields for person preference reasons (Series 70, internal extractor). I hear Smith makes a decent 1911 though.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Going to purchase my first 1911 within the next few months and am stronly looking at the Smith and Wesson or Springfield (loaded) model (trying to keep price under $850). I would appreciate some opinions on these brands. thanks!

I have a Springfield loaded and love it other than being olive drab green:D,
    has performed perfect with no mechanical problems. But I have been thinking of getting a Taurus 1911 lately due to it's affordable pricing and nice features.
    Also both Springfield and Taurus have lifetime warranties.

But remember, it's what you think that counts, find a range that rents and see what you prefer. Just my :twocents:.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    there is always rock island as well. for $429 I don't think you can really go wrong with a RIA as a first 1911. I am really happy with mine so far.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    there is always rock island as well. for $429 I don't think you can really go wrong with a RIA as a first 1911. I am really happy with mine so far.

Actually, my experience with four of the RIAs is that they need cleaned up before they're reliable. The factory leaves burrs and flashing inside the gun and until you go over the gun and clean everything out, they may not run right. I've also experience soft parts that needed replacement.

I would suggest sticking with Springfield, S&W, Taurus, Kimber or even Colt (they can be had for under $800).

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I would also add that sticking to a full size for the first one is a good idea. Anyone else here can chime in and let me know if I am wrong, but I think you have fewer problems with the full size due to the tensions involved with the shorter barreled versions.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Also check out an STI Trojan or Spartan. Good company that supports the shooting sports.

Those are great choices if he plans to mostly do target or competition shooting. I wouldn't use something with adjustable target sights for self defense. Too much to go wrong. The Ranger II looks pretty nice though. ;)

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I purchased a new loaded Springfield earlier this year for around $750. I am very satisfied with it and really have no complaints. I am not familiar with any SW.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I have two S&W's and a Springfield. Feel free to IM me and we'll take a trip to the range to get the feel of my S&W's. I will not shoot the Springfield.

I wanted both. The Smith & Wesson's have external extractors and the Springfield has internal extractor.
    I would love to buy or trade for another Springfield or even Kimber with an internal extractor.

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    I've had/have Kimber, Springfield and S&W. All are nice and would serve you well. Springfield and S&W both have lifetime warranties, Kimber does not. My personal preference is S&W. Primarily due to their excellent customer service. All shoot/shot extremely well. I think it's important to determine what you want it for. CC, target, plinking...Again, all are nice weapons and I'm certain you'd be happy with any of them. I have also heard really good things about Rock Island and Taurus. If this is your first 1911, it might be a good idea to start with one of them and see how you like it. One word of caution - once you buy one, you will likely need more...

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I own both and if I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the stainless S&W vs. the blued (or whatever it is) that I purchased. It's a HORRIBLE finish, it practically rubs off. It's a reliable shooter though, I have no complaints in the reliability department.

I have a number of Springfield 1911's. After having owned most of the top brands, I've settled on the SA's. My TRP's are my favorite pistols by far. The fit and finish of the TRP is far superior to the S&W. But then it costs several hundred dollars more too.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I own both and if I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the stainless S&W vs. the blued (or whatever it is) that I purchased. It's a HORRIBLE finish, it practically rubs off. It's a reliable shooter though, I have no complaints in the reliability department.

I have a number of Springfield 1911's. After having owned most of the top brands, I've settled on the SA's. My TRP's are my favorite pistols by far. The fit and finish of the TRP is far superior to the S&W. But then it costs several hundred dollars more too.
    :+1: My smith started to rust after carrying it for a while. I noticed the finish rubbing off and thought it should be under warranty but I don't want to let loose of it and send it back to S&W because it is such a great shooter! The rust on the smith is the reason I do not want to carry my S.A.

protongun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    :+1: My smith started to rust after carrying it for a while. I noticed the finish rubbing off and thought it should be under warranty but I don't want to let loose of it and send it back to S&W because it is such a great shooter! The rust on the smith is the reason I do not want to carry my S.A.

Do you have the blued smith model as well...that started to rust?

Top Bottom